The Student Room Group

OCR Physics B G495 Field and Particle Pictures June 21st 2011 Exam Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 760
Original post by vit1008
did anyone else get like 4.96 kg for the mass of uranium used??

I got this but the general consensus is that it isn't the right answer :tongue:
Reply 761
Original post by vit1008
did anyone else get like 4.96 kg for the mass of uranium used??

Think I got 1700-ish kg...Does anyone actually know what the proper answer was for that one?
When are the actual answers going to be posted online?!?
Reply 763
Original post by Harry-AA
I got this but the general consensus is that it isn't the right answer :tongue:

I got the same, fairly certain its right.
Reply 764
The answer to the X-Ray Q was 400 and something people.
If everyone is saying they found it easier than other past papers grade boundaries will be higher not lower than previous G495 papers.
Reply 766
Original post by war833

It wasn't it was 4.25 because I got 425 but used 3 instead of 0.03 for 3%
Reply 767
Original post by Geekchic17
I used the normal equation, i thought it would be average because the normal flux linkage/time graph is a curve, but we calculated the straight line gradient between the points and 0... so i guessed that our equation didn't take into account this curve?

but the normal equation assumes that the ring is cutting through the maximum amount of flux over the entire time period - it gives a peak emf not an average one
Reply 768
Original post by Harry.C
I got the same, fairly certain its right.

But so many people got around 1000kg... but that is hella' lot of uranium
Reply 769
Original post by kttt101
but the normal equation assumes that the ring is cutting through the maximum amount of flux over the entire time period - it gives a peak emf not an average one

the rate of change of flux was the change in flux (all of it cos it drops to 0) divided by the change in time (which was given). Was it not just this? There was no peak because it was a constant flux and not alternating?
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by kttt101

That's only if you find the 1/4 period and used that as your dt. If not, then that's not the case, I think.
the rate of change of flux was the change in flux (all of it cos it drops to 0) divided by the change in time (which was given). Was it not just this? There was no peak because it was a constant emf and not alternating?

The emf was changing because it rotated 1/4 of the way.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 772
the rate of change of flux was the change in flux (all of it cos it drops to 0) divided by the change in time (which was given). Was it not just this? There was no peak because it was a constant emf and not alternating?

question asked for an ''average emf''

if you think about it rotating - at the end its perpendicular to field lines so cuts more lines at the end of the rotation, so generates more emf
Reply 773
Original post by Kingbradley6
If everyone is saying they found it easier than other past papers grade boundaries will be higher not lower than previous G495 papers.

I dont think they can raise the grade boundaries over 80% for an A, can they...
Reply 774
But so many people got around 1000kg... but that is hella' lot of uranium

think 1000kg per year is pretty close to whats actually used
Reply 775
Original post by war833

435 to be precise.... :smile:
Reply 776
Original post by kttt101
question asked for an ''average emf''

if you think about it rotating - at the end its perpendicular to field lines so cuts more lines at the end of the rotation, so generates more emf

when it's perpendicular there is no flux running through it so the change in flux is just the flux at the start.
Reply 777
Original post by Summerdays
The emf was chaging because it rotated 1/4 of the way.

I meant flux, I always write those two the wrong way round.
I meant flux, I always write those two the wrong way round.

Yeah, but it cuts more flux near the end of it fall :smile:
Reply 779
It wasn't it was 4.25 because I got 425 but used 3 instead of 0.03 for 3%

But it was a percentage of people, so you times'd 3 by 2x10^-5 to get percentage chance, then multiplied it by no. of people to get the likely number of people this will mean get cancer, then time it by 25 :/ I think. ? Might be wrong but I did consider using 0.03...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending