The Student Room Group

TSR Catholic Society

Scroll to see replies

Original post by adamrules247
Just to ask a totally random question, are you, and the other members of your Cath Soc, members of the Christian Union. I'm just curious because obviously we have separate society when all the other Christian groups appear to stand under the united banner and also because many of the Catholics I've seen aren't members and, also, it seems to appear that some have a tiny whiff of anti Catholicism about them.

BTW This question is open to anyone who's in uni or has been to uni.

Hi Adam,

I'm just coming to the end of my first year at Warwick uni and I have been quite involved with the Christian Union here. Having said that, I'm the only Catholic I know of that is. The CU here is heavily Protestant, in terms of its theology and the way they go about things, and they don't even include Catholic churches on their list of churches in the nearby area - so they really make no effort to accomodate Catholics.

But I am quite involved for a few reasons. Firstly, the CathSoc here at Warwick is quite small and hasn't put on many events this year. Also, I feel ecumenism is very important and the talks and the meetings and the Bible studies are actually a lot of the time very good, even though I will often disagree with what's being said.

Their obsession with evangelism irks me somewhat. Having said that, I do think evangelism is important and that perhaps Catholics just don't talk about it enough, although the CU talks about it far too much. I have felt uncomfortable when doing 'evangelism events' and hearing views professed to non-Christians that I disagree with.

This is just my experience of one CU, and although they are a Protestant group essentially, they're not anti-Catholic and I've never had a problem telling members of the CU that I'm a Catholic. I'm even leading a Bible study group with them now! So yeah, I think it might be worth having a look to see how it is, but it's certainly understandable if you don't feel comfortable there.
Original post by jammiebreadman
Hi Adam,

I'm just coming to the end of my first year at Warwick uni and I have been quite involved with the Christian Union here. Having said that, I'm the only Catholic I know of that is. The CU here is heavily Protestant, in terms of its theology and the way they go about things, and they don't even include Catholic churches on their list of churches in the nearby area - so they really make no effort to accomodate Catholics.

But I am quite involved for a few reasons. Firstly, the CathSoc here at Warwick is quite small and hasn't put on many events this year. Also, I feel ecumenism is very important and the talks and the meetings and the Bible studies are actually a lot of the time very good, even though I will often disagree with what's being said.

Their obsession with evangelism irks me somewhat. Having said that, I do think evangelism is important and that perhaps Catholics just don't talk about it enough, although the CU talks about it far too much. I have felt uncomfortable when doing 'evangelism events' and hearing views professed to non-Christians that I disagree with.

This is just my experience of one CU, and although they are a Protestant group essentially, they're not anti-Catholic and I've never had a problem telling members of the CU that I'm a Catholic. I'm even leading a Bible study group with them now! So yeah, I think it might be worth having a look to see how it is, but it's certainly understandable if you don't feel comfortable there.

:hi: Thanks for the input, it really is interesting hearing the wide variety of opinions :smile:

Also, welcome to the society :smile: I saw from your post you have some doubts. If it's just general doubts then I think (as a mathematician) you may enjoy Oxford's Professor of Mathematics and Christian apologist Professor John Lennox (look him up on YouTube), if it's doubts about Catholicism we can usually cobble something together between us, and if we can't then Yawn, one of our members (away for a couple of weeks ATM though) can usually answer them (she's a genius, seriously) :colonhash:

But I need some sleep now so don't expect a reply till tomorrow :tongue:
Original post by Aula
Oh well, never mind. Probably someone who doesn't want me realising it's them. It was worth nothing though. Sometimes I wish I was still a sub so could see who had negged me, but I don't revenge neg anyway, so it doesn't matter too much.

Umm... I think we probably have about 20 regular active members, though far more who turn up to church, possibly more who tend to come along to the pub after mass... I'm not actually very good with estimating numbers :colondollar:

Results tomorrow, I have a feeling I may spend a lot of tonight praying to St. Jude :erm:

Hehe, so same size. Quite funny though more people join you in the pub afterwards :teehee:

And good luck with the results, you'll do fine :smile: And I'll ask St Benedict to intercede for you :h:
Reply 2163

Hehe, so same size. Quite funny though more people join you in the pub afterwards :teehee:

And good luck with the results, you'll do fine :smile: And I'll ask St Benedict to intercede for you :h:

When I say active, I mean really active, like the core members who go along to pretty much everything. There's lots more who come along to a lot of things, or just a few things. Cathsoc here is pretty huge really.

Thanks. I really appreciate it. I wish the Cathedral was open right now (and that the weather wasn't rainy) because I would really like to go up to St. Cuthbert's shrine, and St. Bede's tomb.
Just to ask a totally random question, are you, and the other members of your Cath Soc, members of the Christian Union. I'm just curious because obviously we have separate society when all the other Christian groups appear to stand under the united banner and also because many of the Catholics I've seen aren't members and, also, it seems to appear that some have a tiny whiff of anti Catholicism about them.

BTW This question is open to anyone who's in uni or has been to uni.

Very wise advice there :yep: I probably won't join the CU, they seem a little 'happy clappy' from what I've read and, like I said, I find it pretty insulting they've left the Catholic Cathedral off their list of churches they'll take their members to.

Hi,

I'm a first year Engineer at Oxford, and I've probably been much more active in OICCU than in the Catholic Chaplaincy. Realistically, what has to be kept in mind with most Christian Unions is that they are Protestant organisations. That's why, Adam, they don't have Catholic churches on their list of churches in the area. However this is not an action that OICCU (as an example) has taken alone; all churches on the list have to sign up to the CU's "Statement of Faith" which (if you want it) can be found on the website. You don't have to sign it to be a member, but obviously the basis of the CU leadership will be these values, so it would be silly for them to include churches who don't agree with these beliefs.

I'd also point out that it's up to individual students to go to church, the CU is an additional body for those who want it, so they don't "Take their members" to any churches, like I said, these are just churches which agree to the statement of faith.

Personally, I have no problem with evangelism; in fact, I think it's something that we miss out sometimes! Luckily for me (or more likely, through His grace) the current CU committee share my view that there's more to evangelism than just telling someone that Jesus is the Way, the Truth and the Life and leaving it there, so we're getting on even better now than we did before.

People don't have a problem with me being a Catholic and in the CU; the only inkling of a hint of a mention of an issue is when there is some sort of doctrinal difference, because (just like you don't like to hear something preached you don't believe) the CU doesn't like to hear something it doesn't believe preached. But people respect your right to believe it. Moreso, I have been blessed to have some of my Protestant friends come along to Mass because they are eager to support me in my faith, and it was great to have them take part in our worship!

I don't have problems with the CU being predominantly Protestant or the Chaplaincy being specifically Catholic. What I have a problem with is opposition on both sides (and it exists on both sides) to each group working with the other. Coming from NI, there is an emphasis at home on the importance of ecumenism because it is perceived that at home we're very bad at it. Disappointingly, what I've experienced here is that while there are loads of members of the Chaplaincy who are friends with members of OICCU, and loads of members of OICCU who are friends with members of the Chaplaincy, there is little to no interaction between the OICCU and the Chaplaincy.

In the words of St Augustine: In essentials, unity; in non-essentials, liberty; in all things, charity. This is how my relationship with OICCU has worked; I can only pray that it is like this for more people and that the future will see more interaction between the Chaplaincy/CathSoc and OICCU.
:hello:

Hello everyone,

Just joined this society, thought I'd say a bit to introduce myself.

I'm a 1st year maths student at Warwick university. Cradle Catholic through and through, though certainly going through a tough time with my faith and having lots of doubts.

Would be great to meet some TSR Catholics :smile:

:hi:

Remember that a problem shared is a problem halved :smile:
Original post by Aula
Oh well, never mind. Probably someone who doesn't want me realising it's them. It was worth nothing though. Sometimes I wish I was still a sub so could see who had negged me, but I don't revenge neg anyway, so it doesn't matter too much.

Alex-jc123 negged me for saying that it's an extra incentive to go for Catholic unis, so maybe he negged you too :dontknow:

Prayer said for your results :smile:
Reply 2167
I hate dissertations :angry:

I might go buy a gold St. Cuthbert cross now though.
Original post by Aula
I hate dissertations :angry:

I might go buy a gold St. Cuthbert cross now though.

:console: for the dissertation but :awesome: for the St Cuthbert cross :awesome:

My dissertation is on Glee fans, so not all dissertations are bad :ninja:
Reply 2169
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd

:console: for the dissertation but :awesome: for the St Cuthbert cross :awesome:

My dissertation is on Glee fans, so not all dissertations are bad :ninja:

I'm sure not all dissertations are bad, but I've failed mine, and therefore, despite having an average of a 2:1 in most of my other modules this year, I have an ordinary degree.

And I can only go buy the cross if my mother says I can.
Original post by Aula
I'm sure not all dissertations are bad, but I've failed mine, and therefore, despite having an average of a 2:1 in most of my other modules this year, I have an ordinary degree.

And I can only go buy the cross if my mother says I can.

Sorry to hear that :jumphug: Can you appeal against your mark? :smile:
:hi: Thanks for the input, it really is interesting hearing the wide variety of opinions :smile:

Also, welcome to the society :smile: I saw from your post you have some doubts. If it's just general doubts then I think (as a mathematician) you may enjoy Oxford's Professor of Mathematics and Christian apologist Professor John Lennox (look him up on YouTube), if it's doubts about Catholicism we can usually cobble something together between us, and if we can't then Yawn, one of our members (away for a couple of weeks ATM though) can usually answer them (she's a genius, seriously) :colonhash:

But I need some sleep now so don't expect a reply till tomorrow :tongue:

That's no problem at all.

Yeah I've heard of John Lennox, I think I saw his debate against Richard Dawkins - he was very good.

It's more general doubts about the existence of God and truth of Christianity than specifically Catholicism, but it's always good to hear some Catholic specific apologetics! I've seen Yawn around here, she does seem brilliant. You seem to be not doing so badly yourself debating on the religious threads :wink:
Reply 2172

Sorry to hear that :jumphug: Can you appeal against your mark? :smile:

Yeah, I've been into the dept, and I can appeal on the basis of info that the board of examiners didn't have at the time of making the decision. If that's successful, I'll be able to resubmit the dissertation.

And I said a Rosary by the shrine of St. Cuthbert, which calmed me down massively, and then went a bought my cross and chain :h:

Out of interest, what are peoples opinions wrt crosses vs crucifixes? I have a friend who's been getting distressed that very few members of Cathsoc seem to have crucifixes round their necks.
Original post by Aula
Yeah, I've been into the dept, and I can appeal on the basis of info that the board of examiners didn't have at the time of making the decision. If that's successful, I'll be able to resubmit the dissertation.

And I said a Rosary by the shrine of St. Cuthbert, which calmed me down massively, and then went a bought my cross and chain :h:

Out of interest, what are peoples opinions wrt crosses vs crucifixes? I have a friend who's been getting distressed that very few members of Cathsoc seem to have crucifixes round their necks.

That's good to hear :smile:

I'm more a medals person than a cross or crucifix person. I have issues with depictions of the Crucified Christ so lean slightly more towards crosses. I suppose the proper thing to do would be to wear a crucifix though :dontknow:
That's good to hear :smile:

I'm more a medals person than a cross or crucifix person. I have issues with depictions of the Crucified Christ so lean slightly more towards crosses. I suppose the proper thing to do would be to wear a crucifix though :dontknow:

I have a picture of Mary and the infant Christ at home to remind me of Christ as the son of God coming into the world and his mission.
Original post by Aula

I wear a crucifix (Christ made of white gold and the Cross of yellow gold). I don't see the problem with crucifixes. Both my grand ma' had crucifixes above their bed and I saw plenty in class rooms. Nuns wear wood cross, but it's rather due to their vow of poverty than something wrong with crucifixes.

It's my humble opinion, someone else more enlighten could have better idea on the subject.
Reply 2176
Oh, to clarify, I have no issue with crucifixes, I intend to get one at some stage when I have the money, but my want for a cuthbert cross was greater and more appropriate for a graduation present.

I have a crucifix on my noticeboard, but not around my neck (yet). I think the main reason for the greater presence of crosses is the fact that they're much easier to get hold of.

Original post by LysFromParis
I wear a crucifix (Christ made of white gold and the Cross of yellow gold). I don't see the problem with crucifixes. Both my grand ma' had crucifixes above their bed and I saw plenty in class rooms. Nuns wear wood cross, but it's rather due to their vow of poverty than something wrong with crucifixes.

It's my humble opinion, someone else more enlighten could have better idea on the subject.

Your crucifix sounds beautiful.
And I'm sure they could, but I was curious to know the opinions of individuals on here, not the informed voice of the church.
I was reading a post on the forum, and I come around someone stating "Satan can disguise as an angel".

So I wanted to discuss here what do you think about it:

If you take the bible literally, Satan was an angel and leaded the rebellion against god.

In Catechism I've been taught it's about us being born good but doing bad morale choice out of our free will. Turning away from God and rebelling against him as a free choice. The angels rebellion also carry the idea of "being god like", which is something more true than ever in our modern society. We can create, manipulate and destroy life easily and arrogance could lead us towards a very bad direction. In this context Satan as the personification of human arrogance and pride. What is very impressing is how it echoes with today world.

What's your opinion on the matter ?

Edit : my apologies for wrong vocabularies, I am not native speaker and probably miss appropriate one in some cases.
(edited 12 years ago)
I think Satan can definitely disguise himself as a force of good and thus unwittingly lead people astray :sadnod: I know he's played a few tricks like that on me :o:

I think we're all born with the potential to do great good or great evil and it's a matter of what we make of our life.

My meeting with the priest this morning went well. He doesn't half talk a lot though :biggrin: Turns out before he became a(n Anglican) priest, he was a mental health social worker, so he knows all about psychosis and depression and what they do to people like me. He seems very supportive :smile:

We didn't get much chance to chat about my voices because he jabbered on a lot but he puts them all down to illness rather than anything else. He said not to worry too much about where the positive voices are coming from or what's causing them, but to just go with the flow on those ones. Hopefully we'll get another chance to talk about it soon :smile:
Original post by LysFromParis
I was reading a post on the forum, and I come around someone stating "Satan can disguise as an angel".

So I wanted to discuss here what do you think about it:

If you take the bible literally, Satan was an angel and leaded the rebellion against god.

In Catechism I've been taught it's about us being born good but doing bad morale choice out of our free will. Turning away from God and rebelling against him as a free choice. The angels rebellion also carry the idea of "being god like", which is something more true than ever in our modern society. We can create, manipulate and destroy life easily and arrogance could lead us towards a very bad direction. In this context Satan as the personification of human arrogance and pride. What is very impressing is how it echoes with today world.

What's your opinion on the matter ?

Edit : my apologies for wrong vocabularies, I am not native speaker and probably miss appropriate one in some cases.

Satan can certainly come as someone appearing to do good. Hitler and Stalin undoubtably did visual good in their countireis, building roads, factories, lowering employment, etc. but were genuinely evil people. Our human arrogance is what made our first parents sin as well. 'Eat it and ye shall be like gods, knowing good and evil'. That is what the snake said to our first parents and it is what he says to all of us through our damaged state through original sin. Just my thoughts anyway.

Original post by Aula

:hug: Well that's good news that you can re-submit it :h:

I wear a St. Benedict's Medal cum crucifix, similar to this. It's about 3 inches long (fairly big actually). My sponsor gave it to me and it was my best friend's. I also have a miraculous medal and a Our Lady of Walsingham Medal in my wallet.

That's no problem at all.

Yeah I've heard of John Lennox, I think I saw his debate against Richard Dawkins - he was very good.

It's more general doubts about the existence of God and truth of Christianity than specifically Catholicism, but it's always good to hear some Catholic specific apologetics! I've seen Yawn around here, she does seem brilliant. You seem to be not doing so badly yourself debating on the religious threads :wink:

It's certainly an enjoyable one. It was quite lovely seeing the smug smile wiped off Dawkins' face. The best way to think about it is due to man's desire to constantly improve himself, etc. he is trying to get back to Eden. My advice is to pray, pray and pray into the situation. Ask Jesus to help you and try the patron saint of lost causes, St. Jude. We live in a world where it is very difficult to believe I admit so perhaps throw yourself into Catholicism, read the Catechism and Bible and the written works of the Saints. Also, look at creation itself. Worship God because of what we understand. Worship His complexity and sheer amazingness.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending