The Student Room Group

AQA BIOL5 Biology Unit 5 Exam - 22nd June 2011

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Abby :)
I thought the 80% question was easy...

the hormones was at the level exactly 2, and the nervous stimulation was at exactly 8.

so they add up to 10... so 8 = 80% O.o

Unless i missed the point and got it wrong.

I put that. It was one mark :biggrin:
Its logical :]
Reply 2401
what did people write for levels of lysosomes?
Reply 2402
Totally failed this exam.
I'll be lucky if ive even reached half marks.
Reply 2403
Wonder if first question threw anyone with it being RNA instead of DNA.
The 2 fragments were Phosphate and Ribose, but alot of people I know just put sugar, wonder if they'll accept it :tongue:

I got 80 0 0 and 5:1.

And cycles I did:
Cardiac
Cell
Menstrual
Nitrogen
Carbon
Respiration (Krebs)
Photosynthesis (Calvin+Cyclic photophosphorolation)

Also threw in Synapses and Muscle Contraction as they seem relatively cycle-y :tongue:
Original post by teddyWS
i got 75%...
cuz the cyle ended at roughly 1hr 20 mins so thats 80mins... question asked for 1st hour so i did 60/80 *100
did anyone else get this? :s-smilie:

YES!!! I was afraid to speak out thinking I definitely got it wrong... but that's exactly what I did... Not sure if it's right though seeing what other people are saying... At least I'm not alone! :colone:
Reply 2405
Original post by lou12

I said it'll increase because they are involved with protein synthesis.
Reply 2406
Original post by Dallen
For the essay i went for the cycles, not sure if its allowed to put what i stated in it, but i went for menstrual, photosynthesis, respiration, nitrogen, carbon, (life in general for intro) and coudlnt really think of anything else.

i got 5:1 or 1:0.2

and like 80%, 57%, 48%, but for the last 2 i was think overal this had made by the 2/3 hours mark, not how much was being made at the 2/3 hour mark

1st hour, nerve at 8, hormone 2, 8+2=10, 8/10 = 80, 2nd hour was like 8 to 6, 8+6=14 8/14 = 58 ish? 3rd hour 8+8.5 = 16.5, 8/16.5 = 48 ish?

but surely thats way too much working for just one mark?
Reply 2407
Original post by lou12

Lysosomes = vesicles full of enzymes. Enzymes are proteins. RNA required for protein synthesis.

Can't remember what the question was exactly, but think it was RNA is high, so lysosomes are also high for the reasons I stated above :smile:
Original post by my_username_rocks
i didn't get 5:1, was gonna but that but i thought u wud need a few leaves for max growth so but 2.5:1 so that leaves and plantlets would be produced.. oo wellllll

I did that as well :']
I thought you need leaves for maximum growth. But everyone I spoke to put 1:5 so obviously we've missed the point? :wink:
i dont get what you guys done - i got 80 0 0 %
is this not right??
what did you guys do for the middle and end chromosome numbers???
Didnt anybody get 5:3 for the ratio ?!?!? :frown:

And the restriction endonuclease question ?!? WTF
How does using one restriction enzyme cut the plasmid into two sections because its circular? Isn't it just one?
Confused :?
And in the box where you had to say how many enzymes were used if three fragments were obtained I put 2 going by their theory ... although if it's the plasmid that was cut it should of been three???

Anybody else have this problem :frown:
Reply 2411
Do you think grade boundaries will be lower?
Reply 2412
Original post by *QueenBeee
i dont get what you guys done - i got 80 0 0 %
is this not right??
what did you guys do for the middle and end chromosome numbers???

I got that too.

0% for the last two because nervous stimulation line had dropped to 0 well before the 2 hour point.

So at 2 hours and 3 hours the nervous stimulation was having no impact on the gastric juice produced, only the hormonals.

Think everyones over-looking into it to be honest, all you had to do was read where the line was upto for each one. xD
Original post by SarahTM
I did that as well :']
I thought you need leaves for maximum growth. But everyone I spoke to put 1:5 so obviously we've missed the point? :wink:

ahahhhahahaha yeppppp, ooohhhhh well :biggrin: 2 marks out of the 50 i've lost won't make much difference
i thought the exam was ok actually. none of the stuff i couldnt get (action potentials, muscle movements etc) came up.

i did the "dna in science and technology" essay but i didnt have time to write much. ah well i wrote a plan and if you dont get max marks in the essay they check your plan to see i f they can award you extra marks there.

still, i know 2 1/4 hours is a long exam but i could have done with 2 1/2 hours
Original post by woods.vanessa

How does using one restriction enzyme cut the plasmid into two sections because its circular? Isn't it just one?
And in the box where you had to say how many enzymes were used if three fragments were obtained I put 2 going by their theory ... although if it's the plasmid that was cut it should of been three???

i put 2 in the box as well, coz one of the cuts was in the plasmid itself right??
Original post by NRican
Do you think grade boundaries will be lower?

our biology teahcer says that one year they mucked up and made the exam way too hard and they had to lower the grade boundries to 18% for a C :holmes:

he didnt say when this was. probably years ago.

still - if everyone does really bad, then they do lower the grade boundries.
Reply 2417
Original post by M | k e
Wonder if first question threw anyone with it being RNA instead of DNA.
The 2 fragments were Phosphate and Ribose, but alot of people I know just put sugar, wonder if they'll accept it :tongue:

I got 80 0 0 and 5:1.

Same :biggrin: Not sure about 80 tho
(edited 12 years ago)
for thbe cycles essay i did, life cycle as introduction, Photosynthesis, respiration, synapses,musle synapse thing and muscle contraction ( all thre i twisted slightly to make them sound more cycly but my teacher said we ciould count them on a previous essay we've done) carbon cyle, nitrogen cycle and the predetor prey relationship coz thats a bit cycly too
Reply 2419
Original post by woods.vanessa

I thought it was because the unknown DNA had a restriction site which is why it was cut there as well as the site in the plasmid

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending