The Student Room Group

June 2011 G485-Fields, Particles and Frontiers of Physics

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1100
Original post by jthmpsn
Working out the density of the nuclues did any one times by the number of nucleons

It gave the radius so I used 4/3pi(r)^3 for volume and I thought it gave mass of the nucleus so just p=m/v? What did you put for the assumption, I said nucleus was a sphere.
Reply 1101
Original post by jthmpsn
A was sure it said the mass of a nucleon

Someone tell me they gave the nucleus mass please
How come some people got extra time?!?!?!?!?!

I was writing right up untill the end and did notice the mistake we got no extra time at our school
Reply 1103
Original post by Pheylan

for what Qs?
Original post by Franklin
You had to divide...it asked for nucleus of a nucleon...and you worked out the density of the whole nucleus

I used V=4/3 pie(r)^3

then used density=mass/volume they gave us the mass
Reply 1105
Original post by TobeTheHero
I used V=4/3 pie(r)^3

then used density=mass/volume they gave us the mass

for the mass you had to multiply is by the nucleon number yeah :smile:
Original post by teachercol
Q5 The force on the rod is downwards
The force on the magnets is upwards so you subtract 0.016 from 2.4N
When dia is halved R is 4X so current is 1/4 and F is 1/4

Q6 Routine Rutherford. Nice and easy Q about forces. Easy calc. Assume spherical.

Q7. Easy crit density Q.

Q8 Easy PET Q - just book work
Q9 easy book ultrasound Q

Q10 Easy fission Q . Can use Water, heavy water or graphite as moderator.
Used to convert KE of neutrons to heat .

You got the same answers as me and your a teacher, so happy!
Original post by Pheylan
What was the potential difference across the 150 uF capacitor? (I got 1.5V)

Nh it was 4.5V, you can do it with potential dividor way if you think about it logically too Q=VC, so the smaller the capacitance the larger the voltage.
Original post by Pheylan

The average mass of a nucleon is 1.7*10^-27 kg. :L
Reply 1109
Wow this went really badly
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-13857911

Extra time??? Either all centres should have been notified... of no extra time! Maybe I just feel a bit bitter - didn't do as well as I expected...

Anyone got the paper and can upload it by any chance? :puppyeyes:
Original post by toxp
It gave the radius so I used 4/3pi(r)^3 for volume and I thought it gave mass of the nucleus so just p=m/v? What did you put for the assumption, I said nucleus was a sphere.

exactly this
Reply 1112
Im sure you had to work out the denisty of a nucleon...and they gave you nucleus mass and raidus so you worked out the density of the nucleus and divided that by the nucleon number to give nucleon density...
I never have to look at a capacitor ever again in my ****ing life **** yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!
OCR is becoming really distressful I hope G484 is free of error
Original post by Pheylan

I thought they gave average mass of nucleon so you'd need mass as 235xaverage mass/volume.
Original post by yokabasha
Nh it was 4.5V, you can do it with potential dividor way if you think about it logically too Q=VC, so the smaller the capacitance the larger the voltage.

****! i was just staring at that question for like 2 min! and it was only worth one mark and in the end i got it wrong:mad: how many marks will i lose if i use the 3V value to calculate the capacitance ? and was the total capacitance 1/c=1/c1 +1/c2?
Reply 1117
Original post by Oh my Ms. Coffey
I thought they gave average mass of nucleon so you'd need mass as 235xaverage mass/volume.

Yeah

Original post by Pheylan
Wow this went really badly

:frown:
Reply 1118
Original post by Oh my Ms. Coffey

Im sure you had to work out the denisty of a nucleon...and they gave you nucleus mass and raidus so you worked out the density of the nucleus and divided that by the nucleon number to give nucleon density...
Im not really annoyed at the error, I spotted it and since it was a show that question it didn't have too much effect.

Im really annoyed that pupils were given extra time. Surely its the exam boards decision whether pupils got extra time? My centre didn't get extra time. People may have been disadvantaged here and done it fairly, and others may have been disadvantaged, but then advantaged by extra time.

I honestly think something needs to be investigated here as extra time is just as inexcusable as the error in my opinion.

P.S Extra time wouldn't have affected my performance, its just the principle I'm annoyed at.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending