The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Facticity
I just tried finding some of you ....I'm confused - how do you find people just by their name and uni? Let alone without their first name :s-smilie:

Or maybe I'm just really bad at this whole fb stalking thing :sad:

I found Lantana without having either her name or uni to begin with!
Original post by dreiviergrenadier

I found Lantana without having either her name or uni to begin with!

How?! I gave up after like 10 minutes, I'm just not cut out for the stalker life, its just not a virtue I have :no:
Reply 4782
How?! I gave up after like 10 minutes, I'm just not cut out for the stalker life, its just not a virtue I have :no:

Same, I'm terrible at facebook stalking...

I think I would have been reasonably anonymous, at least, had I not given out my name. :p:
Reply 4783

Search for her first name and university. She'll appear near the top. If you don't know someone's uni, a quick check of their post history will normally do it.
In some cases, facebook stalking isn't necessary, as other means are sufficient... :tongue:
Original post by meatball893
Really? All I've given is first name, uni, college, subject. Sounds a lot, but if I had the same info for, say, someone at Cambridge, I doubt I'd find them. Is a simple facebook search really enough? And how can you be sure it's me you've found? [Edit: Ah yes, I'd forgotten about that :tongue: ]

Being at Cambridge would make it a bit harder, because Nexus makes it very easy to find other Oxford students. Given your uni, first name and college, I narrowed it down to about 5 people in a minute. And then a few minutes with Google did the rest. You did make it easy though - you have quite a lot of information available to non-friends on Facebook, so I can see, for example, your friends [I assume!] calling you 'Meatball', which confirms it quite nicely, even without the URL!

But with someone like Polarity (I had a go at finding him, because he suggested he was hard to find), I have a few people that seem to fit, but because the profiles don't show any information, I have no way of comfirming any of them easily.
Reply 4786
Original post by wind-swept
In some cases, facebook stalking isn't necessary, as other means are sufficient... :tongue:

That sounds slightly ominous ...
Original post by d123
That sounds slightly ominous ...

:ninja:

As in looking at post + sig and having to go no further...

I'm not just sticking to Facebook. I'm stalking you guys all over the interwebz :colone:

Original post by marille

I think I would have been reasonably anonymous, at least, had I not given out my name. :p:

Not so, I still would have known your uni, subject, age, religious views, which would be enough to make a solid start, if not get all the way.
Original post by marille

:five:

I'd be impressed if someone finds me with only Michael to go on :tongue:

Original post by d123
Search for her first name and university. She'll appear near the top. If you don't know someone's uni, a quick check of their post history will normally do it.

But how do you know if its them or not? If I typed in "debbie glasgow uni" will you appear near the top? And I'm sure there is more than 1 debbie at glasgow uni :s-smilie:

EDIT: What if people hide their extra info?
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by d123
It's impossible! I don't know enough about you yet. I'm determined to find you though.

I think there probably is enough information about me out there to track me down, I'll see if I can stalk myself, and let you know :tongue:
Hey guys, so how is everyone? I've decided to post something when i'm not so glum and down :biggrin:
Original post by LoveLoveLove16

Original post by LoveLoveLove16
Hey guys, so how is everyone? I've decided to post something when i'm not so glum and down :biggrin:

Errm probably not what the Soc was created for, but apparently, everyone is trying to facebook stalk everyone else :yes:
But how do you know if its them or not? If I typed in "debbie glasgow uni" will you appear near the top? And I'm sure there is more than 1 debbie at glasgow uni :s-smilie:

EDIT: What if people hide their extra info?

She's given her surname out on TSR too, that would probably help you. I can see her Twitter, Myspace and Facebook...
Being at Cambridge would make it a bit harder, because Nexus makes it very easy to find other Oxford students. Given your uni, first name and college, I narrowed it down to about 5 people in a minute. And then a few minutes with Google did the rest. You did make it easy though - you have quite a lot of information available to non-friends on Facebook, so I can see, for example, your friends [I assume!] calling you 'Meatball', which confirms it quite nicely, even without the URL!

ahh.... nexus search... if I decide I want to contact someone, there's no escape... :tongue:
I think I am pretty easy to locate!
Reply 4796
She's given her surname out on TSR too, that would probably help you. I can see her Twitter, Myspace and Facebook...

Really? Oh dear, I'd forgotten I'd done that.

I haven't used myspace for ages, but as you can probably tell from twitter/facebook, my internet use is slightly higher than the average person.
Found marille (no mutual friends) and I think I've found TLG (1 mutual friend who was a good few years above me at school but I knew through CU)

But surely I'd have to troll through all her posts to find it? Stalking is a much longer and tiresome job than I originally thought it to be :sigh:
But surely I'd have to troll through all her posts to find it? Stalking is a much longer and tiresome job than I originally thought it to be :sigh:

I thought I'd found you...but I don't think I have...but I narrowed it down to two michael's...neither are quite right tho!

Latest