The Student Room Group

AQA BIOL5 Biology Unit 5 Exam - 22nd June 2011

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1820
Original post by Philip_H
Erm... detecting external responses: Pacinian Corpuscle/Meissner's Corpuslce etc and Rods/Cones.

I am question hunting. Generally the 2nd time around the paper has stuff relating to the spec paper which wasn't asked in the 1st paper :wink:

Is it just those? I haven't got the paper with me but what part of Chapter 16 came up in the June 10 paper?
Can't wait to see what animal AQA come up with now.
Original post by ?!master?!mini?!
or you could just say acetyl and choline :P

Yeah but Acetyl is the old name for it. Ethanoic acid abides by the IUPAC rules and is considered "more correct" than acetyl...
Reply 1823
or you could just say acetyl and choline :P

Not acetate?
Original post by cor_fortis
Yeah but Acetyl is the old name for it. Ethanoic acid abides by the IUPAC rules and is considered "more correct" than acetyl...

easier to remember. acetyl-choline. u see?

Me>IUPAC :tongue:
Original post by Phalange
Not acetate?

tis a different chemical
Hey, what are we thinking for the essay question?
I can't remember if I just asked this but do we need to know about cystic fibrosis?
easier to remember. acetyl-choline. u see?

Me>IUPAC
:tongue:

Ahaaa nice one :smile: 1+ rep for you :P

Im going to be doing a chemistry degree (grades permitting) so its just feels wrong calling it acetyl...
Reply 1829
Original post by cor_fortis
tis a different chemical

I thought acetylcholine is broken down into acetate and choline by acetylcholinesterase. Acetyl is a functional group like methyl?
Am I right in thinking that it's possible to get 23 marks on the essay without writing in continuous prose?

The essay is out of 25 marks and I believe only 3 marks are for structure.

There are:
16 for scientific content
3 for breadth of knowledge
3 for relevance
3 for quality of written communication.

Assuming this is write, it would be far easier to write 8 explained points to get your 16 marks and then include something from the news lately or some applied examples and explain them for another 3 marks. Assuming you got the 16 marks for content then surely you'd get the 3 for relevance.

I absolutely suck at writing essays as I spend too much time but my teacher said structing it like this is fine. :s-smilie:
(edited 12 years ago)
anyone got an ideas about what essays are gonna come up? :smile:
Original post by Biologyman
Am I right in thinking that it's possible to get 23 marks on the essay without writing in continuous prose?

The essay is out of 25 marks and I believe only 3 marks are for structure.

There are:
16 for scientific content
3 for breadth of knowledge
3 for relevance
3 for quality of written communication.

Assuming this is write, it would be far easier to write 8 explained points to get your 16 marks and then include something from the news lately or some applied examples and explain them for another 3 marks. Assuming you got the 16 marks for content then surely you'd get the 3 for relevance.

I absolutely suck at writing essays as I spend too much time but my teacher said structing it like this is fine. :s-smilie:

so do I! It is so messed up that AQA has this essay! Not everyone is good at essays! And everything from AS as well! Who do they think we are, a dictionary?
Reply 1833
are receptors proteins?
I'm thinking the essays may be on DNA or the role of receptors in coordination maybe.
Reply 1835
Hello there guys, does anyone have some notes or tips on remembering the stuff for the control of the heartbeat? The book i've got doesn't explain it that well and I forgot to ask my teacher about it earlier :/
Original post by User12399
so do I! It is so messed up that AQA has this essay! Not everyone is good at essays! And everything from AS as well! Who do they think we are, a dictionary?

16 marks for scientific content is absolutely nothing, I fail to see why anyone would need to put it into an essay as it's going to be at most like 1 page?

I'd much rather cut out all the crap with introductions and conclusions and drop 3 marks than get 3 marks for writing in continuous prose.

You can get marked on your plan assuming you don't finish the essay so surely this is better than getting marked on a plan as you'll actually be explaining points.

I've never had a problem doing this before on the 6 mark questions in any of the sciences. :rolleyes:
Reply 1837
Examiner's report? Anybody?
Original post by Phalange
I thought acetylcholine is broken down into acetate and choline by acetylcholinesterase. Acetyl is a functional group like methyl?

acetyl is a molecule not a functional group, it is actually ethanoyl, but Alevel biochemistry dumbs it down a bit.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by laura123
are receptors proteins?

Proteins (on cell surface membranes) or cells :wink:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending