The Student Room Group

Edexcel A2 Biology Unit 5 (6BIO5) - 22/06/2011- OFFICIAL THREAD !

Scroll to see replies

Reply 2680
Original post by sheep_go_baa
Was that all in the article?? Or did you do extra research?

I asked what it was before cos I had NOOOO idea and then some kind person on the student room shared their info :smile:

I don't remember any of it but i hope to by tomorrow :biggrin:
Reply 2681
Original post by CHemgeo
It's a pathway that basically breaks down protein in to constituent components, ie amino acids.

It works by the following:
1- Ubiquitin labels the protein that needs that needs to be broken down by binding to it.
2- Then the Ubiquitin protein complex binds to proteosomes
3- The polypeptide protein chain starts to unfold and passes into the proteosomes
4- The Ubiquitin is released
5- The polypeptide is hydrolysed into peptides and amino acids.

If this occurs in muscle this would essentially break down the muscle, causing the patient to become weaker and weaker.

Ahh yes thanks!!

So basically, is the main role of UPP to break down muscle proteins (actin and myosin) to cause atrophy?
Reply 2682
Original post by imaam
Ahh yes thanks!!

So basically, is the main role of UPP to break down muscle proteins (actin and myosin) to cause atrophy?

yupp enjoy watch it not even come up tomorrow :P
Reply 2683
What is the role of RNA interferon, anyone?

What is FOXO what does it do???? (All i know is that FOXO is a transcription factor - but for what?)
I AM NOT BEING EVIL,

BUT I CAN BET 70% of what we learnt about the article might not come out tomorow LOOOL
Original post by darkiee
I am not dead, your stepmother lied to you, I travelled to South africa when she treid poisoned me HAHAHA

LOOL YES IT IS

Nah lie oh!!!!
Some one goes to a juju man which then somehow results innme foaming in the mouth :confused:

And here's the bit at the end
"in god we trust"
WATCH OUT FOR PART TWO!!!
Original post by imaam

Original post by imaam
What is the role of RNA interferon, anyone?

What is FOXO what does it do???? (All i know is that FOXO is a transcription factor - but for what?)

not too sure about RNA Interferon. However FOXO is a transcription factor that, if i read correctly, activates the synthesis of the gene that promotes muscle atrophy so breakdown of muscle, what they're trying to do is inhibit the production of FOXO as to prevent muscle atrophy particularly in times of sedentary activity i.e. on a spaceflight to Mars.
Am I the only that feels not prepared even though i've revised quite alot!?!?
Reply 2688
i need to get full marks in the first part coz i know im gonna flop the 2nd part... :frown:
Reply 2689
Original post by patrick93

I feel the same! It's driving me mad the more i read the more i forget and the less i read the more i think i don't know...vicious cycle :frown:
Reply 2690
Hey, the things I have made notes on/revised for the article are:

1.Gene therapy
2. Viruses
3. Protein synthesis
4. Clinical trials
5. Brief notes on heart problems
6. performance enhancing drugs - ethical issues ect.

What else should I look over?
Thanks in advnce :smile:
Original post by patrick93

I have revised a lot too and i feel unprepared, the article is scaring me and I can bet my house on synapse coming out tomorow dno why
Original post by CHemgeo
I feel the same! It's driving me mad the more i read the more i forget and the less i read the more i think i don't know...vicious cycle :frown:

Exactly how i feel
Reply 2693
So basically disabling FOXO leads to NO atrophy.
Does FOXO turn on and off atrogenes (genes that cause atrophy)?
What i dont get is why is it that IGF-1 and insulin surpress (disable) FOXO - cant FOXO already just turn off the atrogene to prevent atrophy? Isnt this what its supposed to do as its a transcription factor?

I HATE this bloody article!!
Original post by imaam

Original post by imaam
So basically disabling FOXO leads to NO atrophy.
Does FOXO turn on and off atrogenes (genes that cause atrophy)?
What i dont get is why is it that IGF-1 and insulin surpress (disable) FOXO - cant FOXO already just turn off the atrogene to prevent atrophy? Isnt this what its supposed to do as its a transcription factor?

I HATE this bloody article!!

Me and you both
a transcription factor turns on or off genes FOXO, turns ON atrogenes causing atrophy in skeletal muscles so blocking foxo prevents atrophy
Original post by CHemgeo

Would you go as far as saying it's a positive feedback mechanism? :rolleyes:
Reply 2696
please does* anybody have any extra questions on either of the topics???
Reply 2697
Original post by ballroomboy
Me and you both
a transcription factor turns on or off genes FOXO, turns ON atrogenes causing atrophy in skeletal muscles so blocking foxo prevents atrophy

Ohhhhhhh thanks for putting it so simply lool.

Do you know what antibody therapy is? can anyone outline the steps of it? Is it similar to gene therapy??
Reply 2698
Original post by tkoki1993
Would you go as far as saying it's a positive feedback mechanism? :rolleyes:

ahh in all this bio revision and isolation from the rest of the world you have no idea how much that made me laugh XD

I seriously need to get out more :biggrin:
Ahhh I'm tired, going to bed now
Good luck guys and extra special Nigerian luck to anyone who wants it :wink:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending