The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by BeccaCath94
I dont know if you have any tips, but im finding it hard to choose a maths course because unlike say german where it says: culture, language, literature etc... I dont know what some of the maths modules are so I dont know if i'll like them...?
Any ideas??

I'm trying to choose places with lots of different 3rd/4th year modules, so that when I know what I'm interested in I'll be able to do it. :smile:
I dont know if you have any tips, but im finding it hard to choose a maths course because unlike say german where it says: culture, language, literature etc... I dont know what some of the maths modules are so I dont know if i'll like them...?
Any ideas??

Well you can look at first year syllabi if you like but the general layout will be something like this:

Top level unis (Oxbridge, Imperial, Warwick, Bath, Bristol etc.): analysis, calculus, linear algebra, maybe some other applied stuff like differential equations or stats.

Mid-level unis: some of the above and some stuff from further maths

Low-level unis: further maths.

After first year you will most likely get some choice and you will generally go down the "pure" or the "applied" route. This is not the same as A-level "pure" and "applied" - in fact A-level is almost all applied. Pure at uni level is analysis and linear algebra (and some other crazy things).

You shouldn't base your university decision on syllabus though, as you won't be able to tell what you like and don't like based on A-level maths.
Original post by Hedgeman49
Well you can look at first year syllabi if you like but the general layout will be something like this:

Top level unis (Oxbridge, Imperial, Warwick, Bath, Bristol etc.): analysis, calculus, linear algebra, maybe some other applied stuff like differential equations or stats.

Mid-level unis: some of the above and some stuff from further maths

Low-level unis: further maths.

After first year you will most likely get some choice and you will generally go down the "pure" or the "applied" route. This is not the same as A-level "pure" and "applied" - in fact A-level is almost all applied. Pure at uni level is analysis and linear algebra (and some other crazy things).

You shouldn't base your university decision on syllabus though, as you won't be able to tell what you like and don't like based on A-level maths.

Original post by anyone_can_fly
I'm trying to choose places with lots of different 3rd/4th year modules, so that when I know what I'm interested in I'll be able to do it. :smile:

Original post by dnumberwang
You don't have choose when you're applying do you? Isn't it only after you actually start the course

Yeah i get what you all mean!!! Some of them just have different sorts of courses and its hard to differentiare them.... (maths pun! :P) ooh yeah thats a good idea, the more options the better :smile:

With maths do you just have exams or for some options can you do some other assessment method and no exam?
Reply 623
i cant believe someone said the mat is harder than step....no it aint!

MAT asks questions which are a bit twisted.....so does STEP! MAT isnt easy....as apparentli on average those tht do it get about half right. STEP requires more knowledge...even some may argue STEP 1 alone is harder than the MAT

i will be doing both next year...
Original post by Rahul.S
i cant believe someone said the mat is harder than step....no it aint!

MAT asks questions which are a bit twisted.....so does STEP! MAT isnt easy....as apparentli on average those tht do it get about half right. STEP requires more knowledge...even some may argue STEP 1 alone is harder than the MAT

i will be doing both next year...

So you're applying to Oxford and Warwick? Thought you'd be going for Cambridge, a ":colone:" such as yourself :tongue:
Reply 625
Original post by Xero Xenith
So you're applying to Oxford and Warwick? Thought you'd be going for Cambridge, a ":colone:" such as yourself :tongue:

oxford is better for maths than cambridge....there is a minute differance....and secondly....i feel it will be easier for me to go to oxford.....also the signs around me and advice given suggest....oxford is for me (not oxford brookes fffs :colone:)

u?
I havent done and arent planning on doing STEP or MAT....does it matter/hinder my chances? To be honest the only place ive heard about them is on here!! What are they exactly?
Original post by Noble.
Of course, they both test very different things. STEP requires a thorough understanding of A-Level Maths/Further, it's why spending 6 months 'revising' for STEP makes the exam considerably easier. I get the impression someone who isn't naturally talented at maths would find the MAT impossible (it definitely seemed to be like this at my old college, people who have to work a lot on maths struggle more with the MAT). I'm fairly sure the girl who didn't get interviewed the year before me (at Oxford) got something like S,1 in STEP for Warwick, but apparently she spent all of A2 revising for it (as she spent her summer holiday between AS and A2 working on A2 modules and the MAT).

I agree with this ; step is harder to a different type of mathematician i guess. How do you recommend revising for the MAT and what was your score if you don't mind me asking. Any ways you revised would be really helpful thanks. Also, im undecided whether to choose oxford/cambridge, i seriously think that they are equally good but i am scared of STEP (im being honest), yet thought the MAT would be easier (evidently not!). Thanks very much
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Rahul.S
oxford is better for maths than cambridge....there is a minute differance....and secondly....i feel it will be easier for me to go to oxford.....also the signs around me and advice given suggest....oxford is for me (not oxford brookes fffs :colone:)

u?

You heard Oxford is better for Maths? Strange - I heard the opposite. Seems there's a consensus that Cambridge Part III (Master's) is world-class, though, and I think I like the place a little more - so Cambridge seems like my poison :tongue:

I havent done and arent planning on doing STEP or MAT....does it matter/hinder my chances? To be honest the only place ive heard about them is on here!! What are they exactly?

They're entrance exams that only really matter if you're applying to Cambridge, Oxford or Warwick. Other universities might like them a bit, but it's really important for those three. They're very, very hard maths exams. :smile:
With maths do you just have exams or for some options can you do some other assessment method and no exam?

I can't speak for all maths courses but at Bath the vast majority are assessed by exam. Only final year projects (dissertations) have no exam element.

Some modules like stats in 1st and 2nd year and programming in 1st year have a coursework element. For stats it was 25% of the module and for programming it was 50%. Most modules are 100% exam though.
Reply 630
Original post by Rahul.S

u?

Really? Most of the really good mathematicians I know (i.e. international maths Olympiad participants/squad members) would not even consider oxford; with regard to consistently producing famous/successful alumni in maths/physical sciences, Cambridge has a much better history/ record (e.g. Hardy, Dirac, Littlewood, etc...). I feel that a very good mathematicians (who knows they are competent enough to get in to either...) has a better chance of getting into to Cambridge, as obtaining an offer is statistically easier. Some Oxford applicants apply not because of their preferences of one uni over another, but because of the reluctance to do STEP.

With regard to MAT/step/admission tests, I think Cambridge’s admission exams are more "intense". You may have time to prepare for step, but some colleges (e.g. trinity, churchill I think?) also have their own MAT style test before your interview, as well as the step-offer. This test alone for me seems harder than the MAT, and you are sitting them roughly around the same time.

That said, I may apply to oxford, because of personal reasons and as their people seemed nicer in the visit (e.g. Cam seems quite cramped, I was screamed at by a builder, and one of the guide students was run over quite badly by a speeding bike...:biggrin:).
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 631
Original post by Rahul.S

u?

Haha, there is literaly no way oxford is better for maths than cambridge. Dont get me wrong, oxford is amazing too, but there is nothing like maths at cambridge :smile:
Reply 632
Original post by twig
Really? Most of the really good mathematicians I know (i.e. international maths Olympiad participants/squad members) would not even consider oxford; with regard to consistently producing famous/successful alumni in maths/physical sciences, Cambridge has a much better history/ record (e.g. Hardy, Dirac, Littlewood, etc...). I feel that a very good mathematicians (who knows they are competent enough to get in to either...) has a better chance of getting into to Cambridge, as obtaining an offer is statistically easier. Some Oxford applicants apply not because of their preferences of one uni over another, but because of the reluctance to do STEP.

With regard to MAT/step/admission tests, I think Cambridge’s admission exams are more "intense". You may have time to prepare for step, but some colleges (e.g. trinity, churchill I think?) also have their own MAT style test before your interview, as well as the step-offer. This test alone for me seems harder than the MAT, and you are sitting them roughly around the same time.

That said, I may apply to oxford, because of personal reasons and as their people seemed nicer in the visit (e.g. Cam seems quite cramped, I was screamed at by a builder, and one of the guide students was run over quite badly by a speeding bike...:biggrin:).

looooooooool at the last part.....well ive been to cambridge...gone to maths lectures for a week....even the professeurs say there oxford and cambridge are pretty much the same....they wont admit oxford is better.....they said cambridge is mainly prestigous in maths due to its history....all the names u mention seem quite some time....we live now....and judging from wt ive seen...both uni's are top notch....but im terms of course, flexibility, style of teaching etc. oxford (no brookes) seems better
Reply 633

How the hell does going to lectures, either so dumbed down that an a-level student could understand, or of such a standard you wouldn't be able to understand, possibly have any indication on the 'quality' of a university?

From what I've gathered over time, Oxford and Cambridge are around about the same level at undergraduate, but it's part III where Cam takes a definite lead.
Reply 634
Original post by Zuzuzu
How the hell does going to lectures, either so dumbed down that an a-level student could understand, or of such a standard you wouldn't be able to understand, possibly have any indication on the 'quality' of a university?

From what I've gathered over time, Oxford and Cambridge are around about the same level at undergraduate, but it's part III where Cam takes a definite lead.

Exactly. As I said before, oxford is amazing too, but cambridge goes have the edge. I was in the open day at cambridge, and one of the proffesors said himself - they are just much better haha. I have been in open days, been to masterclasses and I prefer cambridge, therefore it is much better for me. I love STEP too, so it just adds to the appreciation of cambridge maths rather than oxford
Original post by twig

Saturday lectures tbh

Original post by Zuzuzu

Part III is fourth year right? I only plan on studying for 3 years regardless of which uni I go to
Original post by Hedgeman49
I can't speak for all maths courses but at Bath the vast majority are assessed by exam. Only final year projects (dissertations) have no exam element.

Some modules like stats in 1st and 2nd year and programming in 1st year have a coursework element. For stats it was 25% of the module and for programming it was 50%. Most modules are 100% exam though.

Oh i see...thanks for this :smile:
Saturday lectures tbh

I heard about this at the King's College Cambridge open day. So they make you attend lectures 6 days a week - sounds daunting, but does anyone have any anecdotes on how that goes? It's a major worry for me in applying there :frown:
Reply 638
Part III is fourth year right? I only plan on studying for 3 years regardless of which uni I go to

Yeah it is.
Has anybody read: "The Lady Tasting Tea: How Statistics Revolutionized Science in the Twentieth Century", by David Salsburg??

Latest