The Student Room Group

Edexcel A2 Biology Unit 5 (6BIO5) - 22/06/2011- OFFICIAL THREAD !

Scroll to see replies

Yep it is AM
Original post by Phenylethylamine_
some keyword definitions:

Recombinant bacteria - is a microorganism whose genetic makeup has been altered by the deliberate introduction of new genetic elements. The offspring of the altered bacteria also contain new genetic elements.

Atrophy - the decrease in the size of any organ caused by disuse or disease. Atrophy is caused by mutations/poor nourishment/poor circulation/disuse/lack of exercise

Muscular dystrophy - a group of inherited disorders that involve muscle weakness, loss of muscle tissue which gets worse over time. Is a genetic [inherited] condition that gradually causes muscles to weaken

Gene doping - the non-therapeutic use of cells, genes, genetic elements or the modulation of gene expression, having the capacity to improve athletic performance.

Muscle biopsy - is a procedure in which a piece of muscle tissue is removed from the organism and is examined microscopically - shows how muscle fibres are damaged

cheers bro! this is brilliant
p.s wt about blood doping?
Only 14 hours until the exam. Good luck everyone.

JP
am so sorry for the many que. am asking... but I really need to do well on this exam..

wt about the difference between gene therapy and recombinant bacteria?
which one is the one at the last lesson of the green book????
Original post by abuelzouz
am so sorry for the many que. am asking... but I really need to do well on this exam..

wt about the difference between gene therapy and recombinant bacteria?
which one is the one at the last lesson of the green book????

gene therapy looks to alter the genes of a person with a disease to cure it whereas recombinant bacteria provide proteins (such as insulin) to help with the symptoms of the disease, not to cure the disease
I think that's about right, that was the stuff I did most recently lol x
Reply 2565
is recombinant bacteria in the pre-release aswell as the text book ... im goin over the pre-release now, but just to know

Unilateral light is when light shines on only one side... Does this include the light shining directly from above so side in the tips???
Has anyone got anything on the core practicals?
somebody?

1) difference between gene therapy and recombinant ? from where i can revise those?? plzz
2) what about QT syndrome???
Does anyone else find it wierd that the grade boundaries for the Jan 2011 paper are so much higher than the Jun 2010 paper? Even though the Jan 2011 paper is blaitantly harder than the Jun 2010 paper :/

somebody?

1) difference between gene therapy and recombinant ? from where i can revise those?? plzz
2) what about QT syndrome???

The long QT syndrome (LQTS) is a rare inborn heart condition in which delayed repolarization of the heart following a heartbeat increases the risk of episodes of torsade de pointes (TDP, a form of irregular heartbeat that originates from the ventricles).
Reply 2571
Original post by sheep_go_baa
Does anyone else find it wierd that the grade boundaries for the Jan 2011 paper are so much higher than the Jun 2010 paper? Even though the Jan 2011 paper is blaitantly harder than the Jun 2010 paper :/

i think that this is because it was mainly private candidates and re-takers who took this exam so i guess you could say they all did particularly well!
Original post by Meesta
i think that this is because it was mainly private candidates and re-takers who took this exam so i guess you could say they all did particularly well!

Stupid clever people making it harder for us peasants *shakes fist*
Original post by sheep_go_baa

As above, but also, the June 2010 paper was the first paper of this course sat.
These always have much lower grade boundaries to compensate, whereas we now have had 3 practice papers (including the specimen paper) and our teachers now know more to expect.
(edited 12 years ago)
What is gene splicing?
Ok i have finished memorising everything on topic 7 and 8. Time to begin on the article and synoptic poo.
Reply 2576
Not looking forward to this exam, i've revised so much but feel like i know so little. Last one though :smile:
I enjoy the fact that this will be my last ever biology exam :wink:
(edited 12 years ago)
I'm going for a walk then coming back to start revision on this damned article!!!
Reply 2579
Original post by billybo_h
Phytochromes are the photoreceptors in leaves, stem, root and shoot of plants.

Pr is converted to Pfr in daylight, and Pfr is converted to Pr in night time.

They control the flowering of plants (and germination of some). 'Long Day' plants will flower with a lot of Pfr as there is not much darkness so not much Pfr is converted back to Pr. 'Short Day' plants will flower with lots of Pr as there is enough darkness to convert the Pfr back to Pr.

This means plants can flower in different seasons depending on the day length.

There is also the fact that Pfr is changed back to Pr in far-red light, but that is unlikely to come up.

Thanks man.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending