The Student Room Group

June 2011 G485-Fields, Particles and Frontiers of Physics

Scroll to see replies

Reply 760
Original post by Oh my Ms. Coffey
(8piGp/3)^-0.5 = Age I think.

p = Density
G = Newtons gravitational constant

That's using the formula for the critical density of the universe, not the actual density of it. We can only give the possible fates using that.

Edit: Actually, that gives us the average density, the critical density is the density required for it to be flat..my mistake! :tongue:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by XST
That's using the formula for the critical density of the universe, not the actual density of it. We can only give the possible fates using that.

Not sure how you would answer the question..

Current estimates of the density of the universe are close to the critical density though.
Reply 763
Let's all have a Physics conservation.
Bed time for me :flutter:
Reply 765
Oh my days I'm such a nerd, I just memorized the whole of the evolution of the universe, the exact times, temperatures and everything.

Oh my days such a nerd...
Reply 766

Could you give me a model answer to the above question please

okay basically the picture wont work but its the one about MRI scanner june 2010 Q5
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 767
Original post by MRHellen

Could you give me a model answer to the above question please

okay basically the picture wont work but its the one about MRI scanner june 2010 Q5

1. Protons possess a property known as spin
2. In a strong magnetic field, the protons line up and all precess around their axis at the same frequency (Larmor Frequency)
3. A radiofrequency is applied at the Larmor frequency causing the protons to become excited and flip on their axis.
4. Depending on the protons' environment, they will relax at different times and emit an identical radio frequency to the one absorbed.
5. Relaxtion time allows you to know the material in which the proton exists.
6. Small magnets can be placed to create a gradient in the magnetic field.
7. This changes the Larmor frequency at specific points, and a specific radio frequency can be applied to those points.
8. This allows the computer to know in 3D where the proton is in the body and the type of material it is in.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 768
How many marks is it?
Reply 769

Jesus, I could never sleep this early.

Me too me thinks.

A long day that began with C4 and another early start tomorrow for Physics and General Studies... :indiff: .. May read me book for an hour first though :wink:
Reply 771
Original post by XST
1. Protons possess a property known as spin
2. In a strong magnetic field, the protons line up and all precess around their axis at the same frequency (Larmor Frequency)
3. A radiofrequency is applied at the Larmor frequency causing the protons to become excited and flip on their axis.
4. Depending on the protons' environment, they will relax at different times and emit an identical radio frequency to the one absorbed.
5. Relaxtion time allows you to know the material in which the proton exists.
6. Small magnets can be placed to create a gradient in the magnetic field.
7. This changes the Larmor frequency at specific points, and a specific radio frequency can be applied to those points.
8. This allows the computer to know in 3D where the proton is in the body and the type of material it is in.

Cheers rob
Why does fusion produce more energy than fission?
all nighter for me:smile: just had 4 hours sleep:smile:
who is with me?
Reply 775
When they ask us to define the Farad or Weber, can you just quote the equation with units? Or do you actually have to learn the definition?
Original post by CoffeeStinks

fusion reaction binds to nuclei with a small binding energy per nucleon into a nuclei with a very higher binding energy per nucleon.

in a fission reaction the binding energy per nucleon does increase, but not by a lot
Reply 777
Original post by CoffeeStinks

the difference between the binding energy per nucleon is greater in fusion
Am I the only one doing all nighter!
Reply 779
Original post by TobeTheHero

Original post by TobeTheHero
Am I the only one doing all nighter!

That's ridiculous, how will you stay awake in the exam?

Unless you're so good you can literally 'do it in your sleep'.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending