The Student Room Group

AQA ICT Info 3 Pre Release June 2011

Scroll to see replies

Reply 340
It says in article A that a way of reducing energy is to use energy efficient ICT hardware and to replace each item (PC, printers, servers) where appropriate; does anyone think it will ask what to replace it with, or can we just be like..'oh replace it with more efficient hardware' haha..does it want us to be specific? Cause I wouldn't really know what to write...could I talk about using flat screen monitors as an e.g.? What printers are energy efficient?

Oh wait I just found this, it might help people?
http://www.britishchambers.org.uk/business_services/carbon/Energy%20Savings%20Fact%20Sheet%20Office.pdf
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 341
Original post by Kaskade

Original post by Kaskade
Nooo, it's like at the bottum of the page where they say: "This letter is no way affiliated with... blah blah". All the legal stuff that has to by law, go on the bottum of the page. If this was removed then less paper would be needed... bit silly but...

not just less paper but also reduces the processing power as well hence reducing carbon footprint
Reply 342
Original post by EmployedImp
Ah thank you very much! How did you do in the coursework section (info4)? i'm depending entirely on that to keep my overall grade high :P

I got 65 marks which is an A but I still need 90% in this exam to get an overall A :s-smilie:
Original post by x-ami-x
My teacher won't say! She says they change so much it's not worth telling :s-smilie: But I need an A overall in ICT :frown: So I'm terrified for tomorrow!

That sucks, a guy in my class got 68/70 in the coursework!! I need to get a high B in this paper to get a B overall.
Reply 344
what are info 3 UMS boundaries normally like?, i need 70/120 to get an A, anyone guess what that is in raw marks(prediction or based on previous papers)
Reply 345
Original post by MadCatChiken
That sucks, a guy in my class got 68/70 in the coursework!! I need to get a high B in this paper to get a B overall.

68/70?! Good on him :smile: And I'm aiming for an A, all the past papers I've done though have always had one question I can never do :s-smilie: I really hate the long essay ones...so hoping they only have the one :smile:
Original post by tt123
what are info 3 UMS boundaries normally like?, i need 70/120 to get an A, anyone guess what that is in raw marks(prediction or based on previous papers)

Jan 10 - 70/120 was 51 raw marks
June 10- 70/120 was 52 raw marks
Jan 11- 70/120 was 59 raw marks

I guess to be safe aim for 51 - 62/63 raw marks out of 100
(edited 12 years ago)

68/70 :O nice
Reply 348
:smile: On the analysis (attached if wanted) it says 'Organisational structure span of control etc ……. How would changes in working practice (mentioned in the case study) affect this?' --- How would the structure affect and organisation trying to be green or the enviroment?
Reply 349
Original post by x-ami-x
68/70?! Good on him :smile: And I'm aiming for an A, all the past papers I've done though have always had one question I can never do :s-smilie: I really hate the long essay ones...so hoping they only have the one :smile:

There's only 3 past papers right?
Original post by kp_10
:smile: On the analysis (attached if wanted) it says 'Organisational structure span of control etc ……. How would changes in working practice (mentioned in the case study) affect this?' --- How would the structure affect and organisation trying to be green or the enviroment?

flatter structure means less managers therefore less computers which means less energy consumption.
Reply 351
Anyone know how the government could assist the move to green ICT? ...Apart from removing disclaimers at the end of e-mails..hahaa
Reply 352
6. “With ICT accounting for 15% of the UK’s office energy consumption”
Is ICT part of the problem, or part of the solution?
Discuss (8 marks) (use essay format)

Could someone help me out with this question? I didn't really understand how to answer this one :/ So far the notes I've got are;

+ ICT means there is significantly less paper use (letters, forms, storage)
+ ICT can be developed to be more energy efficient
+ Many organisations can benefit financially and gain a better reputation by reducing their carbon footprint
+ ICT can decrease the amount of CO2 emissions, less car journeys due to teleworking
+ & - Just-in-time manufacturing? Use of ICT, no need to store as much but requires more journeys therefore more CO2 and more use of ICT
+ & - E-commerce, may require a bigger server to store and process customer details and orders (more processing = more energy consumption) However, means customers will make less journeys (fewer delivery vehicles to all customer journeys)
- ICT requires alot of electricity, many leave laptops on hibernate or put screen-savers
- ICT disposal may not be done correctly and produce 50m tons of e-waste
Original post by l0livia
Anyone know how the government could assist the move to green ICT? ...Apart from removing disclaimers at the end of e-mails..hahaa

Legislation, subies to companies to help change to more energy effiecent computers and other hardware..

subies can be given to companies to create more environmentally friendly computers

think on a wider scale x
Reply 354
Original post by Jasmin11
There's only 3 past papers right?

I've done Jan 2010, June 2010 and Jan 2011 so only three, I think I made it sound like I did loads xD, then one of my teachers made a bunch of basic essay questions up (Teleworking, Legisation, Introducing new systems)
Original post by x-ami-x
6. “With ICT accounting for 15% of the UK’s office energy consumption”
Is ICT part of the problem, or part of the solution?
Discuss (8 marks) (use essay format)

Could someone help me out with this question? I didn't really understand how to answer this one :/ So far the notes I've got are;

+ ICT means there is significantly less paper use (letters, forms, storage)
+ ICT can be developed to be more energy efficient
+ Many organisations can benefit financially and gain a better reputation by reducing their carbon footprint
+ ICT can decrease the amount of CO2 emissions, less car journeys due to teleworking
+ & - Just-in-time manufacturing? Use of ICT, no need to store as much but requires more journeys therefore more CO2 and more use of ICT
this is not nessecarily the case as this just in time may make it so that they limit the number if there are a few products as they arent jsut re-stocking a little amount, they will be restocking alot if that makes sense

+ & - E-commerce, may require a bigger server to store and process customer details and orders (more processing = more energy consumption) However, means customers will make less journeys (fewer delivery vehicles to all customer journeys)
- ICT requires alot of electricity, many leave laptops on hibernate or put screen-savers
- ICT disposal may not be done correctly and produce 50m tons of e-waste

youve got a well descent essay for the 8 marks, just expand on a couple of the points i.e. the first one you could mention just waste as email reduce paper waste. and by refilling ink cartirgides there is no need to replace them therefore there will be less waste that way x

how :O wow :smile: im impressed :smile:

im so nervous for tomorrow!!! i mean im actually shaking havent been able to sleep for days!!! twos exams in five hours :frown: relly not looking forward to it :frown: x
Original post by ,,,,
Jan 10 - 70/120 was 51 raw marks
June 10- 70/120 was 52 raw marks
Jan 11- 70/120 was 59 raw marks

I guess to be safe aim for 51 - 62/63 raw marks out of 100

where did you find these i wanna inspect the grade boundaries closely :smile: x
Reply 358
Original post by Nicola.Garner
youve got a well descent essay for the 8 marks, just expand on a couple of the points i.e. the first one you could mention just waste as email reduce paper waste. and by refilling ink cartirgides there is no need to replace them therefore there will be less waste that way x

Thanks :smile: And that's a good point, I've got to remember to put examples! x
Original post by Nicola.Garner
where did you find these i wanna inspect the grade boundaries closely :smile: x

http://web.aqa.org.uk/UMS/ums_converter_a2.php?id=04 - after you select the year and subject, just type in a random raw mark and a list appears..

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending