The Student Room Group

WJEC PY4 21st June 2011 exam

Scroll to see replies

Reply 120
Original post by kobebear
hey, any chance you could help me with ethical costs/ scientific benefits ? controversies?

Heyyy I took the exam last year and got a B so could help you out :smile:

I would start with an introduction, say something like various research has been carried out within psychology that has broken ethical guidelines, then say something like are these ethical issues worthwhile.

Then I would look at different studies that have broken ethical guidelines....e.g. Milgram, talk about the aims of the study etc, then talk about the ethical issues within the study.

After that, talk about what we have gained from the study, e.g. We have learnt that when under pressure and under authority we are likely to follow orders, this can help the police and the education system, for example discipline.

Then I would talk about maybe three other psychological studies that have taken place and do pretty much the same as above :smile:

xx
Reply 121
Anyone reckon disorders in memory i.e. amnesia or gender bias will come up? I've revised EVERYTHING but these two and im just hoping they really dont come up otherwise im screwed!
Original post by mel0n
I could help you with the rest but the ethical costs/ scientific benefits is one that we were told not to revise :colondollar:

Just out of interest (I saw on another thread you got an A* in psychology - congrats!) how much did you write on average for each question in PY4? I've been told 2-3 sides in normal sized handwriting is plenty but I just wanted to make sure :smile:
Original post by Lozzah8
Off topic here, but I see in your sig B5 Is 2 hr 38? Am I missing something as i thought it was 2 hr 15!

Its actually 1 hour 45 mins but I get 50% extra time for all my exams :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 124
Original post by TomJ123
Anyone reckon disorders in memory i.e. amnesia or gender bias will come up? I've revised EVERYTHING but these two and im just hoping they really dont come up otherwise im screwed!

i really want gender bias to come up :/ its the only controversy ive learned :frown:.. and it hasnt come up for a while x
Reply 125
This is exam is ridiculous
Reply 126
Original post by SpicyStrawberry
Just out of interest (I saw on another thread you got an A* in psychology - congrats!) how much did you write on average for each question in PY4? I've been told 2-3 sides in normal sized handwriting is plenty but I just wanted to make sure :smile:

My teacher has taught us to write 800 words for each essay.
450 words AO2 (evaluation) - 15 marks
350 words AO1 (theory) - 10 marks
=]
So long as theories doesn't come up in crime, I really don't mind what's in the paper. Doing relationships, crime and abnormalities. :smile:
Reply 128
I've failed this exam
Good luck everyone!! :smile:
o my goodness! there is sooo much to learn! i really hope cognitive and treatments and punishments doesnt come up. We got told the most likely to come up is gender bias and psychology as a science? is this correct? this is like the worst exam ever!!!
Reply 131
I thought I had revised a lot, but I just read over my notes of memory and seemed like all new information too me.

I hope desribe and evaluate multistore model of memory comes up, thats like the only thing I know, ive totally ignored one question on issues of bias in diagnosing schzisophrenia, so if that comes I reckon I'll just burst into tears then kill myself.
Reply 132

My writing was extra huge, so I ended up with about 5-6 sides per essay but when I wrote it out in normal writing to revise they were all between 2 and a half to 3 and a half, mostly between 3 and 4 I think!
Original post by sarahluvqueenie
o my goodness! there is sooo much to learn! i really hope cognitive and treatments and punishments doesnt come up. We got told the most likely to come up is gender bias and psychology as a science? is this correct? this is like the worst exam ever!!!

Gah! Hope gender bias doesn't come up, our teacher told us it's the 2nd most unlikely (after culture bias) but when I look at the past paper questions I don't know why... I like the Psychology as a science question though :smile:
Reply 134
aww :frown: grr the stupid exam... do you know if you dont answer one of the questions is it like an automatic d?? :C??
Original post by kitcat17
aww :frown: grr the stupid exam... do you know if you dont answer one of the questions is it like an automatic d?? :C??

If you missed out a whole 25 mark question the highest grade for that exam would be a B *I think* because you did 75% of the paper providing you got full marks/near full marks on all the other questions. The grade boundaries for this exam are quite low so you don't need too much to get a decent grade.

Don't worry yourself I'm sure you did fine, you probably got a C/B :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 136
bit annoyed at the questions, I wasnt very prepared for them.

I have no idea how I did, I spent too long on on Genda Bias and EWT so had to really rush forgetting and causes of depression, I was so rushed for depression that I had to just bullet point...plus I hardly evaluated anything, arghhhh. I will be shocked tbh if I get more than a D, Since I missed off all the AO2 marks nearly :frown:

Im just thankful none of the ones which I had litterally no clue on came up!

How did everyone find it? :smile:
Original post by Ali.R
bit annoyed at the questions, I wasnt very prepared for them.

I have no idea how I did, I spent too long on on Genda Bias and EWT so had to really rush forgetting and causes of depression, I was so rushed for depression that I had to just bullet point...plus I hardly evaluated anything, arghhhh. I will be shocked tbh if I get more than a D, Since I missed off all the AO2 marks nearly :frown:

Im just thankful none of the ones which I had litterally no clue on came up!

How did everyone find it? :smile:

Aw don't worry about it I'm sure you did fine and you are over-thinking it :smile: I managed to write a decent amount about EWT and remembered the evidence for that but on the memory question I forgot nearly all the studies I just remembered the facts so kept saying "A study showed" "Another study showed" so I probs dropped marks for not being detailed enough :s-smilie:

All in all though it could have been a lot worse!
Reply 138
Aw don't worry about it I'm sure you did fine and you are over-thinking it :smile: I managed to write a decent amount about EWT and remembered the evidence for that but on the memory question I forgot nearly all the studies I just remembered the facts so kept saying "A study showed" "Another study showed" so I probs dropped marks for not being detailed enough :s-smilie:

All in all though it could have been a lot worse!

Yeah the only names I could remember were names of memory studies so was pretty gutted when a question on models of memory didnt come up ,and could remember people from last year like frued and Loftus and Palmer etc. my teacher said its only really in the high high marks all the names are mentioned, and Im not too bothered about high marks, just want enough to get into my course at Uni, I dont think they drop marks off for not knowing names though, I think they may just add extra marks on for remembering them, rather than deducting.

I made up a study aswell, I remember reading on here something called "weapon effect" which we never learned about, so made up a study on that and gave it my own meaning. I hope they dont realise its not real haha. Anyone know what that actually is? My guess was that EWT get distracted by the weapon, and watch that rather than the actions of the person.

Which Controversies did you choose? I chose Gender Bias, but not sure if that was a good idea as everyone else picked the other one, and thinking about it there was probably more I could of wrote on that one :s-smilie:

Im trying not to think about it too much, but Im just totally confussed on how I did because I wrote a lot but think it might just have been all irrelevent crap.:confused:

I just hope everyone did really bad so they lower the average!
Original post by Ali.R
Yeah the only names I could remember were names of memory studies so was pretty gutted when a question on models of memory didnt come up ,and could remember people from last year like frued and Loftus and Palmer etc. my teacher said its only really in the high high marks all the names are mentioned, and Im not too bothered about high marks, just want enough to get into my course at Uni, I dont think they drop marks off for not knowing names though, I think they may just add extra marks on for remembering them, rather than deducting.

I made up a study aswell, I remember reading on here something called "weapon effect" which we never learned about, so made up a study on that and gave it my own meaning. I hope they dont realise its not real haha. Anyone know what that actually is? My guess was that EWT get distracted by the weapon, and watch that rather than the actions of the person.

Which Controversies did you choose? I chose Gender Bias, but not sure if that was a good idea as everyone else picked the other one, and thinking about it there was probably more I could of wrote on that one :s-smilie:

Im trying not to think about it too much, but Im just totally confussed on how I did because I wrote a lot but think it might just have been all irrelevent crap.:confused:

I just hope everyone did really bad so they lower the average!

That's pretty much exactly what the weapon effect is :tongue: Great guess haha. I chose gender bias as well because I found ethics really boring because we went through it all in PY3, I found gender a bit easier to talk about for some reason :s-smilie:

I overheard people after leaving the exam hall saying they missed out whole questions because they didn't revise properly so hopefully the grade boundaries will be fairly low if people have struggled. It really is too much to remember though, but I think today's questions were quite lucky really. Certainly don't want to relive that exam anyhow :tongue: It's difficult to tell how well you've done but fingers crossed everyone on here will get the grades they deserve =]

Quick Reply

Latest