The Student Room Group

Edexcel A2 Biology Unit 5 (6BIO5) - 22/06/2011- OFFICIAL THREAD !

Scroll to see replies

Original post by darkiee
iF YOU SAY YOU WILL FAIL, then SURE YOU WILL FAIL.

Ah, cheers for that optimistic and enlightening comment ol' chap :smile:
Original post by VetApplicant2011
Ah, cheers for that optimistic and enlightening comment ol' chap :smile:

LOOL, I am very scared and nervous, but I aint saying I am gonna fail ,encourage yourself
Reply 2742
Original post by darkiee

Original post by darkiee
LOOL, I am very scared and nervous, but I aint saying I am gonna fail ,encourage yourself

darkie thank you
Name three factors which could be obtained from food to produce haemoglobin

anyone?

Its the feedback mechanism thats not present.. so the body doesnt realise that theres enough EPO there already, so it just keeps pumping them outtt :smile:

Ohh ok so, when they talk abou the muation being in the receptor that produces the receptor for EPO 1st line, Does his mutation prevent the receptors from shutting down, when the negative feeback system thing is at work? System is trying to shut it down (red blood cell production) but because of his mutation it cant...?
:/
Reply 2745
Good luck everyone! :biggrin: Just thought I would pop on here before going to bed, and it's quite reassuring to see im not the only one stressing a wee bit over this! But if you go in with a calm attitude, rather than ahhhh I'm going to fail, normally you'll do just fine! This is my last exam as well, so the sooner it's over and done with, the sooner summer begins! G'night!
wut O_o

please explain everything you just said to me? pleasepleaseplease? God Im so ****ed

erythropoetin, the hormone they talk about in the article which causes more blood cells to be produced. i cant figure out how it works lol
oh fuk me everyones gone to bed
Original post by bertstare

erythropoetin, the hormone they talk about in the article which causes more blood cells to be produced. i cant figure out how it works lol

im stuck on that too.
Original post by TheTomD

Original post by TheTomD
I think the midbrain transmits information between the two cerebral hemispheres whilst the thalamus 're-routes' incoming sensory information.

Hi

Look at attached pic

The end result is the genes are switched on which produce enzymes responsible for the production of red blood cells. Hope this helps
Reply 2751

in short, EPO is a peptide hormone naturally produced in the body. (also manufactured artificially). it binds to specific receptors on its target cells which converts ATP into cAMP (a secondary messenger). cAMP activates transcription factors and switch the gene for red blood cell production on. hence the RBC count goes up.
(edited 12 years ago)
Hey people what is the correct scienitifc word for 'taxicap'used in the article page 3??????
Reply 2753
Original post by hey-hey-hey
im stuck on that too.

basically epo is a hormone , it reaches specific cells as u already know. these stem cells located in the bone marrow.
the epo is basically like a transcription factor, either it binds to the cell membrane activating a secondary molecule inside the cell, this activated molecule is a transcription factor in the production of Red blood cells.

more epo means more protien synthesis of RBC's
Reply 2754
Original post by Maria1234
Hey people what is the correct scienitifc word for 'taxicap'used in the article page 3??????

Vector.
Original post by Maria1234

I think it's just a metaphor for adenoviruses and adeno-associated viruses.
I haven't read the article yet but is the article in itself useless? Eg) is their information on the article we don't already know?
What do you mean by “micro tears” of muscles?
Original post by SAF1234
basically epo is a hormone , it reaches specific cells as u already know. these stem cells located in the bone marrow.
the epo is basically like a transcription factor, either it binds to the cell membrane activating a secondary molecule inside the cell, this activated molecule is a transcription factor in the production of Red blood cells.

more epo means more protien synthesis of RBC's

i get this

but epo causes this in BONE marrow cells. not just any old cells. is the process the same? maybe im just looking into it too much
Reply 2759
Original post by mobius323
Hey all, just a quick post to seek some advice for answering Question 7...

I've not actually done any past papers on Unit 5 - I'm doing June 2010 shortly, but I'm not going to have time to read the article and do the questions relating to it. I've read through the questions, and looked at the mark scheme, so I've got an idea of what to expect.

However, I just want some advice on ways to go about answering these bigger questions. Obviously, a 7 mark question is quite intimidating, so I just want some advice as to how to go about these questions. Especially when referring to the article. Is using quotes and statistics from the article advisable? I need to pick up some marks here, so any help will be greatly appreciated!

big mark questions , always state values , trends etc.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending