Unofficial mark scheme anyone??
Grade boundaries??

Lol 25% for an A I reckon.
Original post by choc1234
essaY was good!
questions were awful
i put 100% 0 0 lol what an idiot!
didnt understand any of the pupa stuff/lysosomes etc
and probs got 0 on the restriction mapping!
:frown:
hopefully essay made up for it need an A!

i put 100 0 0 to for the percent couldnt think of anything else and ur rite the essay was good :smile: hoping grade boundaries are low so i can have a chance of getting a good grade
questions 9 and 5 were :mad::angry: questions
Reply 2622
Original post by tehsponge
Lol 25% for an A I reckon.

I wish!
I put 75% 0 0 because the second curver was at 2 at one hour as well =/
For the lysosome question I wrote that lysosomes have enzymes for when the the body is broken down? Feel so stupid now xD
For the ratio I put 5:1 but I have no idea where the second mark is coming from!

Goodbye Chester :') Haha
Original post by heather04
But lizards are ectotherms? Their body temperature isn't controlled by homeostasis but behaviour mechanisms like moving in and out of the sun/shade, gaining heat from the ground or their colour variations.

i thought they were endotherms? endothermic is absorbing heat in chemisstry... ****

Original post by shirin123
what kind of an exam was that? i may have not revised three quaters of the syllabus

a lot of people are saying that. they do have a point, but it was lucky for me as most of the stuff i didnt get, wasnt on there/was barely touched on...

edit; and it will be a lot of HSW, being the last exam in your a level course. we're meant to be beyond "learn and churn" now.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by hahaff
I HATE AQA BIOLOGY if i ever find out who wrote this exam then MAD
i feel as though my uni chances have been badly damaged due to this exam
hoping chem5 is better but this is aqa so it probs wont happen

grade boundaries anyone i think same as last year or a bit lower

No way. 62% is way too high for an A for this years paper, it was awful. Last years paper was piss easy compared to this atrocity.
FML screwed that one up! I must have missed at least 15 marks out, then of course there's all those questions I've obviously got wrong too! I really wanted an A :frown: meh, I'm just disappointed I didn't finish.

The essay question was nice though!! I did the cycles one and wrote about the cardiac cycle from Biol1, cell cycles-mitosis and meiosis from Biol2, Calvin Cycle, and the carbon cycle from Biol4, oestrus cycle from Biol5 then randomly wrote some crap about the water cycle to show 'outside knowledge' not that it was particularly good knowledge or anything.
Reply 2627
true, i left 5 for the end. 9 and 5 were on different level. i think the examiner thought hes writing exam for university!
Reply 2628
In the cycles essay when I was talking about the cell cycle I wrote about how in Synthesis stage of interphase DNA and histone protiens are replicated, then said histone proteins are associated with dna to form chromatin, and abit later said that small sections of the cytoskeletion called centrioles are used to mobolise the spindle fibres pulling apart the chromosomes during nuclear divison.

Will this be counted as outside the spec as we dont learn about the cytoskeleton, centrioles or histone proteins I dont think???
Original post by hahaff
i put 100 0 0 to for the percent couldnt think of anything else and ur rite the essay was good :smile: hoping grade boundaries are low so i can have a chance of getting a good grade
questions 9 and 5 were :mad::angry: questions

Same I put 100 0 and 0. I mean the two 0's must have been right. And I saw no other way to calculate the percentage for the first one. They can't expect us to miraculously pull some ****ing equation out of our asses to relate to the graph. This isn't a maths test.
Reply 2630
they ectos.
Anyone else notice APART from the essay that that exam was SYNOPTIC AS ****, i saw so many questions asking for specific unit 1, 2 and 4 knowledge(last 4 marker **** you)
Original post by Gemma2010
where we meant to know what plantlets or callus were? I never heard of them, so I didn't even know what to put - though you needed all of them :rolleyes:

it tells you what plantlets and callus was in the question

ideally i would have gone for plantlets and callus bu that didnt happen sp i said only plantlets. if it grows leaves as well its using energy on growing leaves and would probably grow smaller/less numerous plantlets. i hope.
Reply 2633
Original post by 4089
true, i left 5 for the end. 9 and 5 were on different level. i think the examiner thought hes writing exam for university!

which ones were these?
Facebook page yet?
No way. 62% is way too high for an A for this years paper, it was awful. Last years paper was piss easy compared to this atrocity.

yes u r rite they shud be lower
mayb about 25 for an A* :biggrin: and ill be well chuffed
Gosh I think I might have lost lots of marks in the essay.
I wrote about:

DNA discovery
Structure
Recombinant Dna
Genetically modified crops
( Productivity, yield, resistance and possibility of plants to be able to produce plastics (in the future)
/animals ( production of hormones anti throbin,vitamin A, resistance to disease) /microorganisms ( vaccines and use in the industry)
Gave various example for all of them.

Cure of diseases such Alzeihmer's and Cystic fibrosis ( I wrote a paragraph on how dna recombinant helps patients diagnosed with cystic)

then I wrote about.
Bacteria Powered batteries
and use of dna techno
in Forensic science.

and jumped to the ethical parts

Arguments for and against( a full page of them)
My own opinion at the end in the conclusion

BUT I FORGOT to talk about stuff like PCR,IN VITRO, VIVO,finger printing.

:frown:

KILL ME
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 2637
for cycles i wrote about: calvin, krebs, predator-prey, nitrogen (and wrote some **** about how knwledge of this is useful for farmers :P), menstrual, mitosis, carbon, synapses and cardiac! almost ran out of time!
Original post by RodrigoB

Original post by RodrigoB
loved that exam I had so much stuff to write about that I ran out of paper YEAH. those questions on restriction mapping were a flop for me tho. Thank God they were only worth few marks = HALLELUJAH

Its about quality my friend, not quantity. Glad u found it okay though
Same I put 100 0 and 0. I mean the two 0's must have been right. And I saw no other way to calculate the percentage for the first one. They can't expect us to miraculously pull some ****ing equation out of our asses to relate to the graph. This isn't a maths test.

yep i agree i hated that exam couldnt think of anything else but to put 2 zeros

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending