The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Hygeia
I'm now Dr Hygeia :eek:

Can't rep you, but WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! :biggrin:
Original post by Mushi_master
On a slightly unrelated note I can't frickin' wait for Sonisphere in a few weeks time. Slightly excited.

Anthrax man, all I need to round out the Big 4.
Original post by Hygeia
I'm now Dr Hygeia :eek:

Congrats! :party:
Original post by i'm no superman
Our semester 4 clinical skills teaching...

- gynaecological examination - bimanual palpation, bivalve (cusco) speculum examination, performing a cervical smear
- examination of the groin, hernial orifices and male external genitalia
- antenatal obstetric examination
- examining a lump (generic)
- examination of the breast
- GALS assessment
- tissue viability
- phlebotomy (manakin)
- first aid
- otoscopy and hearing assessment
- manual handling

...and any of those + anything from semesters 1 - 3 can come up in the OSCE next week. Very underprepared. It's as if we're expected to be doctors by the end of second year or something. Some may think that it's good that we're taught clinicals earlier on - I personally think it's a bit ambitious and excessive given our curriculum structure.

Er, thats slightly extensive. I'd probably die under the pressure! :p:

We just had to know the following:
CVS exam
Resp exam
Abdominal exam
Shoulder exam
Hip exam
Knee exam
BP measurement
PEFR
Walking the blind
Talking to the deaf
Thyroid exam
Cranial Nerves exam
Upper Limb exam (motor and sensory)
Lower Limb exam (motor and sensory)
GALS
BLS
Communication Skills (gaining consent, taking a history, dealing with angry patients etc).

I swear just doing that felt like a lot to do in second year so your stuff must be crazy hard! Thats not to put you off or anything before they start! Haha.

Original post by Kinkerz
Ours is relatively systems based, but it's also spiral. Like, we did everything in year one (bar a few topics), but revisited most things in year two and covered the majority of the things we missed (and we'll cover the remainder next year).

For instance, last year my understanding on a lot of the topics was reasonable, but not brilliant; I feel like after year two I understand most bodily systems really quite well. And a lot of the students who didn't feel comfortable with things after first year got a second chance to bolster things this year.

I guess you could then make the argument for covering things properly once rather than the spiral filling in gaps each time you complete a turn. Then again, human memory often leaves a lot to be desired; I'm convinced I'll remember things better having covered information twice or once but had a decent grounding to work on than if I'd just covered it once from scratch.

This is pretty much our course tbh - systems based but spiral. And it works well.

Spoiler

First year was the basic anatomy + physiology with some bits of pathology thrown in there for good measure (so like Asthma, Heart Failure, COPD, CF, Sickle Cell etc). Second year focussed mainly on pathology within the systems which was more interesting in some respects.

We didn't explicitly cover the old stuff from year one yet again in year two because that would just be pointless and there'll be no point having a first year, but some pbls this year required as to 'review' stuff from year one again to make sense of things. So in essence you had to know 'everything' for end of year exams in year 2 which is what makes second year at BL one of the hardest years (I've been told).

I agree that the spiral curriculum really does work in that you tend to remember a lot of info by the end of second year - I was surprised how much stuff from first year I'd forgotten and back then I thought I'd learnt it properly for end of year exams. Pshhhh. Only problem is I'm choosing to intercelate next year so I'm going to have to revise all this stuff again next summer if I want to stand a chance of surviving on firms. :p:
Original post by John Locke
thanks! well done on the absolute fab result!!!!!!

not necessarily, we get our results back in 2 weeks or less and each write 13 (?) essays in total which is pretty efficient stuff from the examiners.

Yeah but our medical school is relatively massive, it takes longer to go through them...

I have no better argument than that! :p:
Original post by Medicine Man

Er, thats slightly extensive. I'd probably die under the pressure! :p:

We just had to know the following:
CVS exam
Resp exam
Abdominal exam

Shoulder exam
Hip exam
Knee exam
BP measurement
PEFR
Walking the blind
Talking to the deaf
Thyroid exam
Cranial Nerves exam

Upper Limb exam (motor and sensory)
Lower Limb exam (motor and sensory)
GALS
BLS
Communication Skills (gaining consent, taking a history, dealing with angry patients etc).

I swear just doing that felt like a lot to do in second year so your stuff must be crazy hard! Thats not to put you off or anything before they start! Haha.

That's what we have to know, with added stuff like scrubbing/gloving/gowning, injections, RA or carpal tunnel hand examinations, urinalysis, TPR and stuff like that. And wrist/elbow/ankle exams too. And examining lumps and spine examination :p:
Yeah but our medical school is relatively massive, it takes longer to go through them...

I have no better argument than that! :p:

i imagine you have more examiners than us though :tongue:
Original post by xXxBaby-BooxXx
That's what we have to know, with added stuff like scrubbing/gloving/gowning, injections, RA or carpal tunnel hand examinations, urinalysis, TPR and stuff like that. And wrist/elbow/ankle exams too. And examining lumps and spine examination :p:

Oh those tests (Phalen's Test, Tinel sign) re carpal tunnel syndrome etc. were mentioned to us at some point last year, as were Rombergs Test and tests for graphesthesia etc. this year but we weren't examined on them in OSCEs. Those specific tests tended to come in spotter exams.

My best mate is a second year at "Norwich Medical School" (:wink:) and he's always on about how good your OSCE teaching is - and I agree it is. I learnt bits of my shoulder and hip exams from him (because I didn't go to (m)any of my sessions this year) although apparently you guys dont cover neuro until later so he pretty much knows nothing on the cranial nerve examination and was like :zomg: when I told him we had to know it in year one. That said, he does have an NHS card just because of the nature of your course and gets 40% off from Nandos! So jel.

i'm no superman
sjsfsafakfhfj

Also, LOL! Joined today!
i imagine you have more examiners than us though :tongue:

Hmmm, this is also true. :holmes:

Fine, I basically dont want to have to sit essays as part of my end of year exams. :huff:

They'd be annoying and stressful and would take longer to mark...

Oh those tests (Phalen's Test, Tinel sign) re carpal tunnel syndrome etc. were mentioned to us at some point last year, as were Rombergs Test and tests for graphesthesia etc. this year but we weren't examined on them in OSCEs. Those specific tests tended to come in spotter exams.

My best mate is a second year at "Norwich Medical School" (:wink:) and he's always on about how good your OSCE teaching is - and I agree it is. I learnt bits of my shoulder and hip exams from him (because I didn't go to (m)any of my sessions this year) although apparently you guys dont cover neuro until later so he pretty much knows nothing on the cranial nerve examination and was like :zomg: when I told him we had to know it in year one. That said, he does have an NHS card just because of the nature of your course and gets 40% off from Nandos! So jel.

The Paget is amazing for teaching joint examination. The orthopod lead there is just awesome. Helped me get all my examinations to ~3mins from start to finish (with a fully compliant patient of course :wink:) And yeah the only nerves I know are the ones in the limbs. And 40%!? I swear it's only 20........ :s-smilie:
....That said, he does have an NHS card just because of the nature of your course and gets 40% off from Nandos! So jel. ...

massively jealous of any medical schools with the early NHS cards
Original post by visesh
Originally Posted by Becca-Sarah
I find anyone who's willing to touch someone else's naked scrotum with bare hands a little odd, if I'm honest...

I had to do that in my OSCE today. And there wasn't a sink nearby so I had to dash straight into the next one. It's not as bad as my friend, who ended up auscultating the scrotum and forgot to clean it for the rest of the circuit :p:

I have to take it back. I touched a naked scrotum with my bare hands.
And I've had to convert to the general surgery way of doing things, and only wear a single pair of gloves in theatre. It feels like I'm not wearing any. Which is concerning in the presence of poop and blood.
No wonder I've spent all week feeling nauseated :sigh:

Also, LOL! Joined today!

We did cranial nerve exam in year 1 too, and sensory, motor and proprioception exam.
The Paget is amazing for teaching joint examination. The orthopod lead there is just awesome. Helped me get all my examinations to ~3mins from start to finish (with a fully compliant patient of course :wink:) And yeah the only nerves I know are the ones in the limbs. And 40%!? I swear it's only 20........ :s-smilie:

Probably is 20%. All I know is that I always get him to pay for my food when we're out so I can leech off the discount too. :ninja:
Probably is 20%. All I know is that I always get him to pay for my food when we're out so I can leech off the discount too. :ninja:

And 50% off when you collect at Dominoes :daydreaming:
And 50% off when you collect at Dominoes :daydreaming:

Oh thats right....that actually explains why he's always going to "pick up some pizza", or "eating some pizza" or doing something pizza related whenever I ring him! :rofl:

This hurts me so much. :p:

Where else does this card give you discounts? I might as well just let him get me whatever I need at such places when he finally breaks off for summer! :teeth:

I do have an NHS card from my work experience 3 years ago though which has no expiry date on it. I am yet to test the waters to see if this will work in Nandos (and now Dominoes :wink:). I don't know why it has no expiry date on it though. Not complaining. haha.
Reply 4316
massively jealous of any medical schools with the early NHS cards

I'm pretty sure our local nandos accepts our Uni card as NHS as long as it says 'Medicine' on it.
We get NHS cards in first year. I've never tried them at Nando's, but the Domino's local to Keele don't accept NHS cards for some bizarre reason. We've tried many times.

Oh thats right....that actually explains why he's always going to "pick up some pizza", or "eating some pizza" or doing something pizza related whenever I ring him! :rofl:

This hurts me so much. :p:

Where else does this card give you discounts? I might as well just let him get me whatever I need at such places when he finally breaks off for summer! :teeth:

I do have an NHS card from my work experience 3 years ago though which has no expiry date on it. I am yet to test the waters to see if this will work in Nandos (and now Dominoes :wink:). I don't know why it has no expiry date on it though. Not complaining. haha.

Errrm there's an NHS Discounts website that you can sign up to and tells you all about the various discounts. Those are the only two I'm familiar with.
It's definitely 20% discount at Nandos :moon: For the majority of first year I couldn't cook to save my life. There's a Nandos 10mins walk into South Ken that could very easily have been incorporated into/have become the weekly shop. Frankly an NHS card would have been dangerous

Latest

Trending

Trending