The Student Room Group

Edexcel A2 Biology Unit 5 (6BIO5) - 22/06/2011- OFFICIAL THREAD !

Scroll to see replies

It says on salters nuffield A2 book page 174 that marathones are tend to be scheduled in early morning to reduce the chance of heart stroke. Whats the reason for that?
Reply 2181
Original post by yagmurainie
It says on salters nuffield A2 book page 174 that marathones are tend to be scheduled in early morning to reduce the chance of heart stroke. Whats the reason for that?

Maybe because it is hotter in the afternoons, I thinks it is usually cooler in the mornings.
I'm a bit confused now.
Dystrophy is a kind of wasting due to disease and the death of muscle cells, rite? so it does not involve the UPP in wasting?
Then, are those treatments effective for dystrophy patients like disabling Foxo...?
Original post by ethiokid
Maybe because it is hotter in the afternoons, I thinks it is usually cooler in the mornings.

Makes sense thx :smile:
Reply 2184
what is the ubiquitin protease pathway?
I'm a bit confused now.
Dystrophy is a kind of wasting due to disease and the death of muscle cells, rite? so it does not involve the UPP in wasting?
Then, are those treatments effective for dystrophy patients like disabling Foxo...?
Reply 2186
Original post by CHemgeo

Original post by CHemgeo
what is the ubiquitin protease pathway?

It's a pathway that basically breaks down protein in to constituent components, ie amino acids.

It works by the following:
1- Ubiquitin labels the protein that needs that needs to be broken down by binding to it.
2- Then the Ubiquitin protein complex binds to proteosomes
3- The polypeptide protein chain starts to unfold and passes into the proteosomes
4- The Ubiquitin is released
5- The polypeptide is hydrolysed into peptides and amino acids.

If this occurs in muscle this would essentially break down the muscle, causing the patient to become weaker and weaker.
Reply 2187
Original post by sadbuttrue92

Original post by sadbuttrue92
I'm a bit confused now.

Well Foxo is a transcription factor that controls the switching on and off, of the atrogenes. The atrogenes cause atrophy so by suppressing the Foxo transcrition factors we ensure that atrogenes switched on. Thus it will not be transcribed into mRNA.

So the answer to your question is yes, if the right atrogene is found it will be an effective way of fighting dystrophy.
Reply 2188
Original post by BustyLaRouge
Check page 181
and also i rewrote out the diagram of how epo works.

We did a spider diagram in class of everything particularly important in the article and also key words. I also highlighted stuff in the article I thought was particularly relevant and made a note on topics to look over

This is a protein kinase cascade :smile:

ahh thank you :smile:

page 181 in which book? I have the orange SNAB book and the revision guide
Reply 2189
Original post by LibbyU

EPO is page 191 in orange snab book
Any ideas on how to answer:

"what is the role of animal models in research?"

i cant write much about it?
Reply 2191
Original post by chemdweeb1234
Any ideas on how to answer:

"what is the role of animal models in research?"

i cant write much about it?

maybe think about hubel and wiesel's experiments on monkeys and kittens which taught us about the critical window.

animals allow us to do experiments which would other wise to unethical on humans so they do have a role in the respect.
Need an elaboration of pavlov's dog experiment......i am nt geting what is conditioned reflex...a help would be apreciated
It's a pathway that basically breaks down protein in to constituent components, ie amino acids.

It works by the following:
1- Ubiquitin labels the protein that needs that needs to be broken down by binding to it.
2- Then the Ubiquitin protein complex binds to proteosomes
3- The polypeptide protein chain starts to unfold and passes into the proteosomes
4- The Ubiquitin is released
5- The polypeptide is hydrolysed into peptides and amino acids.

If this occurs in muscle this would essentially break down the muscle, causing the patient to become weaker and weaker.

what is this :smile: lool i never saw this thing..? is it in the syllabus? anywhere in book? plz help
Reply 2194
Original post by abuelzouz
what is this :smile: lool i never saw this thing..? is it in the syllabus? anywhere in book? plz help

its in the prerelease page 7 paragraph 4 (after active atrophy)
maybe think about hubel and wiesel's experiments on monkeys and kittens which taught us about the critical window.

animals allow us to do experiments which would other wise to unethical on humans so they do have a role in the respect.

got that... i was thinking along the lines of other advantages... such as whether the data from these animal experiments can be extrapolated to humans because they share a common evolutionary background? or they have similar nervous systems?
Original post by LibbyU

I have the Edexcel students book haha... Dunno if that's one you have :tongue:
Original post by abuelzouz
what is this :smile: lool i never saw this thing..? Is it in the syllabus? Anywhere in book? Plz help

you havent read anything have you? Its in the freaking article, you better start your revision
Original post by Ayostunner
Hi guys im tryig to find the Topic 8 spec notes...does anyone have them?

Tkoki1993's Note I have it, send me your email addy and i will message it to you
Reply 2199
Original post by darkiee
Tkoki1993's Note I have it, send me your email addy and i will message it to you

Plz mail them to me too!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending