The Student Room Group

AQA ICT Info 3 Pre Release June 2011

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Jasmin11
I still don't get what the benefits of enhancing a legacy system opposed to a new system are?? :s-smilie:

you can argue this two ways...
it is beneficial as they wont need to produce more hardware which is a high carbon producing process (so less initial carbon emission will be let off if you stick with legacy systems)

but it isnt benefical
as the equipment will start getting old and dated, and may consume more energy than energy effiecent hardware thus it wont be more beneficial

^^ that is ofcourse talking in the environmental sense :P x
Reply 301
in response to the bespoke software i think its got something to do with the possibility of the organisations inflexibility to change hardware. because they rely on the bespoke software which isnt likely to be compatible with new hardware. hence they are stuck using inefficient equitment.
Reply 302
Original post by Nicola.Garner

Original post by Nicola.Garner
you can argue this two ways...
it is beneficial as they wont need to produce more hardware which is a high carbon producing process (so less initial carbon emission will be let off if you stick with legacy systems)

but it isnt benefical
as the equipment will start getting old and dated, and may consume more energy than energy effiecent hardware thus it wont be more beneficial

^^ that is ofcourse talking in the environmental sense :P x

by enhancing legacy systems small or large orgnisations do not need to spend large amounts of money by buying a new system. you can relate to how enviromental affairs are not the most important concerns for companies as the recision in order and that companies are trying to survive.
Reply 303
Original post by thairshan

one question could also be what are the operational/strategic/tactical decisions in which organisations change in order to improve the enviroment

operational includes the following
making sure computers are off
computer screen savers should use less power consumption
employees should preview their work before printing
rather than disposing old computers/pc upgrade eg RAM/hard disk

Tactical include the following;
rycle paper/pcs and consumables

Strategic include the following
when purchising computers make sure they consume less power/elcetricity
CIS AND MIS systems should produce reports of carbon foot print and overall performance of firm. this should help managers decide on they should do next.
Original post by tt123

Original post by tt123
anyone got a good general definition for an ICT policy?

An ICT policy a deliberate plan of action to achieve certain desirale goals or outcomes. Polices are the fine details of a strategy and set out how a strategy which is the overall direction a business should be going in, would be put into operation.

Hope this helps :smile:
ohh i feel like crying as im just about to start revising for this, and i know nothing and everyone else knows everything. arhhh
Reply 306
Original post by smilelikeyoumeanit
ohh i feel like crying as im just about to start revising for this, and i know nothing and everyone else knows everything. arhhh

then i suggest you, worry less and focus on exam. Its only wasting valuable time.
Original post by sam6666

Original post by sam6666
then i suggest you, worry less and focus on exam. Its only wasting valuable time.

good advice, so what do you think we should focus on up until the exam?
heyyyyy everyone...
soo umm.. i really dnt like the legislation bit of info 3..
How would you approach this question?? i mean wat wud be the main points.. and explaination bits.. :s-smilie:

Discuss the implications of current legislation on ICT policies and how the legislation will impact on procedures within organisations. (20 marks)
Reply 309

what the helpful notes!!:smile::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::smile: but do you have the answers for the possible questions part? as i struggle in some of them :

5. How do articles A and B differ in their views? (6 marks):confused:
9. It is suggested that legislation should be changed to create a greener future, what could be changed? (6 marks):confused:
2. Decisions are normally made in 3 levels, operational, tactical and Strategic. Give an example of a decision that could be made at each level to increase a company’s green credentials. (3 marks):confused:

HELP

Goooooooddd luCkkkkkkkkkkk tO all of uS..:biggrin::colondollar::colone:
Reply 310
Original post by smilelikeyoumeanit

There's no time to stress, just get down to it and focus :smile:

Original post by LadyElectra
heyyyyy everyone...
How would you approach this question?? i mean wat wud be the main points.. and explaination bits.. :s-smilie:

Discuss the implications of current legislation on ICT policies and how the legislation will impact on procedures within organisations. (20 marks)

Data Protection Act Policies
- Don't put personal data on a memory stick (can be lost)
- Ensure that data is backed up on a regular basis.
- Register the data use with the data commissioners office.
- Ensure you have a firewall as well as an antivirus.

Computer Misuse Act:
- Do not allow people to download software as it can introduce viruses.
- Ban on unauthorized usage of the computer (i.e. facebook and such)
- Passwords so people can't access unauthorized data
- this password should not be shared and computers should not be left on unattended.

Copyright, Design and Patents Act.
- blocking sites offering illegal free downloads.
- Ban on installation of illegal software.
- Ensuring that company has the right amount of software with reflection to the amount of licences.
- Ban on sharing music at work.

Health and Safety at work.
- Staff should have regular breaks.
- Staff's eye tests are paid for.
- Staff have training to ensure they know how to stay safe.
- Regular checks in offices etc.

Okay, so am I right in saying:
Benefit in legacy systems to environment:
No need to buy new equipment that consume a lot of energy. However, older systems may use hardware that is old which is more energy consuming than newer ones. Therefore upgrading systems may also seem like a good idea. Nevertheless, extending the life of a computer system that is slow by increasing the RAM can also be a benefit as whole new systems do not have to be bought...?

Benefit in application systems as opposed to bespoke.

Bespoke systems have to be upgraded when there are changes in legislation or business initiative. Therefore, because they are so specific, they have to be redesigned and all the hardware has to be rebought and so it is not very carbon effective as computers use up 10 x the amount of energy during their production compared to their lifetime. Application systems just need to be updated by the software developer so that it suits legislation and therefore the hardware do not have to be replaced?

Desperate to conclude on all this haha!
Reply 311
Original post by sasha sh
what the helpful notes!!:smile::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::smile: but do you have the answers for the possible questions part? as i struggle in some of them :

5. How do articles A and B differ in their views? (6 marks):confused:
9. It is suggested that legislation should be changed to create a greener future, what could be changed? (6 marks):confused:
2. Decisions are normally made in 3 levels, operational, tactical and Strategic. Give an example of a decision that could be made at each level to increase a company’s green credentials. (3 marks):confused:

HELP

Goooooooddd luCkkkkkkkkkkk tO all of uS..:biggrin::colondollar::colone:

5. How do articles A and B differ in their views? (6 marks)
It would be more specific than this, probably quoting parts of the text it wants you compare :smile:
9. It is suggested that legislation should be changed to create a greener future
- The government could force all organisations to run on solar energy.
- All ICT equipment has to be recycled or reused.
- All hardware has to have the energy star on it which proves that it is energy efficient.
- Force organisations to make policies such as "Computers must be turned off everytime you leave the office.
- Organisations are limited to the amount of data that they can hold.
- incentives for teleworking such as financial bonuses to organisations.

2. Decisions are normally made in 3 levels, operational, tactical and Strategic. Give an example of a decision that could be made at each level to increase a company’s green credentials
Someones already answered that above me ^^
Reply 312
heyyyyy everyone...

I don't think you have to worry about this question as it came up in jan 2011 and was for 18 marks so there probably not going to ask a question about legislation again well least not in as much detail :smile:
Original post by Kaskade

Original post by Kaskade
There's no time to stress, just get down to it and focus :smile:

Data Protection Act Policies
- Don't put personal data on a memory stick (can be lost)
- Ensure that data is backed up on a regular basis.
- Register the data use with the data commissioners office.
- Ensure you have a firewall as well as an antivirus.

Computer Misuse Act:
- Do not allow people to download software as it can introduce viruses.
- Ban on unauthorized usage of the computer (i.e. facebook and such)
- Passwords so people can't access unauthorized data
- this password should not be shared and computers should not be left on unattended.

Copyright, Design and Patents Act.
- blocking sites offering illegal free downloads.
- Ban on installation of illegal software.
- Ensuring that company has the right amount of software with reflection to the amount of licences.
- Ban on sharing music at work.

Health and Safety at work.
- Staff should have regular breaks.
- Staff's eye tests are paid for.
- Staff have training to ensure they know how to stay safe.
- Regular checks in offices etc.

Okay, so am I right in saying:
Benefit in legacy systems to environment:
No need to buy new equipment that consume a lot of energy. However, older systems may use hardware that is old which is more energy consuming than newer ones. Therefore upgrading systems may also seem like a good idea. Nevertheless, extending the life of a computer system that is slow by increasing the RAM can also be a benefit as whole new systems do not have to be bought...?

Benefit in application systems as opposed to bespoke.

Bespoke systems have to be upgraded when there are changes in legislation or business initiative. Therefore, because they are so specific, they have to be redesigned and all the hardware has to be rebought and so it is not very carbon effective as computers use up 10 x the amount of energy during their production compared to their lifetime. Application systems just need to be updated by the software developer so that it suits legislation and therefore the hardware do not have to be replaced?

Desperate to conclude on all this haha!

Thank U!!!!!
how wud u answeer this question??? im stuck again.. :frown:
How does ICT in an organisation affect the enviroment and what can we do about it??

I don't think you have to worry about this question as it came up in jan 2011 and was for 18 marks so there probably not going to ask a question about legislation again well least not in as much detail :smile:

ahh yeahhh... tru tru... but just in case.... heyy u got any good points for this question??
How does ICT in an organisation affect the enviroment and what can we do about it??
heyyyyyy
where are the answeres for this question????

What are the environmental issues regarding the disposal of ICT equipment? (8 marks)

2. Decisions are normally made in 3 levels, operational, tactical and Strategic. Give an example of a decision that could be made at each level to increase a company’s green credentials. (3 marks)

3. How could the uses of teleworking and hot-desking improve the environment? ( 6 marks)

4. What effects would using teleworking and hot-desking have on workers in a business and the businesses overall? (6 marks)

6. What things could be changed in a business to show benefits overnight for their green credentials? (6 marks)

7. Article A suggests that companies should change from using bespoke systems to package systems, what does this mean? And what benefits would it bring? (6 marks)

8. It is suggested that companies should change their policies to improve their green credentials, what policies could be changed? (6 marks)

9. It is suggested that legislation should be changed to create a greener future, what could be changed? (6 marks)

10. How could future developments in ICT have an effect on the environment? (10 marks)
heyyyyyy
where are the answeres for this question????

What are the environmental issues regarding the disposal of ICT equipment? (8 marks)

2. Decisions are normally made in 3 levels, operational, tactical and Strategic. Give an example of a decision that could be made at each level to increase a company’s green credentials. (3 marks)

3. How could the uses of teleworking and hot-desking improve the environment? ( 6 marks)

4. What effects would using teleworking and hot-desking have on workers in a business and the businesses overall? (6 marks)

6. What things could be changed in a business to show benefits overnight for their green credentials? (6 marks)

7. Article A suggests that companies should change from using bespoke systems to package systems, what does this mean? And what benefits would it bring? (6 marks)

8. It is suggested that companies should change their policies to improve their green credentials, what policies could be changed? (6 marks)

9. It is suggested that legislation should be changed to create a greener future, what could be changed? (6 marks)

10. How could future developments in ICT have an effect on the environment? (10 marks)

Yeah someone post the answers!
Reply 317
Why don't many to many relationships work again?
Original post by Kaskade

Original post by Kaskade
Why don't many to many relationships work again?

they do work, what do u mean?
Gordon Brown, former British Prime Minister, in January 2009, said:
“Our digital networks will be the backbone of our economy in the decades ahead, just as roads and rails were the backbone of our physical infrastructure, and still are. And we know that every aspect of our lives in local communities, every school, every hospital, every workplace and even every home will be dependent on the services that the digital network provides.”
Discuss the extent to which you agree or disagree with this statement. Use relevant examples to support your argument.

What part of the text book is this meant to be related to? Anyone ?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending