The Student Room Group

June 2011 G485-Fields, Particles and Frontiers of Physics

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Beth1234
Anyone got the paper and can upload it by any chance? :puppyeyes:

Same request here.
Original post by Oh my Ms. Coffey
From revision guide

'U235 fuel rods need to be place in a moderator for example water to slow down/absorb neutrons.'

Carbon is definitely right, it's in the official OCR book.
Original post by Franklin
Im sure you had to work out the denisty of a nucleon...and they gave you nucleus mass and raidus so you worked out the density of the nucleus and divided that by the nucleon number to give nucleon density...

They gave you nucleus radius and nucleon average mass, then asked for the density of the nucleus.
Original post by Pheylan
Wow this went really badly

Haha same here - and I thought it had gone so well!
Original post by apo1324
Those are correct. I see what you mean as even though I worked it out, I used their value and got it wrong at first. Then I subbbed in 1.2*10^16 and it gave me the correct answer. :smile:

Awesome :smile:
Mate, can you upload the paper please?
Pretty pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeease? :redface:
Reply 1125
Reckon I lost about 15 marks overall just from looking at all of these questions you've all posted here. That's not too bad, hopefully I don't lose 15 more from the descriptive questions.

Which direction did you guys P as?
Original post by yokabasha
Carbon is definitely right, it's in the official OCR book.

They only asked for an example - indicating there is more than one possible answer. Water is equally as right.
Original post by Raimu
Reckon I lost about 15 marks overall just from looking at all of these questions you've all posted here. That's not too bad, hopefully I don't lose 15 more from the descriptive questions.

Which direction did you guys P as?

Straight down.
Original post by Kalamari Dave
Awesome :smile:
Mate, can you upload the paper please?
Pretty pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeease? :redface:

Scanning as we speak. :smile:
Original post by ViralRiver
I completely had to take a guess (well educated guess). I drew a straight, increasing line up to 0.08m - each 0.04m increasing by by whatever my answer to the Ek question was). Then a similar, but decreasing line for Ek between 0.08m and 0.12m.

I drew an exponential curve cause K.E= 0.5mv^2, v increases with distance, then from 0.08 onwards, it is a straight line, since nothing is changing.
(edited 12 years ago)
I don't see why they would give the average mass of a nucleon whenever the data book gives you the mass of a proton and the mass of a neutron. If they're giving you anything, it should be the mass of the nucleus.

But this is OCR I guess.
Reply 1131
Ok guys, I really don't want a post -mortem on this exam plus I dont see the point since it will only be dperessing and you'll get pissed at the wrong ones since you can't change it. so I'm heading of. I'm sure we all did well (really) good luck with everything else! x
Reply 1132

97 UMS should be how many raw marks on this paper
anyone has any idea?
Just been watching BBC News, and the OCR Physics error was briefly mentioned. As well as the Latin and GCSE Maths
Original post by Captain Hob
I don't see why they would give the average mass of a nucleon whenever the data book gives you the mass of a proton and the mass of a neutron. If they're giving you anything, it should be the mass of the nucleus.

But this is OCR I guess.

Saves you having to do x proton number masses + y neutron number masses.
Original post by Captain Hob

But this is OCR I guess.

OCR - who seem to be messing up every exam they set this year! Ah well. Sounds like loads of people made the same mistake. Hopefully it'll push the grade boundaries down a little.
Original post by yu80359
97 UMS should be how many raw marks on this paper
anyone has any idea?

I'd say this paper was slightly harder then the last 2.
Reply 1137
what do you, guys think about this paper?
Does anyone have a copy of the physics exam paper?
Original post by Oh my Ms. Coffey
I'd say this paper was slightly harder then the last 2.

Descriptive questions were pretty easy though

Quick Reply

Latest