The Student Room Group

AQA BIOL5 Biology Unit 5 Exam - 22nd June 2011

Scroll to see replies

Reply 2640
Original post by heather04
I put 75% 0 0 because the second curver was at 2 at one hour as well =/
For the lysosome question I wrote that lysosomes have enzymes for when the the body is broken down? Feel so stupid now xD
For the ratio I put 5:1 but I have no idea where the second mark is coming from!

Goodbye Chester :') Haha

your point about lysosomes sounds right to me :smile:
Original post by joyce996
OMG I HATED THE PAPER. Either it was bad or i'm just stupid :frown: I didn't want to do the DNA essay cause my DNA stuff was all muddled up, I did cycles instead, but I only did 3. I hope it's alright though :s-smilie:

I got 5:1 for my ratio, Did anyone else get that? :s-smilie:
and i got 100% 0% 0% idk why, i just did. AHHH. That paper felt like a unit 4 paper, it was all about application which is what it's supposed to be but still! I thought there'd at least be a few things that were straightforward.

I think i'm just dumb in biology then,

I got 100, 0, 0 too !!

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?sk=group_219192354782279
Join :P
Reply 2642
5- mapping
9- i cant even remember what it was asking?
Reply 2643
I feel like AQA violated me. ):
Original post by Ally451
In the cycles essay when I was talking about the cell cycle I wrote about how in Synthesis stage of interphase DNA and histone protiens are replicated, then said histone proteins are associated with dna to form chromatin, and abit later said that small sections of the cytoskeletion called centrioles are used to mobolise the spindle fibres pulling apart the chromosomes during nuclear divison.

Will this be counted as outside the spec as we dont learn about the cytoskeleton, centrioles or histone proteins I dont think???

I don't think so. We learn about histones and centrioles. So I doubt it'll count. I did the same essay and I mentioned Rubisco and something about photorespiration which I hope might get me a mark. I also mentioned apoptosis being controlled by the mitochondria though I'm pretty sure I spelt it wrong. Maybe that'll get me another mark. I hope so. But all in all, essay was great and far better than expected but the actual exam was terrible. Why were they asking about AS stuff? It's a ****ing A2 UNIT 5 exam. What's with the ****ing synoptic ****? I can understand it on the essay but not whole questions on it.
I was so happy that I'd resat Unit 1 and 4 :') Some of those questions were stupidly synoptic
Reply 2646
What was that question on partial digest of the DNA ??
Also just so people know, for the question where they asked for the percentage for nervous stimulation of gastric juice the first one was 80%. I'm sure it was because for hormonal control it was at 2 and for nervous control it was at 8. So 80%. Not 100% sorry.
That mapping question may have well been written in Greek or some ancient language. WTF honestly. That 2nd question on the restriction mapping page actually made me laugh because it was so ridiculous.
Reply 2649
Original post by tehsponge
That mapping question may have well been written in Greek or some ancient language. WTF honestly. That 2nd question on the restriction mapping page actually made me laugh because it was so ridiculous.

What was the question again...!?
Original post by parallal
I feel like AQA violated me. ):

It did. The mighty AQA phallus raped us all.
Original post by Rickesh
What was that question on partial digest of the DNA ??

It showed a plasmid they'd put DNA in I think and then used to restriction enzymes to digest it.. That was so complicated, some people in my exam left that double page blank :|
Original post by Rickesh
What was the question again...!?

It was something like: "What is signified/symbolised by the DNA strand being 'very large'?" or something. I just wrote: "That it has a lot of bases."
Original post by strawberry_cake
Exam was terrible :/ there were so many little topics which i had been over but not bothered about too much and concentrated on the big stuff like impulses nerves muscles etc. And what comes up? The frikkin one line worth of topic in revision guides!!! Damn AQA! :mad: im so worried and upset now and really demotivated for chem..what a waste of revision :/ i did cycles essay, i wrote about resp, PS, carbon and nitrogen cycle..i mentiomed about insulin and glucose but didnt know whether that was a cycle so wrote it briefly and now regret not writing more! Hope the cycles are enough though otherwise fail :frown: I couldnt think of anything to do with AS and so wrote a quick paragraph on water into plants. Didnt have time so mentioned transpiration and predator pray cycle in my plan, hopefully theyll mark that too...Also, i wrote about haemoglobin and how it associates and dissociates O2, will that count as cycle? And in the essay could we write CO2 rather than carbon dioxide? Thanks :smile:

I know chemical mediators only gets like 1/5 a page in the revision guide! and siRNA and transcription factors :frown:
Reply 2654
Original post by heather04
It showed a plasmid they'd put DNA in I think and then used to restriction enzymes to digest it.. That was so complicated, some people in my exam left that double page blank :|

That doesn't make sense?? What was the actual question??
Reply 2655
Original post by Gemma2010
where we meant to know what plantlets or callus were? I never heard of them, so I didn't even know what to put - though you needed all of them :rolleyes:

Hehe underneath the table it told you what they both were. Took me a good few looks before I spotted them. Would of been much better to have the information above the table, but yeah it's AQA.
Original post by choc1234
essaY was good!
questions were awful
i put 100% 0 0 lol what an idiot!
didnt understand any of the pupa stuff/lysosomes etc
and probs got 0 on the restriction mapping!
:frown:
hopefully essay made up for it need an A!

wasnt 100% 0 0 right because the volume wasnt as a percent it was in numbers, so it was 100 % right???? !!
Reply 2657
What did everyone put for that stupid hormone question...how they target different cells or something like that? And how they travel to their target cells ??
Original post by Scrubby
Also just so people know, for the question where they asked for the percentage for nervous stimulation of gastric juice the first one was 80%. I'm sure it was because for hormonal control it was at 2 and for nervous control it was at 8. So 80%. Not 100% sorry.

Ah that makes sense. How did I not notice that :s-smilie: /facepalm
Original post by EavieQu
What did people put as their outside knowledge in the Cycle Essay??

I put about the water cycle... and briefly touched on life cycle as outside of spec knowledge :s-smilie:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending