The Student Room Group

AQA BIOL5 Biology Unit 5 Exam - 22nd June 2011

Scroll to see replies

Reply 3120
for the essay i chose the cycles and talked about; nitrogen, carbon, calvin, krebs (although i dont think i explained it enough, instead i did a diagram) then i don't know if it was right because at the time i thought it was i wrote about synapes because acetylcholine was regenerated and stored for future use..and because its almost the same for neuromuscular junction for muscle stimulation so i linked it to muscle contraction.. i don't know if the last two are cycles though but i made sure that its linked it to the question about ending of a cycle leading to a new cycle.. would those be enough? I didn't include any topic from AS or outside knowledge about water/life cycle as most people mentioned... :|
Original post by ApplePi
I put this too.

The protein can be broken down (by hydrolysis) and the constituent amino acids can be recombined in a different order to give a new protein.

I put exactly that. Word for word. :borat:
can we set up a poll as to what ppl think grade boundaries are gonna be?
Original post by animal*nature
http://www.facebook.com/home.php?sk=group_219192354782279

guys join if you thought you deserved a better paper!

Look, dude, I hardly think you can be bitching so much about this paper being too difficult considering you're a member of "Saying the entire alphabet because you can't remember what letter comes next" on facebook
Original post by woods.vanessa
I wrote about the Oestrous, Calvin, Nitrogen, Carbon and (briefly about) the Cell Cycle!
6 pages ! I hope I do well in the essay to make up for the paper :frown:

What about Kreb .. and muscle contraction, and action potential?
Reply 3125
I cant believe that when someone explains the answer to a question so clearly on here, that people still argue with them and say that their answer is correct.

for example:
As several people have explained the answer to the percentage gastric juice question was 80% 0,0. It asked for the values at 3 times , 1 hr after , 2hrs after and 3 hrs after. It then asked for the percentage of the gastric juice proudced by the nervous sytem. At 1 hr after, the total gastric juice produced was 10 (whatever units of volume say m^3) This value of 10 was the volume produced by nervous - 8 and hormonal -2. Therefore the percentage produced by the nervous is 8/10X100=80%.

at 2 and 3 hrs, all of the gastric juice present was produced by the hormonal response, if you remember, the nervous peaked, then the hormonal after, therefore % proudced by nervous was 0 at both.

I hope i have explained this clearly.
Obviously the question was poorly worded as per usual by aqa and the graph was difficult to relate too.
Do you know if they mark essay plans? i did the cycles one as we practiced that for homework (thank god)
i talked about: PCR, krebs, calvin, nitrogen and cardiac cycle
but in my plan i listed loads and made a few notes on each but just didn't have enough time to write about them ><

overall, rubbish paper, like many people i spent ages revising for glucose, synapse, muscles etc and barely any of that came up! fingers crossed for low grade boundaries ^^ stupid AQA!
Reply 3127
Original post by LordSputnik
I put exactly that. Word for word. :borat:

:top:
Reply 3128
I only wrote about 3pgs-i write to slowly-qs were ok-what did people put for the hormone and local mediator qs how they effect cells in different ways?
Reply 3129
Original post by sarahlovesleon
really worried as i did the dna essay question, did what everyone else seems to be talking about but i thought the whole point is that its synoptic? i just did chapter 16 of unit 5, tried to talk about bases being complementary and tried to talk about proteins in protein synthesis but didn't mention anything from unit 4, only thing i mentioned from unit 2 was chromosomes ugh

i feel a wee bit better seeing your comment...thing is right, it said 'uses in science' - that could surely mean uses in science, as in the biology within our bodies...so, i thought that it could mean that you write about semi-conservative replication and a little on protein synthesis as well as gene technology etc - it's supposed to be synoptic, so i hope that AQA dont just want stuff about chapter 16, cuz boy have i messed my life up if that's what they're looking for :frown:
Original post by mia613
i feel a wee bit better seeing your comment...thing is right, it said 'uses in science' - that could surely mean uses in science, as in the biology within our bodies...so, i thought that it could mean that you write about semi-conservative replication and a little on protein synthesis as well as gene technology etc - it's supposed to be synoptic, so i hope that AQA dont just want stuff about chapter 16, cuz boy have i messed my life up if that's what they're looking for :frown:

Same I didn't talk as much as i could've on stuff from chapter 16. :frown: Why didn't i choose cycles !!?! :confused:
Original post by mia613

I only wrote a bit about DNA structure and discovery for the intro and then i talked about benefits of recombinant DNA uses: GMM,GMP,GMA, bacteria powered battery, cure of genetic diseases, Use in forensic science ( PCR) ,Ethics issues,my own view. I gave like 3 consistent examples for each GMO benefits and one for the cure of genetic diseases (cystic fibrosis) I ran out of paper writing all that stuff. NOW, GOD, if you are right about the synoptic stuff I am screwed.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 3132
Original post by xelaman
I only wrote about 3pgs-i write to slowly-qs were ok-what did people put for the hormone and local mediator qs how they effect cells in different ways?

I thought the question was how do they reach their target cells?
Reply 3133
Original post by RodrigoB
GUYS I got 37 raw marks in the ISA , roughly, How many UMS will I get ?

http://web.aqa.org.uk/UMS/ums_converter_a2.php?id=04 This is good for that.
Reply 3134
what did people write for the one about the iaa travelling on the shaded side. i cant remeber the question
The examiner marks the essay plan if you write something in it that you don't put in the essay. So for example, if you're planning on writing about Krebs, Carbon and Nitrogen cycles. And write a detailed plan with bullet points, but don't manage to write about nitrogen cycles. The examiner will mark Krebs and Carbon, then look at your plan, giving you marks for any detailed enough information.

Although I agree, it wasn't a very nice paper. With a lot of questions which I could answer in my head easily but struggled to express. However, this was a fair paper. It contained some easier questions, and some that were much harder.

The essays were fair, the DNA one perhaps not as much so, but the 'cycles' one was a gift. I think the 'breadth of knowledge' marks will not rely upon you hitting 3 modules, but more hitting a number of different topic areas.

Anybody who says it wasn't based on Unit 5. Well, a large proportion of it was. I've got to admit, I expected more topic to be on the paper. However, the specification (and recent examiners report) state that this paper is around 40% synoptic. It should be expected that they'll throw some freaky Unit 1/2/3 stuff at you!!

AQA do act up with their exams sometimes, and this was no exception. BUT the grade boundaries are always lowish, and therefore I'd expect that most people will have done ok on it!
Reply 3136
Original post by animal*nature
http://www.facebook.com/home.php?sk=group_219192354782279

guys join if you thought you deserved a better paper!

why is the group like that? wish someone would make a "page" they might get more likes :rolleyes:
Reply 3137
Original post by xelaman

Hormones go into blood stream once secreted via glands, and travel widespread around the body binding to specific receptors on target cells. And chemical mediators are secreted from cells and have a more localised affect only affecting target cells around them.
Reply 3138
Original post by M | k e

Original post by M | k e
Hormones go into blood stream once secreted via glands, and travel widespread around the body binding to specific receptors on target cells. And chemical mediators are secreted from cells and have a more localised affect only affecting target cells around them.

That was the second part of the qs-the first part was related to thier action once they reach the cell :frown:
Original post by bonbon22cc

overall, rubbish paper, like many people i spent ages revising for glucose, synapse, muscles etc and barely any of that came up! fingers crossed for low grade boundaries ^^ stupid AQA!

I so agree with you. But having said that, the paper wasn't that bad. At least this unit is better than crappy ecology in unit 4.

Which essay did you choose? :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending