The Student Room Group

OCR - F297: Strategic Management (June 2011)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 160
Original post by mimilini09
was that for the option of off road driving course?? i think i got 280000!

yeah me too, as long as the success and failure values were added together once multiplying the EMV with the probability and then deducting the costs it should be fine..I was confused by them asking about the node 1 though seeing as it was like the decision box, never went over that in class!
Reply 161
What did everyone put for question 2. I dont think I did very well on that one at all
Reply 162
Original post by sloth1
What did everyone put for question 2. I dont think I did very well on that one at all

Was question 2 the economic factors one or the remuneration one?

I just babbled on those two questions tbh, wasn't really sure what to write but i just said that the GDP would change so would affect UK customers, and also the exchange rate would be affected so would affect foreign customers.

Just glad it's over really!
Economic factors.

I put about it depends whether its a rise and fall and both would have different consequences.

I found q3 harder though, I didn't understand what they meant.
Reply 164
Original post by AndSparkles
Economic factors.

I put about it depends whether its a rise and fall and both would have different consequences.

I found q3 harder though, I didn't understand what they meant.

Me too! I didnt know if they meant how he should have done it better, or what he can do now to fix it, it was confusing
****, for question 1a (the decision tree one) i got lke £105,000
Reply 166
The decision tree question totally through me and everyone else!
I came up with 180,000 (god knows how) but apparently my teacher thought you had to pick the one with the highest value :frown:

btw, did anyone understand what the 3rd question about the tips was actually asking for? I just BS'd on how possibly Wilhelm should of done it :/
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by sloth1
Me too! I didnt know if they meant how he should have done it better, or what he can do now to fix it, it was confusing

Original post by A13X
The decision tree question totally through me and everyone else!
I came up with 180,000 (god knows how) but apparently my teacher thought you had to pick the one with the highest value :frown:

btw, did anyone understand what the 3rd question about the tips was actually asking for? I just BS'd on how possibly Wilhelm should of done it :/

EXACTLY!!!
I didn't know if they were asking you to recommend a different strategy, or how he could make the current one better implemented and welcomed by employees?
I spoke to my teacher today.. and apparently the calculation questions was wrong - on part of OCR.. so shes going to complain!?
did anyone else notice they asked us to find the EMV for node 1

..and the emv was already given to us .. so the worded it wrong surely?
Reply 170
Everyone!! Please all send an email of complaint to OCR as I have already saying the paper was irrelevant and poorly structured, not to mention the confusing questions and especially the decision tree?!

Send them to [email protected] - response within 10 days I rang up, the more of us that our heard the more likely action is to be taken!!

Also so much for it being a SYNOPTIC paper, I swear only a fraction of knowledge was required for this paper, didn't efficiently test us fairly no?
Have you got a copy of the complaint you sent? Maybe if we all send the same thing they'll listen? Also more might complain if they're lazyyyy. P:
The paper wasn't unfair. It was just hard. The decision tree calculation being most confusing
Reply 173
Original post by firebus154
The paper wasn't unfair. It was just hard. The decision tree calculation being most confusing

I'm not a genius but I revised solidly for the paper, and the amount of stuff I covered that was completely irrelevant was ridiculous. I didn't think it was hard, I thought the questions were irrelevant and the decision tree to start it off just dropped most of our confidence.
Reply 174
Have you got a copy of the complaint you sent? Maybe if we all send the same thing they'll listen? Also more might complain if they're lazyyyy. P:

My email was really long, but it consisted of the following:

Shocked at how little content from the case study was related to the question paper.

Synoptic paper yet nothing came up from F291/F292 and F295 (or could be related to relevantly)

Didn't sufficiently test our knowledge according to the syllabus (being a synoptic paper and all)

Possible error within the decision tree question as someone has listed here and going through revision sources I still don't really get how an EMV can be calculated at the decision box (node 1), other than the fact it will be the first decision made which is fair enough.

The questions in the exam anyway would have literally taken me an hour or 2 to revise and go over, just annoying how simply structured they were, but at the same time quite confusing to approach due to the vagueness in some.
Original post by firebus154

And the reason it was hard? Because the questions were not telling you exactly what they meant. And yes, the decision tree was confusing, but I believe 3 completely took the biscuit.

Original post by Dishra
My email was really long, but it consisted of the following:

Shocked at how little content from the case study was related to the question paper.

Synoptic paper yet nothing came up from F291/F292 and F295 (or could be related to relevantly)

Didn't sufficiently test our knowledge according to the syllabus (being a synoptic paper and all)

Possible error within the decision tree question as someone has listed here and going through revision sources I still don't really get how an EMV can be calculated at the decision box (node 1), other than the fact it will be the first decision made which is fair enough.

The questions in the exam anyway would have literally taken me an hour or 2 to revise and go over, just annoying how simply structured they were, but at the same time quite confusing to approach due to the vagueness in some.

Tbh, from looking at past questions - there was no structure. It did not tell you exactly what it wanted a response to.
Thank you for the help, I'll be complaining tomorrow after my final exam. :smile:
Reply 176
Tbh, from looking at past questions - there was no structure. It did not tell you exactly what it wanted a response to.
Thank you for the help, I'll be complaining tomorrow after my final exam. :smile:

Exactly, thank you..the thing is, the only people that can make them realise is us, so if WE don't do anything about it then no one will! My final exam tomorrow as well, statistics nice and early, going to be such a relief getting it over with! Best of luck tomorrow, let's hope something is done about this business anyway..my teacher is sending off a complaint tomorrow from the center so hopefully that should help, ask all of your class as well too, as I have done
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 177
I agree that the decision tree was hard and could possibly be wrong, however i do not think the paper was poorly structured...yeah the questions were worded weirdly but i definitely thought it was fair.
Reply 178
Original post by hannahsl
I agree that the decision tree was hard and could possibly be wrong, however i do not think the paper was poorly structured...yeah the questions were worded weirdly but i definitely thought it was fair.

well, in terms of the content available from the case study and syllabus it was quite odd in terms of the questions asked. I don't necessarily think it was unfair though, just phrased in a peculiar way.
Reply 179
Yeah but isn't the case study there as background? I thought every question fitted well with the case study tbh, especially objectives and all that...but yeah questions 2/3 were worded strangely so i just sort of guessed what they wanted us to say, hopefully some of it will be right haha

Quick Reply

Latest