The Student Room Group

AQA BIOL5 Biology Unit 5 Exam - 22nd June 2011

Scroll to see replies

Original post by 5mattcolour
Me neither :frown:

I said it had 2000bp :/ took 1000 away from the inital 3000bp.

That was the best I could do :frown:
I wrote deoxyribose... :facepalm:
i need at least a B overall (pref an A obv) and I've got A's in all my units so far... i can't have screwed up too badly as there was only one question i couldn't write anything for (why do lizards pant? 2 marks) and I made a decent attempt at the essay and left plan... i cant have screwed up too badly...
Original post by bbeckii
essay titles were okay, but there was nothing on receptors, muscle contraction, action potential and all that, would've loved a question on that.. pretty poo paper really :/

Yeah I realised there was nothing for the whole first module in the revision book - what you mentioned and responses in animals and plants (though I guess there was a bit for the plant)

They did do a synapse type thing though
Original post by Gemma2010
I did and alomst everyone I know. I got a bit confused on the whole 'use' part though, did it want you to explain how the process worked or how the process could be applied or both?

I just basically wrote the whole gene technology section and applied it to how it is used :smile:
Original post by Sparkly-Star
I wrote deoxyribose... :facepalm:

:frown:
Original post by sparkly-star

Original post by sparkly-star
i wrote deoxyribose... :facepalm:

ah same! Fml!
Reply 2467
Original post by woods.vanessa
Yeah but the question said it was cut once?
Im confused :frown:

Tell me you put 2 in the answer for number of cuts or something :biggrin::biggrin:

I thought the question asked what you could show about the unknown DNA knowing that 2 fragments were formed when you used that specific enzyme. It showed you that enzyme cut the plasmid once, so if 2 fragments were formed 2 cuts must have happened, hence the second cut must have taken place on the unknown DNA. Not sure if that's what you're asking though :tongue:

Yeah I put 2 cuts for second one :smile:
Ahh i had a nightmare!!! Nailed the essay though did the cycles on carbon, nitrogen, krebs, calvin, cardiac, life cycle, menstrual. Just hoping i got some marks in the earlier questions :P
screwed everyone over in jan and july
**** YOU AQA!!! :angry:
Original post by *QueenBeee
found this solid
I cant believe it in comparison to june 2010, which i thought was a fairly decent paper I thought this one was horrible!!
I just pray grade boundarise are super low - no one has said it was easy
IN june 2010 the grade boundaries were as follows:
A*- 69
A - 62
B - 55
C - 49
D - 43
E - 37

This year I reckon
A* - 64
A - 57
B - 50
C- 44
D - 38
E - 32
anyone agree?? too harsh?? to nice ????? xxx

69 for an A*? I though you had to get like 90/100 :O
what the was that one about hormones? it was worded really strangely and it confused me. like it said describe how hormones affect differently? it was something like that. what did people write?

what the hell?! siRNA?! the smallest little chunk of the entire chapter 16 and there was a whole question on it! damn it!
Reply 2472
for the essay I did the DNA one but I think I misinterpreted the question, cus I just talked about uses (e.g. insulin creation, genetic fingerprinting) and didn't mention the PROCESSES (hybridization, probes, PCR).

Whatcha guys think?
Original post by M | k e
I thought the question asked what you could show about the unknown DNA knowing that 2 fragments were formed when you used that specific enzyme. It showed you that enzyme cut the plasmid once, so if 2 fragments were formed 2 cuts must have happened, hence the second cut must have taken place on the unknown DNA. Not sure if that's what you're asking though :tongue:

Yeah I put 2 cuts for second one :smile:

Thank god!

1 mark in the bag :biggrin:
Original post by Gemma2010
69 for an A*? I though you had to get like 90/100 :O

Welcome to AQA lol
The questions were sooo akward and most of the topics never even came up! Do the examiners not realise that these grades really matter!? i mean if they put a paper like that in january yes maybe it may have been tolerable, but this is our last chance before university to get the grades! AQA has ****ed me over big time :'( The essay is the only part of the exam that actually went well :/
it was weird but i didn't feel like i did too badly but that probably means i got a u lol i need a c, although if i get a D it wont be the end of the world, quite a few people seem to have run out of time so even though the essays were nice many ran out of time or only wrote about a few things so i reckon slightly lower than last year
Reply 2477
ahh **** for the 1st question i had but ribose.. then changed it to introns and exons... WTF haha
Reply 2478
Where the HELL was action potentials?! I'm MAD!!!!

So bloody glad that exam's over, I didn't finish the synoptic essay (I chose the DNA one), everything else was pretty much okay. I'm just glad it's over, I don't really want to discuss it - just moving forward for Chemistry now!
Original post by M | k e
Lol seemed such a stupid question I didn't really know what it was asking for. I just said something like "The rest of the plasmid and unknown DNA" :s-smilie:

Me too me too me too!!!!! :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending