The Student Room Group

AQA BIOL5 Biology Unit 5 Exam - 22nd June 2011

Scroll to see replies

Original post by kingsmod1
breadth is only 3 marks
content 16 looooooooool

content is not about lots of ****ing detail, u t*wat. And stop it with the big font!

The content you include should span at least 5 areas in some detail but not full detail with two key points and a specific example. So if I was being asked for an importance of ATP, I would state that its hydrolysis by ATPase releases energy that can be used for specific processes, for example provides energy for the active transport of mineral ions against a concentration gradient in a root hair cell of a plant.
Notice just how many key terms there were in that sentence. These identify it as being high quality for the marker. I could have said ATP is used for active transport of ions in a plant technically the same point but with a much lower quality.
Reply 2341
I think ill read the essay question first, and then answer the questions to see if any new ideas pop into my head. Hopefully the smaller questions will 'warm me up'.

GOOD LUCK EVERYONE!!:yeah:
my teacher was like try and think of 8 topics inc plants and animals and try and get 2 marks from each one = 16 for content
Original post by User12399
content is not about lots of ****ing detail, u t*wat. And stop it with the big font!

it is u ****, no haters please lol
Good luck everyone, though I'm sure it won't be needed given that you've all been so pro-active.

Personally, my policy for the ‘beyond A level’ marks in the essay is: If in doubt, epigenetics or prions! I don't care if they're relevant, epigenetics causes climate change and orbital wobbles as far as I'm concerned now. :biggrin:
i hope we just get questions like 'what is a nerve impulse' 'what is an action potential' 'what is the refractory period' .. but lets face it they don't ask questions so we can actually understand them. most the time i write really good stuff but its not what the question wanted but i just can't make sense of questions!
Original post by sarahlovesleon
i hope we just get questions like 'what is a nerve impulse' 'what is an action potential' 'what is the refractory period' .. but lets face it they don't ask questions so we can actually understand them. most the time i write really good stuff but its not what the question wanted but i just can't make sense of questions!

heh, it's aqa! not looking forward to HSW question
Good luck everyone! May we come out on the other side smiling/okay/not in tears.
Reply 2348
Are ion channels proteins?
Reply 2349
Original post by NRican
Are ion channels proteins?

As far as I'm aware yes :tongue:
Reply 2350
Just done the exam, went completely berserk and wrote a 10 page essay. Let's hope it picks me up enough marks for an A :smile:
Reply 2351
Wow just ****ing Wow.

I can kiss Uni goodbye :frown:
Reply 2352
Original post by King05
Wow just ****ing Wow.

I can kiss Uni goodbye :frown:

I'm sure it wasn't that bad for you! There were a lot of gift questions I'm sure everyone picked marks up on :smile: chin up
Reply 2353
Original post by Antyla
I'm sure it wasn't that bad for you! There were a lot of gift questions I'm sure everyone picked marks up on :smile: chin up

Thanks, but no believe me when I say this, i probably havent even got a grade. What was the ratio bit?
Reply 2354
What was that ... i was so desperate i looked to the essay to get marks .. thats deperation right there
Reply 2355
Original post by Antyla
Just done the exam, went completely berserk and wrote a 10 page essay. Let's hope it picks me up enough marks for an A :smile:

10 page essay? Geez only 16 content marks :tongue:
I thought my 6 page one was too much hehe. Glad the essays were nice options :smile:

Rest of the paper seemed reasonable to me, especially after how rubbish maths were.
Having to do a bunch of resits finally paid off :biggrin:D
Reply 2357
What a random paper. There was a question on pupa and suddenly lysosomes came up. The essay was pretty much a breeze though.
How did everyone find it? Personally I thought it could have gone a lot worse, but I did struggle with the restriction mapping question. There were a lot of graph-based questions which weren't too bad.

As for the essays, I chose cycles, but ran out of time when I was on my third side :frown: Just have to wait and see now...
that essay question was on cycles was so awesome couldnt have asked for more really :smile: hope everyone did well

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending