The Student Room Group

Question spotting for F585 Economics The Global Economy OCR A level June 2011

Scroll to see replies

Reply 520
Original post by viksta1000
yeah you're a meanie :wink: I think you should think more carefully about how you phrase things in future :tongue:

I wasn't saying that you were wrong either. I was applauding you on displaying more counter arguments :biggrin:

see ^ :smile:

lol, okie, just sounded like you thought i was saying you were wrong or something! i genuinely love this thread though, :smile: it's like so much help! and everyone is being really helpful :smile: thanks!
Reply 521
Original post by mqt
That is a really good point! haha, i didn't pick up on that at all! Even though we shouldve learnt that too... (my teacher for this section wasn't very good)
Thanks! they were all awesome points. By the way, do you know why Germany and China in particular are doing o well? thanks :smile:

Thanks haha.
And mainly because of how price competitive they are and they're very efficient (low prices)

You could probably say many of the decisions made by the ECB benefit the likes of Germany and France which is why they're dominant.
Reply 522
Original post by ajayhp
surely for free trade to happen means that the EU has to give up their common external trade policy?

Yep, you're right... But they are in a free trade AREA...lol... but yeah...it's stil distorting prices I guess having a common external tariff
Reply 523
Original post by Tariq_3458
What the hells dependency theory :/ !

Basically that developing countries are too reliant on developed nations, and their reliance on primary production.
and their dependence on international financial institutions (IMF), World bank, WTO which are dominated by developed economies.

It claims that developed economies make it difficult for developing countries to sell their products to them on fair terms and the investment they make in developing countries and the aid they give does not promote economic development. In addition the high debt that developing countries owe to Western financial instituions is also seen as hindering their economic growth and development.

BASICALLY western imperialism hinders rather than helps...
Reply 524
lol this thread was only about 10 pages this time yesterday
i dont get it :s
could u expand on it more plzz

basically, its asking for the pros and cons
e.g. Germany are a booming economy, but fiscal transfers in ECB regulation means that their tax revenue is paying for the debts of economies in recession...you think Germany appreciate that? I think not....how long before they get pissed off and bail?

that's the kind of thing they're after with this question

Original post by xChelsea
Damn you get straight to the point haha :tongue:

The economic world is fast paced, waits for no one, gotta step on the gas and speed up or get out of the car baby :cool:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 526
i dont get it :s
could u expand on it more plzz

Is the Monetary Union sustainable in the long-term, just mention 'in theory' a monetary union is good because....

However.... as the extract shows this hasn't happened... its unsustainable and the recent Greece bailouts are a great example!
basically, its asking for the pros and cons
e.g. Germany are a booming economy, but fiscal transfers in ECB regulation means that their tax revenue is paying for the debts of economies in recession...you think Germany appreciate that? I think not....how long before they get pissed off and bail?

that's the kind of thing they're after with this question

The economic world is fast paced, waits for no one, gotta step on the gas and speed up or get out of the car baby :cool:

Oh pros and cons.. yh i get that
yh blud u get to the point liek that !
Original post by Hits1
Basically that developing countries are too reliant on developed nations, and their reliance on primary production.
and their dependence on international financial institutions (IMF), World bank, WTO which are dominated by developed economies.

It claims that developed economies make it difficult for developing countries to sell their products to them on fair terms and the investment they make in developing countries and the aid they give does not promote economic development. In addition the high debt that developing countries owe to Western financial instituions is also seen as hindering their economic growth and development.

BASICALLY western imperialism hinders rather than helps...

get it
sfe for that man !
Oh pros and cons.. yh i get that
yh blud u get to the point liek that !

is that not how it should be though? or would you prefer me telling you about my daily activities before getting to the economics? :biggrin:

Good Luck for tomorrow....blud :wink:
Reply 530
get it
sfe for that man !

all hood bro
this thread is to gangsta for me.
Reply 532
Effect of exchange rate on price competitiveness ...anyone??
is that not how it should be though? or would you prefer me telling you about my daily activities before getting to the economics? :biggrin:

Good Luck for tomorrow....blud :wink:

lol u too man
Reply 534
I thought i knew but i got myself confused ...AGAIN! always have trouble with this,

but can someone explain to me why in the Euro Zone, the currency can't depreciate to correct it's balance of payments problems pls! :smile:
Reply 535
Original post by toontoon1
For a 10 marker do i come to a conclusion?

Yehhh a couple of sentances will do the job!
Did ireland and Spain have negative real interest rates which led to housing booms, inflation was higher that interest rates so people could take out more loans etc.. some **** like that :s
this then made them overheated/inflationary pressure ?
Anyone understand me lol
because majority of trade is with the rest of euro zone due to trade creation and diversion. You cannot depreciate the exchange rate because its fixed with other EU members, lowering exchangerate will have exact same effect on every other country in EU
Maybe? to mqt
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 538
Original post by xChelsea
Thanks haha.
And mainly because of how price competitive they are and they're very efficient (low prices)

You could probably say many of the decisions made by the ECB benefit the likes of Germany and France which is why they're dominant.

Thanks! :smile: Would you say it's a bad idea to literally read this whole thread and just comment and read things on here is a bad way to revise lol...right now i'm really getting things that people are saying and explaining to me, but i'm worried i'll forget by tomorrow!:P :smile::biggrin:
Original post by Tickles
Effect of exchange rate on price competitiveness ...anyone??

First things first....cutest username I've seen on TSR :smile:

sooo many factors that will determine competitiveness alongside exchange rate

high exchange rate = expensive exports = become more uncompetitive

high exchange rate = cheaper imports = cheaper capital goods = better investment = increased productivity = increase in competitiveness

See how high exchange rates can have two affects? it depends on other factors too :wink:

low exchange rate = cheap exports BUT more expensive imports, so raw material costs could rise, in which case output costs would rise and hence exports costs could still rise (even though theoretically they should fall) = become more uncompetitive
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending