The Student Room Group

AQA BIOL5 Biology Unit 5 Exam - 22nd June 2011

Scroll to see replies

Reply 2820
Original post by sumsam
me toooo :smile:

Well I thought that mean conc. of RNA is decreasing at start because RNA was being used for protein synthesis to help growth of pupa. Then ad it got older RNA conc. increased as less was being used as it was almost an adult pupa.
Reply 2821
Original post by sumsam

Original post by sumsam
as long as you wrote good...im pretty sure thats more than enough...would have helped if you did a physiological process like cardiac i think but you should still get 20/25

I went into loads of detail i think.. (i did unit 4 in june :tongue:), so i wrote about each stage of the calvin cycle, with rubisco enzymes and NADPH and stuff.. and also in as much depth for respiration + all the ammonification stuff for the nitrogen cycle
Original post by WJM
Right im confused about the question where it asked you which ratio of growth medium or somthing like that you would use to grow plants using tissue culture, The only square with just plantlets in was with the ratio 50:10 so i therefore put 5:1, But there was test where they used 5:1 ratio but there was no effect ? was it because there wasnt enough ? but surely the ratio is the same ? hmmm

- i got that and so did loads of people dont know why but think its right
Reply 2823
What did everyone get for the question about how many cuts a restriction endoneculase makes.
Reply 2824
Original post by sumsam
my thoughts cos i need to get it out my system....

WHERE WAS UNIT 5?! there was SOME references ... but that 4 marker on enzymes and some other questions i probably could have answered without doing revision at all! it was guess work :frown: and i HATED the restriction mapping one...was already weak on that subject so not surprised i missed out 3 questions or so :frown: :angry:

BUT the essay made up for it. i wrote 5 cycles: carbon/muscle/calvin cycle/DNA replication and cardiac cycle. anyone else write 5 paragraphs and left it at that? cos some of my friends somehow wrote 7/8 CYCLES :eek::eek:

hope all of yours went well. and if i fail...which i probably will...then atleast i'll help the grade boundaries to be low for us so it wont be THAT bad :smile::redface:

I did 10 cycles :tongue: had over an hour spare after answering all the questions, can't hurt to show what ya know, I hope :tongue:
Original post by saradoll17
the cycle question was a godsend, but me being the idiot i am missed out cell cycles D: i ended up writing about krebs,nitrogen,predator prey,carbon,menstrual and light independant

the rest of the paper was a total failure, i couldn't remember half the stuff and some questions...the iguana and body temp one? why did rate of o2 increase?!

i hope the grade boundries somehow save me...

cause temp increased and hence rate of respiration will increase hence more oxygen uptake..also bout enymez work better at higher temp
Original post by fsaeed20
What did everyone get for the question about how many cuts a restriction endoneculase makes.

2 cuts
Reply 2827
Original post by Kirushan

2 cuts

yeah same
Reply 2828
Original post by T.S
guys what do u think grade boundaries will be like?

same as last year?

or higher/lower?

I think pehaps higher, first papers always seem to have lower grade boundries. Though a lot of people seem annoyed at the lack of bio5 content, so if a big enough fuss is made it may influence them to drop it slightly.
Reply 2829
Is it only me who feels stupidly thick when they come on TSR after an exam? :frown:
Reply 2830
Original post by ceeebs
Is it only me who feels stupidly thick when they come on TSR after an exam? :frown:

no i do too! haha, luckily TSR only make up like 5% of the people that took the exam :tongue:
Reply 2831
Original post by M | k e
I did 10 cycles :tongue: had over an hour spare after answering all the questions, can't hurt to show what ya know, I hope :tongue:

woah....you have some mad skills :wink:
Reply 2832
Original post by ceeebs

Original post by ceeebs

me too :frown:
words cannot express how much i hate AQA
Reply 2833
Original post by Boo!xx
I think pehaps higher, first papers always seem to have lower grade boundries. Though a lot of people seem annoyed at the lack of bio5 content, so if a big enough fuss is made it may influence them to drop it slightly.

make a facebook group? :tongue:
Reply 2834
AQA have such a record of making biology papers with HSW questions all over the place though - is anyone really surprised we got this?

It could definitely have been a nicer paper, and after all I learned about muscles/neurones etc, I was annoyed we didn't get a question on that, but honestly, my main reaction was "oh, so they've given us a load of graphs again" rather than "omg those bitches i hate this paper".

But anyway, does anyone know if giving examples of genetically engineered crops (like Golden Rice, which I went into specifically (thankyou CGP revision guide!)) would be enough for breadth of knowledge? It was pretty much the only thing I got in that could be, since I kinda got into panic "just write as much as possible" mode for the essay and didn't think tactically.
Reply 2835
cause temp increased and hence rate of respiration will increase hence more oxygen uptake..also bout enymez work better at higher temp

YAY! :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:
Reply 2836
Original post by Benevolence
Yes! I put 80% also.

Me too! yay one mark :smile:
Original post by ceeebs

Not at all. i'm about to get my dunce cap out from the cupboard.
Reply 2838
Original post by CatieW
AQA have such a record of making biology papers with HSW questions all over the place though - is anyone really surprised we got this?

It could definitely have been a nicer paper, and after all I learned about muscles/neurones etc, I was annoyed we didn't get a question on that, but honestly, my main reaction was "oh, so they've given us a load of graphs again" rather than "omg those bitches i hate this paper".

But anyway, does anyone know if giving examples of genetically engineered crops (like Golden Rice, which I went into specifically (thankyou CGP revision guide!)) would be enough for breadth of knowledge? It was pretty much the only thing I got in that could be, since I kinda got into panic "just write as much as possible" mode for the essay and didn't think tactically.

Breadth is just down to how many units you include i believe
words cannot express my hatred for aqa hoping somehow the grade boundaries save me

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending