The Student Room Group

Question spotting for F585 Economics The Global Economy OCR A level June 2011

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Hits1
Doesn't really matter in terms of quantity, quality is key! In terms of 10 marks aim to get 2 points max 3 FOR and 3 Against and also a nice diagram!

20.. go crazy.

I'm not sure if they're looking for diagrams though...pretty much more analysis rather than diagrammatic...unless of course they ask for one

as for you 20 marker method....ditto.....just vomit economic terms onto the page :biggrin:
Original post by xChelsea
What diagrams could you use for trade.
Don't knw many..

simple supply and demand diagram will do

increased supply (from integration and liberalisation), shifts supply to the right, prices fall :wink:
also loss of consumer welfare due to tariffs ^^

Really struggling for evaluation on everything, balanced argument will give you 15 marks out of 20, but you need more to get 20 marks!
actually struggling for extra 5 marks on everything! Spose elasticities are good
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 503
What diagrams could you use for trade.
Don't knw many..

Trade in terms of diagrams is limited but the ones which I would use specifically are trade creation/diversion ones and also when talking about Exports - AD diagram is sufficient. Also if talking about the long-run benefits of international trade you can use an LRAS as countries are benefiting from lower import prices for improved technology, capital stock, labour migration, and so on...

If the question was more on development try and use economic theorists as this will gain you top L3 Analysis marks... and maybe trade creation/diversion diagrams
What does it mean by ' the viability of the monetray union' thnks :smile:
Reply 505
Discuss the factors that affect compeitiveness in Euro region and internationally (20)

Pointers/plans/ ideas would be hugely appreciated... got mark scheme so your own idea :P
Reply 506
Original post by Tariq_3458

basically if its sustainable/unsustainable as the extract suggests it is unsustainable for the PIIGS to remain a part of the monetary union....
Original post by Tariq_3458

viability as in, effects...possibility of collapse? should it continue etc etc
Someone explain to me what the hell is doha round? lol
Reply 509
Original post by viksta1000
I'm not sure if they're looking for diagrams though...pretty much more analysis rather than diagrammatic...unless of course they ask for one

as for you 20 marker method....ditto.....just vomit economic terms onto the page :biggrin:

Well diagrams, and this may sound ridiculous but it separates you from an english student to an economics one. The question may not directly ask for one, however if you put one in where you can, then stick it in! It'll most likely gain you analysis marks and shows the examiner you do understand the question etc... imo
Reply 510
Original post by nini27
Hello :smile:

Can someone help find the benefits of Spain's generous welfare system please :smile: .
Apart from high Consumption, I cannot find anything! :s

maybe the fact that it creates a multiplier effect? Makes the inequality of the distribution of income less so social and economic consequences of unemployment is lessened... It doesn't make gdp fall too much, AND it doesn't make things like crime increase too much, which is just another thing that needs to be invested in to fix anyways.? lol...not really sure what else :smile:
Original post by Elponchis_LOL

In nut shell
negotiations-promote trade liberalisation-fell through :biggrin:

Its just the new set of trade negoitations for WTO memembers. It has a focus on developing economies and trade liberalisation. I basically continues on from the Uruaguy round.
thankyou ha!
Any other notes i can look at? did tutor2u notes twice, did tutor2u presentation notes once, tuto2u toolkit notes, Anything else?
Original post by Hits1
Well diagrams, and this may sound ridiculous but it separates you from an english student to an economics one. The question may not directly ask for one, however if you put one in where you can, then stick it in! It'll most likely gain you analysis marks and shows the examiner you do understand the question etc... imo

fair point...I'll be sure to take my ruler :biggrin:
Reply 515
For a 10 marker do i come to a conclusion?
Reply 516

It's the current negotiation rounds of the WTO where leaders of countries meet in the aim of reducing trade barriers around the world. The problem is these recently halted in 2008 due to them being able to agree.

I think one of the main issues was one of tariffs on agriculture products entering the EU.
viability as in, effects...possibility of collapse? should it continue etc etc

i dont get it :s
could u expand on it more plzz
Reply 518
In addition can you say that
- free trade will esentially create economic growth but not nessecarily development as growth is only one aspect of development.

Problems:
- Need a level playing field - e.g. E.U still imposed a restriction of health and safety laws to Bolivian Brazil nut producers meaning they couldn't export to the E.U.
- Depends how wealth is distributed - Often kept in hands of few people.
- LDC's often have corrupt governments with no interest in promoting development.
- Trading blocs such as E.U often divert trade from low cost producers(LDC's) to less efficient ones within the trading bloc.

However, you could give an example of how Germany and particularly China have developed so well as they have huge export markets although China still have a relatively low GDP per head.

That is a really good point! haha, i didn't pick up on that at all! Even though we shouldve learnt that too... (my teacher for this section wasn't very good)
Thanks! they were all awesome points. By the way, do you know why Germany and China in particular are doing o well? thanks :smile:
Reply 519
In nut shell
negotiations-promote trade liberalisation-fell through :biggrin:

Damn you get straight to the point haha :tongue:

Quick Reply