The Student Room Group

Nee-Naw-Nee-Naw! Food Crimes we Cannot Abide!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 540
Food crime I witnessed today? Mum made Super Noodles (or, supermarket-brand equivalent) and chucked the flavour powder away.

Yes, she had salt-and-pepper flavoured Super Noodles.
Original post by TotoMimo
Food crime I witnessed today? Mum made Super Noodles (or, supermarket-brand equivalent) and chucked the flavour powder away.

Yes, she had salt-and-pepper flavoured Super Noodles.

Noooooooooooooooo. Surely not! From what I remember the only tolerable part of having Super Noodles full stop was the little clumps of flavour powder!
People who don't like the bowl out after making cake
Overcooking steak
Letting the milk sink in to cornflakes/frosties so they're not nice and crunchy (always eat mean really fast, i hate the sogggy mess they turn into)
Reply 543
Original post by amateur_soldier
People who don't like the bowl out after making cake
Overcooking steak
Letting the milk sink in to cornflakes/frosties so they're not nice and crunchy (always eat mean really fast, i hate the sogggy mess they turn into)

I have mates that let their cereal go minging and soggy before eating. You can hear it "squelch" whilst they eat it. Needless to say, it distresses me no end :biggrin:
I have mates that let their cereal go minging and soggy before eating. You can hear it "squelch" whilst they eat it. Needless to say, it distresses me no end :biggrin:

My bf leaves his cereal for literally 20 mins with milk on and then eats the pulpy mess. He also drinks the remaining milk from the bowl :yucky:

My sister won't eat any sauces or remotely "wet" foods - none at all! No gravy with a roast, no chilli con carne, lasagne, casseroles or curries. She has plain pasta with cheddar grated over the top :frown:
Reply 545
Serving KFC
Reply 546
TotoMimo
x

I absolutely loathe pineapple on pizza. Now, I don't like ham very much as it is, so that's instantly putting me at a disadvantage. Despite this, I enjoy both elements on their own, or in a combination of tastes that actually suits the palate. The sickly sweetness of the pineapple just doesn't work. :nooo: One of the main reasons it gets on my nerves, though, is that so many people seem to like it. Half of these people, when consulting a pizza takeaway menu with them, instantly opt for this as a topping. About the only topping I hate. I suppose this combination of flavours is the reason I don't care for sweet'n'sour, too.

In terms of ketchup, I'm less of a purist. I can understand why people don't like seeing the finest gourmet ingredients doused in a puddle of it, especially when it doesn't even go with what they're eating (i.e. vegetables), but I can come to terms with someone who's palate doesn't differentiate between subtle flavours and feels in their comfort zone when they opt for the familiar taste of tomatoey warmness.

My own personal "food crime", however, is the use of cream on all deserts. Sometimes, a nice bit of cream, artfully arranged alongside ice cream and a chocolate gateau (or similar), is perfection. :coma: It's not really balls of thick cream that I have the problem with, though. My issue is with pouring cream. Why must it be put on everything? What annoys me, more than anything else about the use of cream, is that I'm regarded as the strange one for not having it on my dessert. If I have a fruit salad, I want to taste the individual flavours of fruit, not a blanket taste of cream; which is a boring flavour as it is.

The other food crime, to me anyway, is mayonnaise. Now, I know, I know, just about everyone seems to love smothering salads and sandwiches with it, but I just don't like it. I don't like the texture and I don't like the flavour. I love tuna, but I hate tuna mayonnaise. I enjoy a nice salad, but I don't enjoy a gloppy, mayonnaise-drenched, salad. It's worst when someone makes you sandwiches, or you buy them from a shop. Not only is it in there, but it's in there so thickly! People take great relish in telling me how they've given me extra mayonnaise, while I sit with the bite lodged in my mouth, lips trembling, eyes watering and try and force out a smile. At least shop bought sandwiches have started introducing "no mayonnaise" sandwiches now. The downside is that they're in flavours noone would ever want, or that's the case for the ones I've encountered, anyway.
Original post by zjs
I absolutely loathe pineapple on pizza. Now, I don't like ham very much as it is, so that's instantly putting me at a disadvantage. Despite this, I enjoy both elements on their own, or in a combination of tastes that actually suits the palate. The sickly sweetness of the pineapple just doesn't work. :nooo: One of the main reasons it gets on my nerves, though, is that so many people seem to like it. Half of these people, when consulting a pizza takeaway menu with them, instantly opt for this as a topping. About the only topping I hate. I suppose this combination of flavours is the reason I don't care for sweet'n'sour, too.

My own personal "food crime", however, is the use of cream on all deserts. Sometimes, a nice bit of cream, artfully arranged alongside ice cream and a chocolate gateau (or similar), is perfection. :coma: It's not really balls of thick cream that I have the problem with, though. My issue is with pouring cream. Why must it be put on everything? What annoys me, more than anything else about the use of cream, is that I'm regarded as the strange one for not having it on my dessert. If I have a fruit salad, I want to taste the individual flavours of fruit, not a blanket taste of cream; which is a boring flavour as it is.

:lolwut: But to most people pineapple isn't 'sickly sweet'... that's the point of pineapple and ham pizza, the pineapple has a slight sharpness to it which contrasts well with the slight salty meatiness of the ham and the taste of the cheese. If you'd said tinned peaches then you'd have a point - now that would be sickly sweet to have on a pizza. But pineapple is too tangy and sharp to be considered that at all.

I love having cream on fruit salad. I still taste all the fruit very well, but I get the extra taste and texture of the cream into the bargain, which I love. And strawberries with sugar and pouring cream is heaven on earth, especially on a summer's day.
Original post by zjs
Quite why you needed to give me your opinion on the matter as some sort of rebuttal to my opinion is beyond me.

You were making out that anyone who liked such a combination must be deluded or something, so I was just pointing out that to the vast majority of people the combination works very well indeed, and isn't 'sickly sweet' at all.
Reply 549
Original post by FormerlyHistoryStudent
You were making out that anyone who liked such a combination must be deluded or something, so I was just pointing out that to the vast majority of people the combination works very well indeed, and isn't 'sickly sweet' at all.

No, I wasn't. I was pointing out it didn't work as a combination, in my opinion. Given that the entire post was written in my opinion, I didn't think I needed to state it explicitly at that point.

Yes, in your opinion the combination "works very well", but that hardly counteracts my point that I don't believe it does. The sickly sweetness was me referring to TotoMimo's post and agreeing with his analysis of pineapple in relation to something savoury.
Original post by zjs
No, I wasn't. I was pointing out it didn't work as a combination, in my opinion. Given that the entire post was written in my opinion, I didn't think I needed to state it explicitly at that point.

Yes, in your opinion the combination "works very well", but that hardly counteracts my point that I don't believe it does. The sickly sweetness was me referring to TotoMimo's post and agreeing with his analysis of pineapple in relation to something savoury.

Yeah, but it was the general tone of your post that I didn't like. It's all very well saying you don't personally like something, but there's no need to make out that anyone who doesn't share your opinion is flat-out wrong. Plus my point was that it's not just my opinion but the majority's, so there must be merit in the combo.
Reply 551
Yeah, but it was the general tone of your post that I didn't like. It's all very well saying you don't personally like something, but there's no need to make out that anyone who doesn't share your opinion is flat-out wrong. Plus my point was that it's not just my opinion but the majority's, so there must be merit in the combo.

I'm honestly mystified by you. I agreed with the OP, TotoMimo, that pineapple and ham isn't a good topping for pizza and doesn't work. That's my personal opinion, as it was his. It is, after all, the point of the thread to point out "food crimes". By its very nature, this means pointing out - from a personal perspective - 'mistakes' others make with certain food choices.

So? The opinion of the majority does not represent fact. The majority of the world once believed the earth was flat; that doesn't make them correct.
Throwing out the yogurt lid when it still has yogurt on it, there's nothing wrong with licking every last molecule of yogurt off it!!
Original post by zjs
I'm honestly mystified by you. I agreed with the OP, TotoMimo, that pineapple and ham isn't a good topping for pizza and doesn't work. That's my personal opinion, as it was his. It is, after all, the point of the thread to point out "food crimes". By its very nature, this means pointing out - from a personal perspective - 'mistakes' others make with certain food choices.

So? The opinion of the majority does not represent fact. The majority of the world once believed the earth was flat; that doesn't make them correct.

And I'm mystified by you. It's obvious that if you go on and on about how sickly and horrible it is, then by default you're indicating that everyone who doesn't share your opinion has no taste and you're superior to them. I don't like it, that's all, which is why I responded in the first place. Most people on this thread gave their opinions without giving across this attitude, which is why I didn't respond to them even if I disagreed with them.

There's no comparison between the flatness of the earth and the tartness of pineapple, which is something the majority of people who have eaten it have physically experienced.
Calm down dears, Haw-i-am sure there need not be a war over a pizza topping. If you wanna start on something, let's all start on people that order pizza toppings they KNOW they don't like and sit there picking it all off. Waste, now that's a bug bear.
-

Only on TSR
Original post by zjs
:facepalm2:. I didn't go "on and on about how sickly and horrible is". I mentioned that it was sickly sweet. Once. I never implied anyone else had no taste, I just agreed that pineapple and ham isn't a good combination. Quite why you've taken a flavour of pizza topping to heart to this extent, I don't know.

It's an analogy. The salient point is that people's opinions are opinions. You cannot imply fact from them, even if the majority hold this opinion to be true.

You said that you loathe it and that it doesn't work and that it annoys you when other people order it - why would that annoy you, if like you said here you know it's just their personal opinion? As I said, to me your post gave off a certain air of superiority over them and other people who like the combo - that's what annoyed me, plus the fact that to me your opinion is just so wrong, I just had to respond even though yes, I did actually realise that technically it was just your opinion.

But anyway, let's call it quits. I know you didn't set out to annoy anyone and I can't be bothered to go on about it any more. Have you ever been to Brazil? You wouldn't enjoy a lot of the pizza options there - they love all sorts of toppings which most people here would baulk at. Chocolate, peaches, and exotic fruits we wouldn't dream of having on pizza here :tongue:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 557
Original post by thru sun and rain
yes may be so, but ketchup and baked beans are very similar, My brother also refuses to eat any veg except from carrots. Not only that but I made a meal once, didn't tell him what was in it (chopped tomatoes) and he was saying it was very good and he had nearly finished it all before someone told him that there was tomatoes in it and then he refused to touch it saying it was disgusting.

tomato is a fruit.

http://oxforddictionaries.com/page/tomatofruitveg
Reply 558
My dad loves to turn any dessert, even ones with pastry or crumble topping designed to be deliciously crunchy, into a disgusting soup with an abhorrent volume of pouring cream. This is akin to making soupy porridge with Weetabix.
Reply 559
My dad loves to turn any dessert, even ones with pastry or crumble topping designed to be deliciously crunchy, into a disgusting soup with an abhorrent volume of pouring cream. This is akin to making soupy porridge with Weetabix.

One of my flatmates in university used to do this with chocolate weetabix.

AND THEN PUT IT INTO THE MICROWAVE.

... I.. just didn't know how to react...

Quick Reply

Latest