The Student Room Group

AQA BIOL5 Biology Unit 5 Exam - 22nd June 2011

Scroll to see replies

So failing this exam.
Only managed to miss 4 marks worth of questions. But I know for a fact that the BS that I wrote as answers is gonna get me a fail. Bye leeds
Reply 2541
Original post by cydonia
I chose 5:2
You get plantlets and leaves. Evidence from the table showed that leaves could develop into full plantlets (from callus of course).

Which is better?
To get plantlets and then having to cut leaves or getting plantlets and some leaves so that new plantlets can form?

But wasn't there 2 plantlets and leaves ones? One being 50:5 and one being 25:10 from what I remember, so how are you to decide which of those 2 is best? To me the fact that plantlets were the only one that was alone in the box suggested that was what they were after. Who's the say when it says Plantlets it doesn't mean 10, and Plantlets and leaves could mean 5 Plantlets 5 leaves, I'd rather have 10 plantlets :tongue:.

But yeah I get what you're saying, just to me there wasn't enough info there and my knowledge of growing papaya plants isn't great, so 5:1 seemed the most logical to me.

Shrug, 2 marks :tongue:
Oh my god that paper was DISGUSTING. It was ****ing awful. I actually want to die. Goodbye uni.
I did the DNA essay, there was so much to write about it so couldn't write about anything in so much detail. It was mostly unit 5 though, a bit of unit 2.
does heamoglobin going around the body carry and realising oxygen count as a cycle? (Was running out of things to put)
Original post by tehsponge
Oh my god that paper was DISGUSTING. It was ****ing awful. I actually want to die. Goodbye uni.

chin up dude. you don't know until you get the grade back :smile:

i got 98% in history ums at AS despite thinking I got a C/B
Reply 2546
Horrible exam
Original post by animal*nature
So So SO annoyed with this exam seriously where was the content all HSW!!
Please join this group if you thought this exam was pathetic (apart from the essay question)

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?sk=group_219192354782279

There was a lot of content, but just worded to make you apply the content rather than recite it! I think it was a decent exam, and since this is only the second exam on this specification, not many people knew what to expect!
Original post by tehsponge

Have faith, my son.
Original post by sammycjones
does heamoglobin going around the body carry and realising oxygen count as a cycle? (Was running out of things to put)

YES :smile:

I had it in my plan but didn't have enough time to stick it down.
The only redeeming thing about that paper is that the cycles essay was the ONLY ONE I PRACTICED, and I got 23/25 for it. I almost squee'd with happiness when I saw it. Dohohohoho :awesome:
Love how everyone immediately goes "oh no how science works! I've failed and therefore my life is over forever!!"

Chill out people, it wasnt that HSWy and grade boundaries will be low I'm sure. Anyway even if you don't get into uni this year you life is not over.
Original post by Cyanohydrin
chin up dude. you don't know until you get the grade back :smile:

i got 98% in history ums at AS despite thinking I got a C/B

Lol, no honestly I don't think I answered any of the questions from about 5 onwards correctly.
Original post by percy93
yeh i did. but i wonder if i did enough
i wrote about-
DNA probing and sequencing etc in id for mutated gene
Genetic fingerprinting
DNA hybridisation- in the AS spec with measuring relationship with DNA between two samples
Gene therapy
Modifying DNA for crop animals and medicine..

Do you think I've done enough for breadth? What did you write?

I wrote about probing, electropheresis and fingerprinting - cloning in vivo and in vitro (so PCR restriction endonucleases, reverse transcriptase, vectors etc.)

didnt pick anything up from AS stuff but i think i wrote plenty anyway :smile:
Reply 2554
For the electrophoresis question, did any1 put fragments seperate due to differences in size and they can predict how large they by comparing them with known size fragments along side ??
Reply 2555
No more Biology !!
Wooohooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
:banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana:
Original post by Libertiney
Love how everyone immediately goes "oh no how science works! I've failed and therefore my life is over forever!!"

Chill out people, it wasnt that HSWy and grade boundaries will be low I'm sure. Anyway even if you don't get into uni this year you life is not over.

No, but we do have to pay 3 times the price if we apply next year.
Reply 2557
Original post by Libertiney
Anyway even if you don't get into uni this year you life is not over.

if i dont get into uni this year my life may aswell be over
Reply 2558
He-LLOOO Clearingg!

Pissed. Missed more questions than I ever have before (went back and wrote rubbish in them after)
Possibly the worst biology exam I've done. Learnt entire book before exam literally only skipped a bit of the menstrual cycle because it was too confusing and i ran out of revision time. What comes up? I put that Oestrogen stimulates follicle growth FML.

The endonuclease/mapping thing was a joke. The rest was all practically HSW which I blatantlyy got wrong. What dideveryone put for the lizard?

I actually liked the second to last question on enzymes for phosphate/lactase and krebs cycle though. Nice 4 marker. What did everyone put for the second question? It was mathematic, to do with complimentary bases? I put 16 and 17. and also the question after that.. what was it again?

no definition questions!

Oh and the process by which growth factors (or something) reach their target cells I put Diffusion? and there was another question about how they reach target cells.. i put through blood/ bing to receptors on cell surface membranes.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending