The Student Room Group

Edexcel A2 Biology Unit 5 (6BIO5) - 22/06/2011- OFFICIAL THREAD !

Scroll to see replies

Original post by gildartz
:confused:
I thought recombinant bacteria had nothing to do with altering the human cell DNA, you're probably thinking about gene therapy and using viral vectors

it doesnt :/
Im off to bed now guys. Goood luccckk!!! Here's a little (arguably) comic relief related to biology :biggrin:

Reply 2722
Yer, recombinant bacteria is basically the GMO stuff...
Original post by darkiee
mUCH APPRECIATED :d

De rien :biggrin: n.p :biggrin:
Reply 2724
when are we alowed to discuss post exam? :biggrin:
Original post by Meesta

because it's a morning edexcel exam, we can talk about it from midnight ie thursday 00:01 kinda thing x
ok now im getting nervous. still havent finished topic 8, still havent looked at the article, aiming for an A*
Reply 2727
Original post by nikki_aiyana
because it's a morning edexcel exam, we can talk about it from midnight ie thursday 00:01 kinda thing x

ahhh nice :biggrin:
Reply 2728
Original post by bertstare
ok now im getting nervous. still havent finished topic 8, still havent looked at the article, aiming for an A*

i think everyone is NERVE-ous :colone:
Original post by Meesta

For Edexcel: morning exams may not be discussed until 12:00 midnight (BST)
Reply 2730
Well thats the article done for me! I hope epo questions come up and like the risks of epo and all that, that seems easiest. Now just gonna go over revision guide...
someone help me please...mantyrantas abnormal genes
-Ok has he got abnormal gene in the kidney cells that keep making more epo? Or
abnormal genes that code for the EPO receptor in the bone marrow cells? the epo receptors always turned on, so epo circulating activates red blood cell production so never switching off?
Which one is it? Help meeeee please...im confused
1)epo constantly being made by mutation in the kidney cells or the receptors in the cells of bone marrow?
Reply 2732
Original post by ballroomboy
Me and you both
a transcription factor turns on or off genes FOXO, turns ON atrogenes causing atrophy in skeletal muscles so blocking foxo prevents atrophy

Did someone shout on me?
Hey all, just a quick post to seek some advice for answering Question 7...

I've not actually done any past papers on Unit 5 - I'm doing June 2010 shortly, but I'm not going to have time to read the article and do the questions relating to it. I've read through the questions, and looked at the mark scheme, so I've got an idea of what to expect.

However, I just want some advice on ways to go about answering these bigger questions. Obviously, a 7 mark question is quite intimidating, so I just want some advice as to how to go about these questions. Especially when referring to the article. Is using quotes and statistics from the article advisable? I need to pick up some marks here, so any help will be greatly appreciated!

same aha were so going to fail xD
Original post by hey-hey-hey
someone help me please...mantyrantas abnormal genes
-Ok has he got abnormal gene in the kidney cells that keep making more epo? Or
abnormal genes that code for the EPO receptor in the bone marrow cells? the epo receptors always turned on, so epo circulating activates red blood cell production so never switching off?
Which one is it? Help meeeee please...im confused
1)epo constantly being made by mutation in the kidney cells or the receptors in the cells of bone marrow?

Its the feedback mechanism thats not present.. so the body doesnt realise that theres enough EPO there already, so it just keeps pumping them outtt :smile:
can someone explain how epo works?

ok so peptide hormones in general bind to receptions, causes adenyl cyclase release, causes ATP to cyclic AMP which then activates transcription factors

but for Epo, does this happen to bone marrow cells? this is what i dont get. and surely red blood cells cant just be produced from another cell, they happen through stem cell differation right? so how does epo cause this?
Original post by VetApplicant2011
same aha were so going to fail xD

iF YOU SAY YOU WILL FAIL, then SURE YOU WILL FAIL.
I am soooooooooo worried :frown: good luck guys! xx
can someone explain how epo works?

ok so peptide hormones in general bind to receptions, causes adenyl cyclase release, causes ATP to cyclic AMP which then activates transcription factors

but for Epo, does this happen to bone marrow cells? this is what i dont get. and surely red blood cells cant just be produced from another cell, they happen through stem cell differation right? so how does epo cause this?

wut O_o

please explain everything you just said to me? pleasepleaseplease? God Im so ****ed

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending