The Student Room Group

Edexcel A2 Biology Unit 5 (6BIO5) - 22/06/2011- OFFICIAL THREAD !

Scroll to see replies

Reply 2520
Original post by Jammers123
Anyone got a quick link to all past papers and mark schemes? Thanks in advance :wink: x

http://vle.havant.ac.uk/Biology_web/exam_papers.htm
some keyword definitions:

Recombinant bacteria - is a microorganism whose genetic makeup has been altered by the deliberate introduction of new genetic elements. The offspring of the altered bacteria also contain new genetic elements.

Atrophy - the decrease in the size of any organ caused by disuse or disease. Atrophy is caused by mutations/poor nourishment/poor circulation/disuse/lack of exercise

Muscular dystrophy - a group of inherited disorders that involve muscle weakness, loss of muscle tissue which gets worse over time. Is a genetic [inherited] condition that gradually causes muscles to weaken

Gene doping - the non-therapeutic use of cells, genes, genetic elements or the modulation of gene expression, having the capacity to improve athletic performance.

Muscle biopsy - is a procedure in which a piece of muscle tissue is removed from the organism and is examined microscopically - shows how muscle fibres are damaged
Reply 2523
theres a chance of getting a cystic-fibrosis related question.......
no sure tough...... BTW at wat time GMT is ur xam 2moro?
Reply 2524
How many marks should you be aiming to get in questions 1-6 (pure unit 5 part which is out of 60) and the article questions (question 7 which is out of 30) to get an A?

Ive done spec and june paper and have been getting 43-45/60 from 1uestions 1-6 --- not good...
Original post by sar_91

Mine's at 9:00AM
Original post by sheep_go_baa
Anyone know the grade boundaries for the June 2010 paper????

these are out of 90:
A* - 56
A - 51
B - 46
C - 41
D - 36
E - 32

and if you wanted out of 60 (without q7 - article) (did this by working out the percentage of raw marks needed for each one out of 90)
A* - 37
A - 34
B - 31
C - 28
D - 24
E - 22
Original post by sar_91

8:45

Original post by imaam
How many marks should you be aiming to get in questions 1-6 (pure unit 5 part which is out of 60) and the article questions (question 7 which is out of 30) to get an A?

Ive done spec and june paper and have been getting 43-45/60 from 1uestions 1-6 --- not good...

Yeah I got 46 in the June 2010 paper (excluding Q7 ofcourse) but I found a grade boundary sheet thing, and for unit 6BI05 you need 56/90 for an A*, 51/90 for an A and 46/90 for a B.

So assuming we do okay in the synoptic, I think a score of 40+ is pretty good :smile:
Original post by nikki_aiyana
these are out of 90:
and if you wanted out of 60 (without q7 - article) (did this by working out the percentage of raw marks needed for each one out of 90)
A* - 37
A - 34
B - 31
C - 28
D - 24
E - 22

Awesome, thankyou <33
Suggest the functions of synapses within the nervous system. (5)
What caueses the retina to be desribed as imverted???
Reply 2531
Original post by sheep_go_baa
8:45

Yeah I got 46 in the June 2010 paper (excluding Q7 ofcourse) but I found a grade boundary sheet thing, and for unit 6BI05 you need 56/90 for an A*, 51/90 for an A and 46/90 for a B.

So assuming we do okay in the synoptic, I think a score of 40+ is pretty good :smile:

Ok kl thanks, looking at the jan 2011 grade boundaries an A*=64 and an A=58 so getting around 45+ in q1-6 then getting around 20 for synoptic should be ok.

Depends how friendly the article questions are gonna be though...
Original post by StudentToday
What caueses the retina to be desribed as imverted???

The receptors are at the back while the nerves are at the front
Reply 2533
Has any one plz plz plz got the JAN 2011 unit 5 Mark scheme ... PLZ
Original post by Adam9
Has any one plz plz plz got the JAN 2011 unit 5 Mark scheme ... PLZ

http://hgbiology.wikispaces.com/file/view/Jan+2011+Unit+5+MS.pdf
All I can say is: I'm so ******* screwed for this exam
Good day to you all.
Reply 2536
In the article it says "viruses are recognized and destroyed by the immune system".
How does that happen? In one of the notes here it says that blymphocytes produces antibodies that destroys it. But doesn't antibodies only destroy bacteria, or can it also destroy viruses?
What is the role of neurotransmitters in the brain?
Reply 2538
Can anyone please summarise what phytokines do and all that Pr and Pfr stuff - its just too confusing... PLEASE
Reply 2539
Original post by gildartz
And that's why you hide your phone/book behind the bio textbook. Alt + tab has been so unbelievably useful during exam periods :biggrin:

I'm too slow- get rather caught up in my game/book! And even when I do, by strange coincidence, a text will go off, so I will be accused of texting and not revising!

Quick Reply

Latest