The Student Room Group

AQA BIOL5 Biology Unit 5 Exam - 22nd June 2011

Scroll to see replies

Original post by m0man
Jeez is June 2010 the only BIOL5 past paper out there? I need to do a mock test before tomorrow!

Ther is a January 2011 one I think, try googling it.

LOL jeez just made a suggestion, no need for -ve rep :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by feelbetter
Hi, I have a couple of questions, firstly,
say you wanted to insert a gene like the gene for healthy CFPR channel protein, you spray you insert it into harmless adenovirus etc and spray into nostrils, however, they say it would be more effective if the could get it to stem cells, which would provide a more long-term solution, but how? Once stem cells have divided, they're not replaced with new stem cells, so does the treatment have to be repeated for the stem cells? I'm a bit confused with this...can anyone help?

because stem cells mature to tissue, and this tissue will contain the gene, stem cells rapidly divide.
Hi, I have a couple of questions, firstly,
say you wanted to insert a gene like the gene for healthy CFPR channel protein, you spray you insert it into harmless adenovirus etc and spray into nostrils, however, they say it would be more effective if the could get it to stem cells, which would provide a more long-term solution, but how? Once stem cells have divided, they're not replaced with new stem cells, so does the treatment have to be repeated for the stem cells? I'm a bit confused with this...can anyone help?

stem cells constantly replicate themselves. So no treatment does not need to be repeated
Original post by User12399
because stem cells mature to tissue, and this tissue will contain the gene, stem cells rapidly divide.

But don't stem cells need to be replaced to, i.e be retreated?
But don't stem cells need to be replaced to, i.e be retreated?

correct, once stem cells are placed they do not die (unless you get some diesease), the tissue is formed and as you know tissue can repair it self if it is damaged and stem cells divide!
Original post by Tericon
That's DNA Sequencing :tongue:

Did someone get back to you with restriction mapping?
Reply 1786
Original post by Scarface-Don

I checked the AQA website, they didnt have it, even the grade boundaries didn't show BIOL5 so I don't think there was BIOL5 sitting in January :/
Reply 1787
My teacher said there are 26 marks AO1
25 for the essay and 1 mark elsewhere. Does this mean I won't need to memorise definitions word by word as it won't be asked (except that 1 mark)?
Can someone be a dear and explain the difference between the first and second messenger model for me? And what the advantages are?
Reply 1789
Giving up the will to live. X_x

Literally exhausted, my brain is mush.
Dunno how im gonna carry on revising all night.
Reply 1790
Original post by Scarface-Don

unfortunately there isnt! or i would have sat it in jan and wouldnt have to do it now!
My brain feels burnt out :awesome:
Original post by m0man
I checked the AQA website, they didnt have it, even the grade boundaries didn't show BIOL5 so I don't think there was BIOL5 sitting in January :/

This is the annoying thing about having a new specification :frown:
Original post by User12399
correct, once stem cells are placed they do not die (unless you get some diesease), the tissue is formed and as you know tissue can repair it self if it is damaged and stem cells divide!

Thanks, I think I get it a bit more:smile:
Reply 1794
Has anyone got a link to the June 2010 Examiner's report?
Original post by Sparkly-Star
Can anyone explain replica plating please thank you? :smile:

I am using the example in the NT book, pg 251 for the vector and page 252 for the process.

you are trying to separate cells which are tetracycline-resistant from those that are tetracycline-sensitive (and therefore carry your gene of interest).

First grow the cells on an ampicillin medium (all cells containing vector will grow).

Using a velvet cloth, "stamp" a copy of this plate onto a new plate which contains tetracycline.

Cells which have your gene of interest will be tetracycline-senstive, and will not grow.

Go back to the ampicillin plate and pick out the colonies that did not grow on the tetracycline plate.

These will carry your gene. Grow up these bacterial cells.
Original post by angel1992
ohh so how does insulin act as a second messenger??? what is an example?

Afaik insulin doesn't, it decreases glucose conc. not increase it. I think the second messenger model only has to do with glucagon or adrenalin, both increase glucose concentration when a decrease in conc away from it's set value occurs.
Reply 1797
Original post by Abby :)
Giving up the will to live. X_x

Literally exhausted, my brain is mush.
Dunno how im gonna carry on revising all night.

Hey how was Psychology? :smile:
Reply 1798
Original post by flowerscat
Did someone get back to you with restriction mapping?

No, can you? That'd be great :smile:
For the essay, can we draw diagrams and annotate? Will we get extra marks for doing that?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending