The Student Room Group

AQA BIOL5 Biology Unit 5 Exam - 22nd June 2011

Scroll to see replies

yeah I put that as well :smile:
Original post by SammyJ
Before i forget: what did everyone put for why The lizards uptake of oxygen increased when it moved into hotter temps?

I put more enzyme activity/more atp needed/more o2 for respiration

also i noted there was a LOT of graphs to decipher in this exam

ahhyeahhh :biggrin: I said increase in kinetic energy and then said basically what you wrote.. also WHat did everyone write for that question ON PANTING?I ACTUALLY BEGAN TO PANT AND ASK MYSELF "HOW DOES THIS HELP" ? hahha! I just wrote about the release of hot air and evapouration of saliva O-o
Reply 2602
Original post by Rose1990
I started with DNA introduction: degenerate,non overlapping, universal.
Recombinant Dna technology( genetic engineering)
Gene therapy,
In vivo &in vitro (somewhere squished between these two topic)
DNA finger printing ands its use ( forensic science, investigate diversity in species, jeremy kyle)
Irrelevent but I wrote about ethical issues surrrounding Recombinant dna tech and all those.. and then times up! Hoping for the best

Ethical issues wasn't irrelevant, because it affects the uses of dna, aha dont put yourself down!
Original post by Zakir
i talked about homeostasis?? :s

But lizards are ectotherms? Their body temperature isn't controlled by homeostasis but behaviour mechanisms like moving in and out of the sun/shade, gaining heat from the ground or their colour variations.

I absolutely hated this exam! I was waiting for action potentionals and muscles and regulating heart rate to come up and I got all the stuff I'm worst at :frown:
Essay wan't too bad though!
Reply 2604
i hate aqa biology.. BUT WE NEVER HAVE TO DO IT AGAAAAIN
Reply 2605
Original post by SammyJ
Before i forget: what did everyone put for why The lizards uptake of oxygen increased when it moved into hotter temps?

I put more enzyme activity/more atp needed/more o2 for respiration

also i noted there was a LOT of graphs to decipher in this exam

That's what I put... The wording of the question was a little awkward though so I couldn't quite figure out what they were looking for.

I thought the essay questions were fantastic - I chose the DNA one and wrote about screening, counselling, genetic fingerprinting (linking in Hungtindon's), uses of recombinant DNA (linking in Diabetes), replica plating (and potential horizontal gene transmission of genes for resistance), recombinant DNA in agriculture, producing antithrombin (with a little spiel about what a thrombus was from unit 1) as well as some ethical implications associated with each. Ohh and gene therapy for cystic fibrosis/SCID etc.

One good cross-spec idea that I didn't think of was DNA hybridisation to see how closely related two species are (from Unit 2 I think?)
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by w@termelon
ahhyeahhh :biggrin: I said increase in kinetic energy and then said basically what you wrote.. also WHat did everyone write for that question ON PANTING?I ACTUALLY BEGAN TO PANT AND ASK MYSELF "HOW DOES THIS HELP" ? hahha! I just wrote about the release of hot air and evapouration of saliva O-o

I wrote
Heat is used up to evaporate water
Helping to lower the body temp :P
Reply 2607
Original post by heather04
But lizards are ectotherms? Their body temperature isn't controlled by homeostasis but behaviour mechanisms like moving in and out of the sun/shade, gaining heat from the ground or their colour variations.

I absolutely hated this exam! I was waiting for action potentionals and muscles and regulating heart rate to come up and I got all the stuff I'm worst at :frown:
Essay wan't too bad though!

i thought i did that wrong...

what kind of an exam was that? i may have not revised three quaters of the syllabus
Original post by Zakir
i thought i did that wrong...

You're welcome!
I've done a tonne of stuff wrong.. The questions were worded so awkwardly, I had no idea sometimes what they wanted!
For the DNA essay, would it have been okay to do a section on pcr and in vivo cloning, use in medicine e.g. Detecting genes using gene probes, stem cell therapy and gene therapy, then a section on plants like tissue cloning and gm crops and then genetic fingerprinting and paternity tests and crime scenes? :s-smilie:
Reply 2611
Unofficial mark scheme anyone??
Grade boundaries??
Reply 2612

LOL! yeah i wrote something similar about air passing over the tongue allowing water to evaporate - reducing heat
Reply 2613
What did everyone put for why the cells from the stem or something like that were totipotent?
i did the dna essay too
i hated question5 and 9 tbh grade boundaries will be slightly higher or the same for this one i think
i did the essay quite good talked about dna at the start then in vivo and in vitro hene cloning recombinant dna technology and genetic fingerprinting cos i did the essay at the end and had about 30 mins left
i think ill get about 15 marks on the essay but im not to sure
i thought questions 1-4 were quite good and the essay but im not to sure about the rest
Original post by cheeseisnice
For the DNA essay, would it have been okay to do a section on pcr and in vivo cloning, use in medicine e.g. Detecting genes using gene probes, stem cell therapy and gene therapy, then a section on plants like tissue cloning and gm crops and then genetic fingerprinting and paternity tests and crime scenes? :s-smilie:

A friend of mine did that, it sounds spot on to me. As long as it involves DNA it can be included so sounds like you've done a good essay :biggrin:

I wrote exhalation of hot air and inhalation of cool air, and by opening its mouth it increases the surface area that the lizard can lose heat from (its toungue and the entire inside of its mouth are exposed to the environment).

I was thinking of evaporation of water, but then I thought this might do the lizard more harm than good if its too hot, because they may want to conserve water? :confused:
Reply 2617
essaY was good!
questions were awful
i put 100% 0 0 lol what an idiot!
didnt understand any of the pupa stuff/lysosomes etc
and probs got 0 on the restriction mapping!
:frown:
hopefully essay made up for it need an A!
I HATE AQA BIOLOGY if i ever find out who wrote this exam then MAD
i feel as though my uni chances have been badly damaged due to this exam
hoping chem5 is better but this is aqa so it probs wont happen

grade boundaries anyone i think same as last year or a bit lower
Original post by cydonia
I chose 5:2
You get plantlets and leaves. Evidence from the table showed that leaves could develop into full plantlets (from callus of course).

Which is better?
To get plantlets and then having to cut leaves or getting plantlets and some leaves so that new plantlets can form?

where we meant to know what plantlets or callus were? I never heard of them, so I didn't even know what to put - though you needed all of them :rolleyes:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending