The Student Room Group

Edexcel A2 Biology Unit 5 (6BIO5) - 22/06/2011- OFFICIAL THREAD !

Scroll to see replies

Original post by tkoki1993
I don't really remember this that well as it is unit 4 but here goes

The virus DNA is incorporated into the host DNA. The host cell then replicates it's own DNA as well as the virus DNA. That's all I can really remember

You mean Lysogenic pathway.
Original post by imaam
Can anyone describe the steps in UPP? and what does UPP do?

Is that the Uniquitin Proteosome Pathway or something?

I think it tags proteins that need to be destroyed in the cell?
Original post by imaam

This might sound like a stupid question but what is UPP?
Unit 5

2 Describe the structure of a muscle fibre and explain the structural and physiological differences between fast and slow twitch muscle fibres.

3 Explain the contraction of skeletal muscle in terms of the sliding filament theory, including the role of actin, myosin, troponin, tropomyosin, calcium ions (Ca2+), ATP and ATPase.

4 Recall the way in which muscles, tendons, the skeleton and ligaments interact to enable movement, including antagonistic muscle pairs, extensors and flexors.

12 Understand that cardiac muscle is myogenic and describe the normal electrical activity of the heart, including the roles of the sinoatrial node (SAN), the atrioventricular node (AVN) and the bundle of His, and how the use of electrocardiograms (ECGs) can aid the diagnosis of cardiovascular disease (CVD) and other heart conditions.

13 Explain how variations in ventilation and cardiac output enable rapid delivery of oxygen to tissues and the removal of carbon dioxide from them, including how the heart rate and ventilation rate are controlled and the roles of the cardiovascular control centre and the ventilation centre.

14 Describe how to investigate the effects of exercise on tidal volume and breathing rate using data from spirometer traces.

15 Explain the principle of negative feedback in maintaining systems within narrow limits.

16 Discuss the concept of homeostasis and its importance in maintaining the body in a state of dynamic equilibrium during exercise, including the role of the hypothalamus and the mechanisms of thermoregulation.

17 Explain how genes can be switched on and off by DNA transcription factors including hormones.

18 Analyse and interpret data on possible disadvantages of exercising too much (wear and tear on joints, suppression of the immune system) and exercising too little (increased risk of obesity, coronary heart disease (CHD) and diabetes), recognising correlation and causal relationships.

19 Explain how medical technology, including the use of keyhole surgery and prostheses, is enabling those with injuries and disabilities to participate in sports, eg cruciate ligaments repair using keyhole surgery and knee joint replacement using prosthetics.

20 Outline two ethical positions relating to whether the use of performance-enhancing substances by athletes is acceptable.

Unit 5

5 Describe the overall reaction of aerobic respiration as splitting of the respiratory substrate (eg glucose) to release carbon dioxide as a waste product and reuniting of hydrogen with atmospheric oxygen with the release of a large amount ofenergy.

6 Describe how to investigate rate of respiration practically.

7 Recall how phosphorylation of ADP requires energy and how hydrolysis of ATP provides an accessible supply of energy for biological processes.

8 Describe the roles of glycolysis in aerobic and anaerobic respiration, including the phosphorylation of hexoses, the production of ATP, reduced coenzyme and pyruvate acid (details of intermediate stages and compounds are notrequired).

9 Describe the role of the Krebs cycle in the complete oxidationof glucose and formation of carbon dioxide (CO2), ATP,reduced NAD and reduced FAD (names of other compounds are not required) and that respiration is a many-stepped process with each step controlled and catalysed by a specific intracellular enzyme.

10 Describe the synthesis of ATP by oxidative phosphorylation associated with the electron transport chain in mitochondria, including the role of chemiosmosis and ATPase.

11 Explain the fate of lactate after a period of anaerobic respiration in animals.

2 Describe how plants detect light using photoreceptors and how they respond to environmental cues.

8 Compare mechanisms of coordination in plants and animals, ie nervous and hormonal, including the role of IAA in phototropism (details of individual mammalian hormones are not required).

16 Discuss the moral and ethical issues relating to the use of animals in medical research from two ethical standpoints.

17 Explain how imbalances in certain, naturally occurring, brain chemicals can contribute to ill health (eg dopamine in Parkinson’s disease and serotonin in depression) and to the development of new drugs.

18 Explain the effects of drugs on synaptic transmissions, including the use of L-Dopa in the treatment of Parkinson’s disease and the action of MDMA in ecstasy.

19 Discuss how the outcomes of the Human Genome Project are being used in the development of new drugs and the social, moral and ethical issues this raises.

20 Describe how drugs can be produced using genetically modified organisms (plants and animals and micro organisms).

21 Discuss the risks and benefits associated with the use of
genetically modified organisms.

Unit 5

3 Describe the structure and function of sensory, relay and motor neurones including the role of Schwann cells and myelination.

4 Describe how a nerve impulse (action potential) is conducted along an axon including changes in membrane permeability to sodium and potassium ions and the role of the nodes of Ranvier.

5 Describe the structure and function of synapses, including the role of neurotransmitters, such as acetylcholine.

6 Describe how the nervous systems of organisms can detect stimuli with reference to rods in the retina of mammals, the roles of rhodopsin, opsin, retinal, sodium ions, cation channels and hyperpolarisation of rod cells in forming action potentials in the optic neurones.

7 Explain how the nervous systems of organisms can cause effectors to respond as exemplified by pupil dilation and contraction.

9 Locate and state the functions of the regions of the human brain’s cerebral hemispheres (ability to see, think, learn and feel emotions), hypothalamus (thermoregulate), cerebellum (coordinate movement) and medulla oblongata (control the heartbeat).

10 Describe the use of magnetic resonance imaging (MRI), functional magnetic resonance imaging (fMRI) and computed tomography (CT) scans in medical diagnosis and investigating brain structure and function.

11 Discuss whether there exists a critical ‘window’ within which humans must be exposed to particular stimuli if they are to develop their visual capacities to the full.

12 Describe the role animal models have played in developing explanations of human brain development and function, including Hubel and Wiesel’s experiments with monkeys and kittens.

13 Consider the methods used to compare the contributions of nature and nurture to brain development, including evidence from the abilities of newborn babies, animal experiments, studies of individuals with damaged brain areas, twin studies and cross-cultural studies.

14 Describe how animals, including humans, can learn by
habituation.

15 Describe how to investigate habituation to a stimulus.

YOU DONT KNOW THIS BY TONIGHT? YOU ARE IN POO

Its in the articlem, ubitiquin somethign something
Original post by darkiee
LOOL some Nigerian Luck, I am Nigerian, this made me LOL

Some 419 luck. I'm a Nigerian prince actually. Can I have your bank details so I can transfer my 100000000 million inheritance to it? :cool:
Original post by darkiee
You mean Lysogenic pathway.

Yeah! That's it:biggrin:
Reply 2666
WTF EDEXCEL ... between topics 7 and 8, there is soooooo much to remember. Doing well in this does not show intelligence, it shows memory... I don't get why they just wanna see who has the best memory.
Original post by Adam9
WTF EDEXCEL ... between topics 7 and 8, there is soooooo much to remember. Doing well in this does not show intelligence, it shows memory... I don't get why they just wanna see who has the best memory.

Stop moaning and get on with your revision,
Original post by darkiee
Its in the articlem, ubitiquin somethign something

Well I clearly don't know the article that well :s-smilie:
Reply 2669
Original post by imaam

It's a pathway that basically breaks down protein in to constituent components, ie amino acids.

It works by the following:
1- Ubiquitin labels the protein that needs that needs to be broken down by binding to it.
2- Then the Ubiquitin protein complex binds to proteosomes
3- The polypeptide protein chain starts to unfold and passes into the proteosomes
4- The Ubiquitin is released
5- The polypeptide is hydrolysed into peptides and amino acids.

If this occurs in muscle this would essentially break down the muscle, causing the patient to become weaker and weaker.
Some 419 luck. I'm a Nigerian prince actually. Can I have your bank details so I can transfer my 100000000 million inheritance to it? :cool:

LOOL, you egghead, I am a king and I have gold just send £500000 part payment and you should recieve it in the post in couple of days, Transfer 1st though
Original post by Adam9

I know! it's so unfair...I have such a bad memory:frown:
Anyone made a summary of the article? If so, please share :biggrin:
Very VITAL QUESTION

FOR THE ARTICLE QUESTION, WHAT ARE THE QUESTION STYLE? IS IT LIKE COMPREHENSION LOOL OR SOME STUPID SUGGEST THINGS?
Reply 2674

It is the Ubiquitin-Proteasome Pathway. In the article, page 7 para 6...
I just dont get what it does. Does the UPP add destroy me labels on muscle proteins and is that it?
What does it mean when it says "tagged proteins are fed into the proteasome" - wats the proteasome?
Original post by CHemgeo
It's a pathway that basically breaks down protein in to constituent components, ie amino acids.

It works by the following:
1- Ubiquitin labels the protein that needs that needs to be broken down by binding to it.
2- Then the Ubiquitin protein complex binds to proteosomes
3- The polypeptide protein chain starts to unfold and passes into the proteosomes
4- The Ubiquitin is released
5- The polypeptide is hydrolysed into peptides and amino acids.

If this occurs in muscle this would essentially break down the muscle, causing the patient to become weaker and weaker.

Was that all in the article?? Or did you do extra research?
Original post by darkiee
LOOL, you egghead, I am a king and I have gold just send £500000 part payment and you should recieve it in the post in couple of days, Transfer 1st though

I can tell you're 419 because you should be dead. I'm the prince trying to get my inheritance. Why won't you give me my inheritance?!?!?

This is slowly turning into the plot of a crappy nigerian movie.....
Original post by sheep_go_baa
Was that all in the article?? Or did you do extra research?

He or she must have done research
Reply 2678
Original post by darkiee
Very VITAL QUESTION

FOR THE ARTICLE QUESTION, WHAT ARE THE QUESTION STYLE? IS IT LIKE COMPREHENSION LOOL OR SOME STUPID SUGGEST THINGS?

It's application of the article so it'll be like all the other questions we get where we get a like an intro with a question but this time your intro is 11 pages :smile:
I can tell you're 419 because you should be dead. I'm the prince trying to get my inheritance. Why won't you give me my inheritance?!?!?

This is slowly turning into the plot of a crappy nigerian movie.....

I am not dead, your stepmother lied to you, I travelled to South africa when she treid poisoned me HAHAHA

LOOL YES IT IS

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending