The Student Room Group

AQA BIOL5 Biology Unit 5 Exam - 22nd June 2011

Scroll to see replies

Original post by llamalad200
what the was that one about hormones? it was worded really strangely and it confused me. like it said describe how hormones affect differently? it was something like that. what did people write?

what the hell?! siRNA?! the smallest little chunk of the entire chapter 16 and there was a whole question on it! damn it!

I haven't checked the book yet but I think hormones affect target cells hwith complementary receptors and local cell mediators or whatever they're called (histamine, prostaglandin etc.) affect all proximal cells regardless.

Could be wrong though.
Original post by Gemma2010
maybe that is for the 2nd mark. but even if there were ACh in the postsynaptic the impulse is only unidirectional due to the receptors

Also, wouldn't acetylcholine being broken down enforce unidirectionality? :smile:
Reply 2942
Original post by Scaudwell

I haven't checked the book yet but I think hormones affect target cells hwith complementary receptors and local cell mediators or whatever they're called (histamine, prostaglandin etc.) affect all proximal cells regardless.

Could be wrong though.

I said hormones affected all cells with the receptor, and these cells could be in different regions of the body. but local chemical mediators only affected cells in the local vicinity..

and for the next bit, i wrote hormones were transported in the blood plasma, but local chemical mediators were produced on site by the cells, (e.g. prostaglandins produced by damaged cells at site of injury), so dont need mass transport

Could be wrong though.

I put hormones bring about a chemical response eg.. activating a transcriptional factor or something, where as chemical mediators bring about a physical response.. eg.. swelling of arterioles and increased blood flow, but that was a guess too.
Original post by mkb230
I have high hopes for Chem 5 though, I find it a lot easier than Chem 4 and Biol 5. Inorganic chemistry = keeps me happy. The 12 mark questions on the different colours is a bit ridiculous though. If only I could go back in time to year 11 when I was picking my AS levels, I would have picked something like History or Psychology instead of crappy Biology.

I dropped history lowest of my grades and hardest out of biol , chem and geography seriously
Original post by neo-apollo
I put hormones bring about a chemical response eg.. activating a transcriptional factor or something, where as chemical mediators bring about a physical response.. eg.. swelling of arterioles and increased blood flow, but that was a guess too.

Some hormones bring out a physical response though eg Testosterone and increased hair production
Good work guys :wink: I said some of those things also. What are we thinking for grade boundires?

Essentially';

140/140 UMS = ???? It was 76/100 last year
A = ?
It was quite nice getting "It's the circle of life" into my essay on cycles.
Reply 2948

I dropped history lowest of my grades and hardest out of biol , chem and geography seriously

I should have dropped history. It was SO hard... :frown:
Reply 2949
Original post by SarahTM
*interrupts*
Psychology is pretty crap too :wink:

Yes but at least I can get a decent grade in it and it is classed as a "soft" science.
Some hormones bring out a physical response though eg Testosterone and increased hair production

like i said, i completely winged that one...
Reply 2951
Original post by SarahTM
I'm downing a bottle of vodka pre results. 5am. Then I'll be able to manage :smile:

Good idea, just come back from a night on the town
what did everyone put for the about the weird protein, calliphoren or something like that? And why it can become adult proteins? Such a horrible paper! Needed an a, just hoping for low grade boundaries! I thought june 10 was hard but this was ridiculous apart from the essays!
Reply 2953
Original post by cheekymon999
Did nobody do the DNA essay? i thought that was a beaut! made up for the stupid questions on this essay that hardly related to this unit!

I did the DNA essay! Reading through this thread it looks like few people did...
Reply 2954
Probably (Guess) because they can hydrolyse that calliphorin and assemble new proteins from the amino acids given, given that the gene is expressed.
Original post by Rickesh
What did you put for the question that said why hydrolysis and condensation reactions are important in the protein synthesis?
I said that hydrolysis is needed for ATP which releases energy to make the proteins, and condensation is needed because it joins the amino acids together to form a peptide bond?

Hydrolysis is needed to break the peptide links between the already formed amino acids and DNA strands, ATP is not required for the construction of proteins.
Condensation I put the same as you. :smile:
Reply 2956
FML.
Original post by mkb230
Yes but at least I can get a decent grade in it and it is classed as a "soft" science.

Ditto. I do it also :biggrin:
Easiest out of my subjects. But the most boring.
Original post by jamest92
Good idea, just come back from a night on the town

Yes :biggrin:
Although I won't be 18 for another week after that... I'm the baby of the year :tongue:
Reply 2959
Original post by bluepanda123

Original post by bluepanda123
what did everyone put for the about the weird protein, calliphoren or something like that? And why it can become adult proteins? Such a horrible paper! Needed an a, just hoping for low grade boundaries! I thought june 10 was hard but this was ridiculous apart from the essays!

I put you could form different proteins from calliprofen, coz its made of a chain of different amino acids, which when broken down, could be arranged differently to produce different proteins

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending