The Student Room Group

REVISION! AQA English Language: B - 24th of June 2011

A week before the big day!:goodnight:

Just set it up to make a 'drop-in' style thread, since I found some forums for spec A and not B!:hmpf:

Just some revision help and stuff, and ideas :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
What sort of stuff are you revising and how are you doing it??
Reply 2
I'm revising my A01 stuff thoroughly, because it weighs up most marks, and just revising over theorists. I need some help with essay structures
This is the one exam I feel relatively confident about, thank God!
Reply 4
Nobody seems to have a structure. I sort of have one for acquisition, but the change section is almost wholly dependent on the question. If anybody has any structures for language change i would appreciate it very much.
Original post by Mfreeman.
If anybody has any structures for language change i would appreciate it very much.

I would recommend always looking at lexical changes first. Often they have the biggest scope to elaborate on and can lead into how words are formed (compounding, clipping etc - plus you get ao1 & 2 marks for that). Plus after the lexical choice you tend to notice pragmatics... :smile:

after that, it's whatever you notice.

Really it is dependant on the text but I personally would always aim to look at lexis first....

Hope it helps :biggrin:
Reply 6
Original post by cheekycustardcream
I would recommend always looking at lexical changes first. Often they have the biggest scope to elaborate on and can lead into how words are formed (compounding, clipping etc - plus you get ao1 & 2 marks for that). Plus after the lexical choice you tend to notice pragmatics... :smile:

after that, it's whatever you notice.

Really it is dependant on the text but I personally would always aim to look at lexis first....

Hope it helps :biggrin:

Definitely, I think it is so tempting to blag on about context and it can be easy to digress. I'm relatively confident for this exam too :smile::colondollar:
Grammar and Phonology are the highest markers!! Make sure you find some stuff for them :smile:
Reply 8
does anyone have any notes for language change? I had an inadequate teacher and have had to basically teaching myself the whole thing lol -_-
Reply 9
Original post by allaboutdrama
Grammar and Phonology are the highest markers!! Make sure you find some stuff for them :smile:

what for acquisition and change?:smile:
Reply 10
I'm fairly good with remembering English Terminology, which is lucky as I've only just started reading through them today. :tongue: I'm going to make a fairly large mind map, as I'm only focusing on Speech [barely on Reading]. Language Change I find to just learn some terminology for words, and how they change. Also it might be a good idea to brush up on AS [Gender - Lakoff].

For structure, I go by frameworks to make sure I cover EVERYTHING, and so I don't flit backwards and forwards. Grammar, Lexis/Semantics, CDS[if applicable], Graphology [again, if applicable, i.e: Reading question], Discourse and Phonology. I go through these when annotating and make relevant points, you shouldn't try to go through and analyse every line, it's best to make fewer points, with detailed explanations as to why, including contextual factors, etc.

I cannot WAIT to get this exam over with.
Original post by linnynewby
what for acquisition and change?:smile:

yes!!! phonology not so much for language change though, but examiners love them both!

oh and pragmatics!! (my teachers on the exam board)
Reply 12
Original post by Mehhhx
I'm fairly good with remembering English Terminology, which is lucky as I've only just started reading through them today. :tongue: I'm going to make a fairly large mind map, as I'm only focusing on Speech [barely on Reading]. Language Change I find to just learn some terminology for words, and how they change. Also it might be a good idea to brush up on AS [Gender - Lakoff].

For structure, I go by frameworks to make sure I cover EVERYTHING, and so I don't flit backwards and forwards. Grammar, Lexis/Semantics, CDS[if applicable], Graphology [again, if applicable, i.e: Reading question], Discourse and Phonology. I go through these when annotating and make relevant points, you shouldn't try to go through and analyse every line, it's best to make fewer points, with detailed explanations as to why, including contextual factors, etc.

I cannot WAIT to get this exam over with.

I'm going over everything thoroughly, cos they're have been some past papers where a speech section, has gone onto them reading and all sorts of stuff can be brought up! Like network-building, and overextensions and Piaget :smile:
I know what you mean though, I'm going over terms, and unlike other subjects, I'm like wooo I know them!
Reply 13
Original post by allaboutdrama
yes!!! phonology not so much for language change though, but examiners love them both!

oh and pragmatics!! (my teachers on the exam board)

oh great! My teacher marks a level papers, so she can give us some insight but not tons if you know what I mean.

See this is why I love TSR :rolleyes:
Reply 14
I got told you get the higher marks for Grammar than anything else, so keep that in mind, too! There's ALWAYS a lot with Grammar as they're young kids :tongue:

And yeah, I find you can generally combine reading and speech together for one instance. I say just remember the key theorists for each, and the terminology can pretty much be applied to any section.

I'm a bit unsure of Language Change, I always run out of things to say. All I know is you pick out words of importance, look at their connotations [then and now], what they denote, and why that change has occured? Idk but there never seems much to talk about. /shrug. I think 2 and 1/2 hours is a bit of a luxury to be honest!
Reply 15
i love english language.

i hate this exam board.

resitting for an A* and a place at cambridge, hope you guys all get the results you want too :tongue:

tips? er... make a timeline for relevant dates/periods to mention in language change questions. with glitter, to make it all a little more memorable. and flashcards for language acquisition theorists.

if anyone else has spent the past few months reading up for a linguistics degree, don't do what i did in january and digress from the specification entirely just so you can write fanfic on david crystal :facepalm:
Reply 16
Original post by Mehhhx
I got told you get the higher marks for Grammar than anything else, so keep that in mind, too! There's ALWAYS a lot with Grammar as they're young kids :tongue:

And yeah, I find you can generally combine reading and speech together for one instance. I say just remember the key theorists for each, and the terminology can pretty much be applied to any section.

I'm a bit unsure of Language Change, I always run out of things to say. All I know is you pick out words of importance, look at their connotations [then and now], what they denote, and why that change has occured? Idk but there never seems much to talk about. /shrug. I think 2 and 1/2 hours is a bit of a luxury to be honest!

yeah with grammar you can go to town with syntax and morphology ect etc...
as with Language change it's lots of denotations, semantic drifts and neologisms, and how our historical context has given us the vast synonyms we have, I think I'll struggle most with Language Change!

I live near Newcastle Uni, and a few months ago there was an AQA language B conference there for a-level, and the exam board people were there, including the writer of the papers! I mentioned how I'd find it harder to write for contemporary language change, like Late Modern English, and she gave me some notes. Also, some concepts for A02. I can try and write them up if you lot want?
Reply 17
Original post by Happilyme
does anyone have any notes for language change? I had an inadequate teacher and have had to basically teaching myself the whole thing lol -_-

Yeah my teacher is the same, I drifted through this year, and have just used my textbook really. :mad2:
Reply 18
Original post by linnynewby
yeah with grammar you can go to town with syntax and morphology ect etc...
as with Language change it's lots of denotations, semantic drifts and neologisms, and how our historical context has given us the vast synonyms we have, I think I'll struggle most with Language Change!

I live near Newcastle Uni, and a few months ago there was an AQA language B conference there for a-level, and the exam board people were there, including the writer of the papers! I mentioned how I'd find it harder to write for contemporary language change, like Late Modern English, and she gave me some notes. Also, some concepts for A02. I can try and write them up if you lot want?

That would be amazing if you can spare the time? :smile:
Yes i really find language change hard!!!

I think if we get a comparative text that will be a lot easier, but i feel like there isn't enough to say really! will have to try and ace cla haha!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending