The Student Room Group

Edexcel A2 Biology Unit 5 (6BIO5) - 22/06/2011- OFFICIAL THREAD !

Scroll to see replies

Original post by yagmurainie
How can antibody therepy used to block myostatin?

Myostatin limits the number of stem cells defferentiating in to muscle cells. Creating antibodies artificially that can bind to myostatin may increase the likely hood of the persons immune system attacking the myostatin meaning more stem cells can differentiate in to muscle cells.
Hope that helps :smile: its the limited knowledge i have on antibody therapy
Original post by care3ash
umm is is respirometer the same as spirometer? i understand the spirometer experiment, but im sure theres another experiment where u measure the oxygen uptake of maggots or something :/ i havnt got a clue cos i got kicked out of that lesson when we were doing it, and theres nothing about it in the text book or anything. would be grateful for you help mate (:

Nah spirometer is the Tidal volume one and things,

You are talking about sthe spirometer one, where sodalime is put to absorb the co2?

Well,

A basic respirometer has a sealed chamber containing living organism, the volume of carbondioxide given off is the same as the oxgen taken in, hence soda lime is used to absorb the C02 produced during respiration. The loss of C02 is measured by observing thr movement of fluid in the capillary tube, amount of oxygen used is calculated from this
Original post by claire4095
Myostatin limits the number of stem cells defferentiating in to muscle cells. Creating antibodies artificially that can bind to myostatin may increase the likely hood of the persons immune system attacking the myostatin meaning more stem cells can differentiate in to muscle cells.
Hope that helps :smile: its the limited knowledge i have on antibody therapy

Wouldn't the myostatin have self-antigens though?
Anybody know the exact Edexcel answer is for 'What is meant by the critical window?' (2 marks)
whats myostatin!!! :frown:
Reply 2625
Original post by darkiee
Nah spirometer is the Tidal volume one and things,

You are talking about sthe spirometer one, where sodalime is put to absorb the co2?

Well,

A basic respirometer has a sealed chamber containing living organism, the volume of carbondioxide given off is the same as the oxgen taken in, hence soda lime is used to absorb the C02 produced during respiration. The loss of C02 is measured by observing thr movement of fluid in the capillary tube, amount of oxygen used is calculated from this

thanks man i got bare love for you lol good luck
Original post by gildartz

because its prroduced naturally by the body, it would have self antigens but they would be "good" antigens, which the body recognizes as its own. It doesnt realise that they are causing a problem, so we must artificially tag them to allow them to be destroyed?

At least I think thats why.. feel free to correct me guys lol :smile:
Original post by hey-hey-hey
Do kidney cells produce epo? So during gene therapy the plasmid/virus attacks the kidney cells?

Yes, EPO proteins are made in kidney cells. Not sure what you mean, why would the vector attack kidney cells? Gene therapy is the insertion of a benifical gene in to a cell :smile:
Original post by Drummermean
Anybody know the exact Edexcel answer is for 'What is meant by the critical window?' (2 marks)

Is that for development? Of the visual thingy? I think its the time period when neural connections can be formed in the brain or something

Sorry that wasnt very useful aha :smile:
Original post by gildartz

It will, hense why the antibodies need to be artifically made to fit the antigens on the myostatin :smile:
Yes, EPO proteins are made in kidney cells. Not sure what you mean, why would the vector attack kidney cells? Gene therapy is the insertion of a benifical gene in to a cell :smile:

I think they mean when the vector inserts the genes into the target cell (the kidneys) it is effectively "attacking" the cell, which I guess it kinda is. But because its inserting good genes once it has "attacked" the cell, and doesnt have its own DNA anymore, it wont cause a negative effect??

Periods of time in which vital neural connections are made in response to specific stimuli. If enough stimulus isn't received then that neural connection does not develop (2 marks)
When virus enters the body, Such as the ones used in the article, what are the process's? Like antibody production etc.? i forgot quite a bit..

The critical window is a length of time shortly after birth when it is essential for light to stimulate both eyes and so all columns of cells in the visual cortex. If stimulation to both eyes isnt met in the critical period, the columns of cells in the visual cortex for the deprived eye will be smaller.
maybe... some thing like that? I'd put that anyway :P
Original post by tkoki1993
Periods of time in which vital neural connections are made in response to specific stimuli. If enough stimulus isn't received then that neural connection does not develop (2 marks)

yours sounds better than mine hehe :P

Hey, thanks!
I meant when they inserted the gene that codes for EPO using bacteria to produce EPO
yours sounds better than mine hehe :P

I have a strange ability to memorise Mark schemes and excerpts of the textbook. It's a tad :/
ok can someone summarise the non-obvious things from the article that we need to know

so far i got

-gene therapy
-recombinant bacteria (is this the same as GMO in the syllabus?)
-Adenoviruses?
-antibodies/myostatin

i dont even know where to start tbh, this is gonna be a long night
Reply 2638
Does anyone who has sat this exam before, know whether the predictions of article questions that have been floating around often do come up, or not?
Original post by VetApplicant2011
I think they mean when the vector inserts the genes into the target cell (the kidneys) it is effectively "attacking" the cell, which I guess it kinda is. But because its inserting good genes once it has "attacked" the cell, and doesnt have its own DNA anymore, it wont cause a negative effect??

ohhh yeahh :smile: yeah the kidney cells are the target cells youre right. and yeah, it wont cause a negative effect because its replication DNA is removed before it is inserted in to the cell :P

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending