The Student Room Group

OCR Physics B G495 Field and Particle Pictures June 21st 2011 Exam Thread

Scroll to see replies

Any else get 1.8x10^-4 Wb for the flux value?
Original post by Swindan
Now I'm questioning my answer to the previous question too :tongue: I ended up with something like 2.95^-11

I found the average binding energy of the two fragment nuclei.
Added this to the binding energy of uranium. And multiplied it by the number of nuclei and obviously 1.6x10^-19x1x10^6
Reply 722
Original post by Swindan
Now I'm questioning my answer to the previous question too :tongue: I ended up with something like 2.95^-11

me too! pretty sure its right..
Original post by Revolution is my Name
Grade boundaries people! Similar to last June? (75 for A, 67 for B, 83 for 90)

I recon it will be <=70
Reply 724
Original post by Summerdays
I blagged it as well :biggrin:
I really didn't understand the question :redface:

Let's just pray for not-so-harsh grade boundaries now xD

Also, how did everyone fare on the very last Q where it asked us to *describe* how you would measure some lengths using method 2? :smile: Here's what I put:

- Time how long it takes with said standardized beam to travel the distance you want to measure (using the caesium standard)

- Since T = 1/f, you can find the frequency of said beam that way

- lambda = c/f so use it to find the wavelength of the beam...

- Multiply the wavelength by the time in seconds that you logged in earlier = distance measured? :tongue:
Reply 725
im going to get off this thread now, i cant remember most of my answers! hope you all get what you need, good luck for results :smile:
Reply 726
I found the average binding energy of the two fragment nuclei.
Added this to the binding energy of uranium. And multiplied it by the number of nuclei and obviously 1.6x10^-19x1x10^6

don't think u need to find an average for binding energy... as long as you multiply the binding energy per nucleon by the number of nucleons then this will work out the correct ratios etc for you
Original post by arianex
Let's just pray for not-so-harsh grade boundaries now xD

Also, how did everyone fare on the very last Q where it asked us to *describe* how you would measure some lengths using method 2? :smile: Here's what I put:

- Time how long it takes with said standardized beam to travel the distance you want to measure (using the caesium standard)

- Since T = 1/f, you can find the frequency of said beam that way

- lambda = c/f so use it to find the wavelength of the beam...

- Multiply the wavelength by the time in seconds that you logged in earlier = distance measured? :tongue:

I said something about finding the frequency by finding the number of wavelengths when the mirror moves a distance, d.
C is the EXACT value, in a vacuum.
The frequency of light IS the definition of one second.

I blagged it :s-smilie:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 728
Original post by Swindan

i had that
Original post by kttt101
don't think u need to find an average for binding energy... as long as you multiply the binding energy per nucleon by the number of nucleons then this will work out the correct ratios etc for you

I wasn't really sure how to do it. I used the CPG way of doing it: look at the right hand side of page 55.
Reply 730
Original post by ejw93
i had that

ditto :d:d
Reply 731
I said something about finding the frequency by finding the number of nuclei when the mirror moves a distance, d.
C is the EXACT value, in a vacuum.
The frequency of light IS the definition of one second.

I blagged it :s-smilie:

Number of nuclei? XD
For the phasors question, I guessed that decreasing the air density would cause the speed of light to increase, hence introducing a lag in OX (or whichever one it was) This would cause that phasor to rotate. Hence you get the detector changing from light to dark, at a fequency which I claimed would be proportional to the rate of decrease of density of air.
Original post by arianex
Number of nuclei? XD

I mean wavelengths. HAHA
Reply 734
I wasn't really sure how to do it. I used the CPG way of doing it: look at the right hand side of page 55.

The purple book? page 55 is Millikan's oil drop experiment?

Multiple the number of nucleons for each element by the binding energy per nucleon will give you the whole binding energy of the nucleus.. the difference in the total binding energy of the U235 and the sum of the binding energies of the other two nuclei is the energy released

thats how i did it anyway, if u got near enough 3 x whatever then either of us could be right lol
Original post by kttt101
The purple book? page 55 is Millikan's oil drop experiment?

Multiple the number of nucleons for each element by the binding energy per nucleon will give you the whole binding energy of the nucleus.. the difference in the total binding energy of the U235 and the sum of the binding energies of the other two nuclei is the energy released

thats how i did it anyway, if u got near enough 3 x whatever then either of us could be right lol

No, not the purple book - the one catered to A2 Physics (not jut OCR B.) There should be more than one method of doing it though, I think :smile:
Reply 736
No, not the purple book - the one catered to A2 Physics (not jut OCR B.) There should be more than one method of doing it though, I think :smile:

ah i see.. i dont have that lol :P

yeah yeah for sure :smile:
Original post by kttt101
ah i see.. i dont have that lol :P

yeah yeah for sure :smile:

How did you find it overall? For the calculate emf, did you do flux/given time, and said something about the gradiant constantly chaing?
Reply 738
did anyone put that the difference in speed of the two wavelengths due to the refraction would cause the superposition effect to break down?

i totally guessed that
Reply 739
How did you find it overall? For the calculate emf, did you do flux/given time, and said something about the gradiant constantly chaing?

it wasnt as bad as i thought it would be actually

yeah exactly that.. but i ended up dividing the emf by two... took a risk! if it turns out wrong it will only be a mark

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending