The Student Room Group

June 2011 G485-Fields, Particles and Frontiers of Physics

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1020
Mark scheme any one? And maybe the places that ha extra time should tell OCR that they did and be marked down?

I used 5x10^-4 m as the distance and got 1x18 instead of 1x16.

Also what was the other mistake? :biggrin:
Original post by Kalamari Dave
Yeah, there was another one. Where it said calulate the acceleration to be about 1x10^16 which came out to 1.2x10^16,
(then work out the time as 1x10^-9)
and then the next one where it says (use this to) now calculate the velocity to be 1.2x10^7 ms^-1
You cannot get the correct speed unless you get the acceleration correct.

Usually when they give you values, its to help candidates who don't calculate it, but it'll still allow them a chance to do the second part.
This one didn't.

(I found this out because first time run through i didn't work out the accn, used the value given, and didn't get the speed it wanted)

Ah right, that's alright then. I got the acceleration but still didn't get the correct speed. :s-smilie: So much for the equations of motion!
Reply 1022
What happens if theres mistakes in exams? do they change anything?
Alright paper - too much writing and not enough calculation though. No quarks, radioactivity, binding energy calculations at all WTF

For the angle - pretty sure it is 73degrees - tan = F/mg
Maybe some of you got the force wrong on the previous question

The one im worrying about is the ratio question. I put 1/3 initially and then changed it to 1/27 when i realised they have different voltages. Then changed my answer to the worded one after that about 5 times >.>

Also, the electric field strength question between the two balls was tricky. I worked them out seperately and minused them. (they are acting in opposite directions)
Reply 1024
What was our KE graph like?!?!?
At least your centers gave you formula books, we got ocr maths ones and had to wait 1/2 hour for physics ones then the mistake and no extra time wtf!!
Hey I don't like reading all the way through these threads because you inevitably feel bad when you get stuff wrong. Anyway is the general consensus that it was a hard, normal or easy paper?
BTW when it says about, you use your answer not theirs. Now I got an acceleration of 1.2*10^16. When using this along with my time to work out the velocity (and show that it was 1.2*10^7) it worked fine. :smile:
This exam was piss **** easy omg
Pissed off about this timing ****, 10 minutes is basically an extra TEN PERCENT of time to check/answer above everybody else. This is ridiculous.
Original post by susan23
What happens if theres mistakes in exams? do they change anything?

If it's a really bad mistake they usually just give everybody the marks. Not sure about this one, seeing as some people spotted it and some didn't. I guess they'll just mark it if the candidate used 0.05cm as correct and if they used 0.05m as correct too?
Original post by Ben Adams
Alright paper - too much writing and not enough calculation though. No quarks, radioactivity, binding energy calculations at all WTF

The one im worrying about is the ratio question. I put 1/3 initially and then changed it to 1/27 when i realised they have different voltages. Then changed my answer to the worded one after that about 5 times >.>

Also, the electric field strength question between the two balls was tricky. I worked them out seperately and minused them. (they are acting in opposite directions)

Exactly what I did with the e-field.
Original post by Ben Adams

I did tan^-1(1.5x10^-4/4.5x10^-4) and got like 18 degrees.
Original post by Oh my Ms. Coffey
I did tan^-1(1.5x10^-4/4.5x10^-4) and got like 18 degrees.

I GOT 18 degrees too **** YEH lol
When my exam officer wrang OCR, they said that you could either use 0.05 metres or centimetres and you would still be awarded the marks.
oh OCR, you so crazy with your impossible questions!
Original post by susan23
What was our KE graph like?!?!?

I completely had to take a guess (well educated guess). I drew a straight, increasing line up to 0.08m - each 0.04m increasing by by whatever my answer to the Ek question was). Then a similar, but decreasing line for Ek between 0.08m and 0.12m.
Original post by pedro1804
oh OCR, you so crazy with your impossible questions!

what exactly was impossible about this paper ¬.¬ its the simplest one theyve created since the newest spec
Original post by apo1324
When my exam officer wrang OCR, they said that you could either use 0.05 metres or centimetres and you would still be awarded the marks.

I think the point being made is that it was a show question - meaning you knew you had the wrong answer if you used cm - leading you to doing excessive working and stressing out :P .
Reply 1039
Original post by ViralRiver
I completely had to take a guess (well educated guess). I drew a straight, increasing line up to 0.08m - each 0.04m increasing by by whatever my answer to the Ek question was). Then a similar, but decreasing line for Ek between 0.08m and 0.12m.

lol did you..I just did a straight line constant gradient from the origin...had a ****ing guess lol

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending