The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by Lady_Diamond
If the Q is on themes which theme will you choose? Authority?
And to answer that ^ can we comment on the uprising of - I don't believe this. I've actually forgotten who the civil war was between. Help. Left vs right. Which one was the second republic and which was the army?

Sorry i haven't had chance to reply to your tweet, admitedlly it got caught up amongst loads of others, it's not me being rude!

Basically social context isn't necessary but personally i like having that to fall back on. In particular on LCDBA talk about the fact that Adela was silenced in the play as was Lorca in real life not long after the play was completed. If the play is on themes definitely choose authority because you can bring in other themes as well because this is what Bernarda uses to impose her views on the other themes (women and religion)

You just need to have a bit of background detail on each. Talk about the churches being burn down in June 1936 for Religion, for social inequality talk about the agrarian reform and try and find some quotes for a bibliography on the end of the essay, for women talk i would talk about the repression of women in Spain during the second republic and for authority talk about the crucial year 1936 and i'd talk about how politics got more extreme towards the end of the 2nd republic and in a way mirrors the play, as tensions rise throughout the play leading to the death of Adela, as is in the second republic where tensions rise, let to the nationalist uprising and you could either mention the outbreak of the civil war, as you may want to call it - the major event, or even the death of Lorca.

Hope that helps!
Reply 61
For the bibliography, how many sources are you all planning on putting down? Anyone putting ones they're not gonna reference, suggesting you've read them for background knowledge before the exam? We've been told about 5 would be enough including the play itself but i'm unsure (usually i end up going over the top on things like this e.g coursework, so any help would be much appreciated)
Original post by jaydemikaela
Refer to a character in your chosen book, play or film. Discuss their role and consider how successful the writer / director is in the representation of this character.

Ah thanks. That's a shame, I was hoping that question would come up this year.
Original post by adamski93
For the bibliography, how many sources are you all planning on putting down? Anyone putting ones they're not gonna reference, suggesting you've read them for background knowledge before the exam? We've been told about 5 would be enough including the play itself but i'm unsure (usually i end up going over the top on things like this e.g coursework, so any help would be much appreciated)

We have to use 5 sources? Since when?

rascacielos

hey, I see you're going to UCL - has their accommodation office got back to you yet, or are they being incredibly slow like LSE's?
Original post by Rascacielos
Ah thanks. That's a shame, I was hoping that question would come up this year.

It might do, you never know! Or maybe an adapted version of it at least.

I'm putting down 4.

Hey,
I'm doing this exam however i'm self-teaching so i'm not too clear on the bibliography.
What exactly are we meant to do? Are we meant to intergrate where our information is from throughout the essay in Section C? Or are we meant to do a bibliography at the end of the essay?
Thanks!
Original post by asha_patel
Hey,
I'm doing this exam however i'm self-teaching so i'm not too clear on the bibliography.
What exactly are we meant to do? Are we meant to intergrate where our information is from throughout the essay in Section C? Or are we meant to do a bibliography at the end of the essay?
Thanks!

What's this about a bibliography at the end of the essay?! :eek:
Original post by TheMeister

hey, I see you're going to UCL - has their accommodation office got back to you yet, or are they being incredibly slow like LSE's?

I applied for UofL accommodation, so it's probably slightly different. I have had a confirmation though.
Reply 69
Original post by TheMeister

Oh hi martin
On the essays he has done there is like what 6/7 sources so i reckon 5 is a safe bet, plus the sources you use on bibliography don't have to be referenced in the essay, you could say you read up and used background knowledge for the exam.

I'm going to a session with my spanish teacher, so if anybody wants any confirmation on anything who can't get it from their own teacher, reply pretty quick coz it starts at half 1 and i'll ask him for ye.
Reply 70
Original post by asha_patel
Hey,
Thanks!

Not entirely sure, just fit things in where you can. If you're talking about themes or something, bring in the strength of religion and then maybe sidetrack to say 'however despite the strong sense of religion within the play, the outside world was much different as churches were burnt down in june 1936, highling the anticlericalism in spain at the time' etc. Or comment on how andalucia was rural in LCDBA and that changes to improve lives of women hadn't reached there etc.
Oh hi martin
On the essays he has done there is like what 6/7 sources so i reckon 5 is a safe bet, plus the sources you use on bibliography don't have to be referenced in the essay, you could say you read up and used background knowledge for the exam.

I'm going to a session with my spanish teacher, so if anybody wants any confirmation on anything who can't get it from their own teacher, reply pretty quick coz it starts at half 1 and i'll ask him for ye.

Reet, ok - I didn't even pay much attention to that. **** :colondollar:

Thanks for reminding to look over those essays he's done :smile:
What's this about a bibliography at the end of the essay?! :eek:

To be honest i have no clue :frown:

Think i will go on to the edexcel website and see if i can find some sample answers for Section C....
Not entirely sure, just fit things in where you can. If you're talking about themes or something, bring in the strength of religion and then maybe sidetrack to say 'however despite the strong sense of religion within the play, the outside world was much different as churches were burnt down in june 1936, highling the anticlericalism in spain at the time' etc. Or comment on how andalucia was rural in LCDBA and that changes to improve lives of women hadn't reached there etc.

Thank you!
I'm doing a geographical area so i have no clue how i'm going to include any sources... I will look on the edexcel website see if they have some sample essays i can take a look at...
Hi have this tomorrow :biggrin: I am looking for the June 2010 and January 2011 past papers. Does anyone have them. Thanks

I'm doing Como Agua para Chocolate :biggrin:

Original post by Lady_Diamond

As for the final section of the paper, is anyone studying La Casa de Bernarda Alba?

I've read that book so if you need any help, let me know.
Original post by areyousure?
Hi have this tomorrow :biggrin: I am looking for the June 2010 and January 2011 past papers. Does anyone have them. Thanks

I've read that book so if you need any help, let me know.

http://getrevising.co.uk/resources/unit_4_italianurdufrenchgermanrussianspanish_june_2009_papers

There's no Jan 2011 paper.
How are people revising for the discursive essay?
Are you just learning some useful phrases etc? I find it really hard to revise for that part but I feel I should do something at least :P xx

Same, what notes have you got about setting? I'm really struggling!
Same, what notes have you got about setting? I'm really struggling!

I don't have many notes so I am just reading the SparkNotes on it, they can ask about anything soo... Setting just early 1900s Mexican Revolution, society in Mexico was divided as some wanted to progress could be represented by what happened at the ranch, as Mama Elena can be seen as the dictator and Tita can represent all the people who wanted a revolution against tradition.
I don't have many notes so I am just reading the SparkNotes on it, they can ask about anything soo... Setting just early 1900s Mexican Revolution, society in Mexico was divided as some wanted to progress could be represented by what happened at the ranch, as Mama Elena can be seen as the dictator and Tita can represent all the people who wanted a revolution against tradition.

Yeah, I've got that far, but apart from that it's difficult. I sincerely hope setting doesn't come up. :s-smilie:

Latest