The Student Room Group

AQA BIOL5 Biology Unit 5 Exam - 22nd June 2011

Scroll to see replies

Reply 3180
Original post by fretter778
If you wrote your essay well, it should be obvious. I started my intro with something like 'Cycles are found in nearly all aspects of biology....'. Take a guess which one I did.

i guess that does narrow it down for the examiner a little... thanks haha
Reply 3181
for the underside of the leaf i just put there are more stomata so more uptake lol
Reply 3182
i reckon i got around 55 raw marks
any chance of an A?
Original post by JeevesFTW
Wait... Is it asking about the effect of temperature on the uptake into the underside of the leaf, or about why the underside takes up more regardless of temperature?

wag1 pum
Original post by choc1234
for the underside of the leaf i just put there are more stomata so more uptake lol

what bout writing bout thick waxy cuticle on upper layer of leaf?
Original post by Black Butler
Thanks. I couldnt see why at first the the under side of the leaf is much more sensitive to temperature increase. I left it out and went back and something clicked from AS biology.

do you think answers along the lines of water loss/stomata open can also be considered right ? Cos Stomata pores must be first opened so that IAA can diffuse into the leaves and ultimately have its effect on cells right ?
Original post by Kirushan
what bout writing bout thick waxy cuticle on upper layer of leaf?

lol I wrote diffusion pathway was larger on the upper layer than on the lower lol
Did anyone else see a problem in the question about percentage concerntration of gastric juices by nervous stimulation after 1, 2 and 3 hours? The graph was non exsistant after 1 hour so I didn't see how that worked unless it is a mistake.

Otherwise, the paper was a bitch but the essay was beautiful. Was no way near as bad as unit 4. Whoever marks my paper will hate me as I wrore 6 pages on cycles in biology
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by RodrigoB
do you think answers along the lines of water loss/stomata open can also be considered right ? Cos Stomata pores must be first opened so that IAA can diffuse into the leaves and ultimately have its effect on cells right ?

Sorry does IAA get taken up by leaves through the stomata ??? gtg
lol I wrote diffusion pathway was larger on the upper layer than on the lower lol

I also went for that... I'm guessing IAA moves by diffusion? Nothing mentioned in my book
Original post by Purple_Plume
Did anyone else see a problem in the question about percentage concerntration of gastric juices by nervous stimulation after 1, 2 and 3 hours? The graph was non exsistant after 1 hour so I didn't see how that worked unless it is a mistake.

Otherwise, the paper was a bitch but the essay was beautiful. Was no way near as bad as unit 4. Whoever marks my paper will hate me as I wrore 6 pages on cycles in biology

Answer was : 80% 0% 0%

ye i wrote the same beh related it to thick waxy cuticle on upper epidermis of leaf increases diffusion pathway
Original post by Kirushan
ye i wrote the same beh related it to thick waxy cuticle on upper epidermis of leaf increases diffusion pathway

plz shut the **** up.
ok so in the essay i chose to write about DNA, and talked about DNA structure to introduce, then Gene technology and how DNA was fragmented and cloned (with specific examples).

I discussed genetic engineering and transgenic organisms & how they're useful for humans and used in industry for enzyme production etc.

Don't know if i really want to ask this question, but after this i bullet pointed other paragraphs - Genetic fingerprinting etc (i know this isn't really allowed) because i had questions still to do in the paper and was panicking, so:
Am I completely screwed?

Easy to say I came out of that exam completely glazing!
Thanks. I couldnt see why at first the the under side of the leaf is much more sensitive to temperature increase. I left it out and went back and something clicked from AS biology.

Ah right. I read the question wrong. God damn.
Sorry does IAA get taken up by leaves through the stomata ??? gtg

Well I assumed it does lol The question said Scientist sprayed IAA on the leaves..
so to get through the cuticle and into the leaves , the only way would be a stomatal pore ?!
Reply 3196
you know the question about the behaviour of the lupas or whatever they were,
was it just asking about kineses and how that results in them having a greater chance of returning to an environ (in this case, lower temp) with more favourable characteristics??
Answer was : 80% 0% 0%

Why!? Looked more like 100% to me o.O Pointless question though really, don't you think?
Original post by JeevesFTW
Ah right. I read the question wrong. God damn.

knobcheese?
Original post by Purple_Plume
Why!? Looked more like 100% to me o.O Pointless question though really, don't you think?

trick question biaaaccchhh.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending