The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by JB Johnstone
So as a part of my job I have to deliver leaflets from door-to-door, advertising the cafe I work in plus the owner's pizza shop. I enjoy doing it - the pay for this part isn't great (3p a door....) but I get good exercise, the area is really nice, plus I listen to sermons and grow spiritually while doing it.

God has really put it on my heart - why am I so ready to try and sell coffee door to door than I am to offer people eternal life. I think I am going to buy some tracts to post through people's doors, along with the leaflets. Just wondering if anyone has any recommendations? I want something solid and convincing, but not pushy or rude. I was thinking something like this - http://www.goodnewstracts.org/product/663575731177
since this is one of the main ways I have been evangelising on the streets (when I actually have done, which is not enough imo)
or even something apologetic like this - http://www.goodnewstracts.org/product/663575729075

Anyone know any good companies in the uk?

I love the second one. The first feels too much like 'Here's christ, please excuse me whilst I try and make you choke on him/bible basher. i.e more likely to be scorned and ignored

but what do I know, what is irritating to me, may be perfect for another.
Original post by rainbowbex
Oh in other exciting life news, I cycled 35miles in the last two days (it was within 24hrs from leaving yest, and returning today) :biggrin:

EDIT: Oh yes, and I also have a question. I noticed recently that whenever some people at church get together all they ever talk about is the bible and God stuff. It kinda upset me actually because it I was basically ignored last night, like it was assumed I wouldn't want to get into a conversation like that. And that's not entirely true, I do want to talk about those things, but I also want to share life with these people like jokes and stuff. I dunno, have you ever been with people and literally just not known what to say to them. (something which is rarely a problem for me - I'm a chatterbox!) It's leaving me in a bit of a conundrum... I find myself feeling torn about my church.. I don't want to be there for them, and my closer friends my age, at the church, are leaving.. (I'm surprisingly upset about one of them, I've mentioned before - I feel like I'm not allowed to be though because people think we're more than friends..we're really not) But some of the non-student contingent are amazing, and I feel like they spend time with me because they actually want to, rather out of courtesy (the impression, I suddenly realised I get from some of my church group)

And I have to spend momentum with them now too...fffffffuuuu

Cheers for the rep :awesome: :hugs: :colone:

That sounds really difficult :console: Is it not possible to avoid the people who won't talk to you and just hang out with the amazing non-student contingent instead?

It's a shame your friends have felt the need to leave. I hope other people's perceptions of you and the friend you'll miss in particular don't spoil your friendship :smile:
I would be very impressed if anyone managed to locate me on facebook... I did successfully stalk polarity about a year ago now though.. so he's clearly not impossible! But I knew, Uni and University subject (and that he's black helped too, picture wise) I don't know if I had his name at this point. I sent him a hilarious (imo) coded message to see if this random guy was in fact polarity! haha

Seriously. Bet none of you can find me.

I'll take that challenge on when TSR searching works for me again :wink: I've found someone who I think is Polarity, but without sending random messages (which is a bit too far for me!), I haven't yet confirmed it.

Oh in other exciting life news, I cycled 35miles in the last two days (it was within 24hrs from leaving yest, and returning today) :biggrin:

EDIT: Oh yes, and I also have a question. I noticed recently that whenever some people at church get together all they ever talk about is the bible and God stuff. It kinda upset me actually because it I was basically ignored last night, like it was assumed I wouldn't want to get into a conversation like that. And that's not entirely true, I do want to talk about those things, but I also want to share life with these people like jokes and stuff. I dunno, have you ever been with people and literally just not known what to say to them. (something which is rarely a problem for me - I'm a chatterbox!) It's leaving me in a bit of a conundrum... I find myself feeling torn about my church.. I don't want to be there for them, and my closer friends my age, at the church, are leaving.. (I'm surprisingly upset about one of them, I've mentioned before - I feel like I'm not allowed to be though because people think we're more than friends..we're really not) But some of the non-student contingent are amazing, and I feel like they spend time with me because they actually want to, rather out of courtesy (the impression, I suddenly realised I get from some of my church group)

I guess it might just be because they have no other common ground to talk about? I never really know what to say [to anyone], so I know what it's like! I would guess everyone else feels the same way, so they're sticking to a safe, easy topic.
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
Cheers for the rep :awesome: :hugs: :colone:

That sounds really difficult :console: Is it not possible to avoid the people who won't talk to you and just hang out with the amazing non-student contingent instead?

It's a shame your friends have felt the need to leave. I hope other people's perceptions of you and the friend you'll miss in particular don't spoil your friendship :smile:

Anytime :smile: That's just it, it's not one person, it's a group of people. I feel like I have nothing in common with them, and I don't wish to do either them or myself a discourtesy, but I have ended up feeling included out of courtesy's sake, rather than because I'm actually wanted, especially considering the effort the guy goes to to assure me that he wants me around/enjoys my company. Like literally to the point where I've been ignoring him cos I feel awkward and he's just gone 'HI BEX!' as I try and walk past. The friends leaving are going because they are graduating.. and happen to be my closer ones for the most part. I think I am mostly posting because I wanted to talk to this about someone not directly involved.

Original post by dreiviergrenadier
I'll take that challenge on when TSR searching works for me again :wink: I've found someone who I think is Polarity, but without sending random messages (which is a bit too far for me!), I haven't yet confirmed it.
I guess it might just be because they have no other common ground to talk about? I never really know what to say [to anyone], so I know what it's like! I would guess everyone else feels the same way, so they're sticking to a safe, easy topic.

haha you can PM me if you want to ask me to say if you think you've found me.. I can confirm polarity for you as well.

It could be that except they all seem to get on fantastically with each other, it's like I try so hard and people just walk in and are instantly accepted. Maybe I'm too much effort for them, always tired always grumpy. And maybe because I am just a boring person to them... but yes, lack of common interest I suppose. I can't berate them for not trying to get to know me better, when I'm stuck for anything to say... (I think also, when I say something, or retale a story of something I think is funny they just don't seem to get it. Shame!)
He was really lovely (though extremely talkative :biggrin: ). Turns out he was a mental health social worker before he got the call to the priesthood, so he knows all about depression and psychosis. He seems really supportive. He said not to worry about where the religious voices come from (he thinks it's illness rather than anything else) but to go with the flow with the positive ones and ignore the evil ones :yes:

Sounds like a REALLY positive session for you :yep:

Oh, and I forgot to say thanks for the prayers for my dad yesterday. Took him a while to get discharged but he's back at home and seems in good spirits :smile:

Yay that is fantastic news!

Ahhh yeah I get that sometimes. Everyone of course makes an effort to talk and be inclusive cos it's Church family, but there are just some people who you know better and get on better with! Have you thought about suggesting you all go out for lunch or something after Church and then in a more informal setting you might all loosen up and get to chat and find out you have more in common than you thought?
haha you can PM me if you want to ask me to say if you think you've found me.. I can confirm polarity for you as well.

It could be that except they all seem to get on fantastically with each other, it's like I try so hard and people just walk in and are instantly accepted. Maybe I'm too much effort for them, always tired always grumpy. And maybe because I am just a boring person to them... but yes, lack of common interest I suppose. I can't berate them for not trying to get to know me better, when I'm stuck for anything to say... (I think also, when I say something, or retale a story of something I think is funny they just don't seem to get it. Shame!)

I'm pretty convinced I've found you :biggrin:
Reply 4886
The great thing about being a Christian studying theology is that you can justify pretty much anything as work. :awesome: I was meant to be reading for an essay tonight, and instead I ended up having a chat with my neighbour about the nature of the Bible (i.e. "How can it be 'true' if there's so much that doesn't make sense?").

'Course, I'm no closer to finishing my reading tonight, but that totally counts as finals revision for my scripture papers ... right?
I would be very impressed if anyone managed to locate me on facebook... I did successfully stalk polarity about a year ago now though.. so he's clearly not impossible! But I knew, Uni and University subject (and that he's black helped too, picture wise) I don't know if I had his name at this point. I sent him a hilarious (imo) coded message to see if this random guy was in fact polarity! haha

Seriously. Bet none of you can find me.

Bet I could :awesome:
The great thing about being a Christian studying Medicine is..... it's occasionally interesting :awesome:
Thinking of applying for a credit card so I can book flights to the US for next summer before the price goes up.
Spent the morning researching visas and stuff - why does all of it have to be so confusing? I might just go into the embassy in London while I'm there next month and have a wee chat with them.

On a related note - Lord willing I'm going to the US next summer. So excited! :smile:
Original post by dreiviergrenadier
I'm pretty convinced I've found you :biggrin:

Inbox me then (with who yu think I am!)

Original post by Calumcalum
Bet I could :awesome:

Inbox me when you've got me then!
Thinking of applying for a credit card so I can book flights to the US for next summer before the price goes up.
Spent the morning researching visas and stuff - why does all of it have to be so confusing? I might just go into the embassy in London while I'm there next month and have a wee chat with them.

On a related note - Lord willing I'm going to the US next summer. So excited! :smile:

Sounds lovely! Urgh visas, taxes, insurance, contracts...now I'm at uni I'm finding this whole world of adult stuff which I'm clueless about and it's very dull!
My last exam tomorrow.
Original post by greeneyedgirl
Sounds lovely! Urgh visas, taxes, insurance, contracts...now I'm at uni I'm finding this whole world of adult stuff which I'm clueless about and it's very dull!

It is so confusing!
I don't think I need a visa because I am going for less than 90 days, but I think I might need to get a new passport before I go because it expires next October (2012) and I want to go next summer and my mom said something about not being able to travel within 6 months of its expiry. Ugh.

ugh, travel insurance. What if I just try really hard not to die?
My friends will be teaching me how to drive there, will be epic.
It is so confusing!
I don't think I need a visa because I am going for less than 90 days, but I think I might need to get a new passport before I go because it expires next October (2012) and I want to go next summer and my mom said something about not being able to travel within 6 months of its expiry. Ugh.

ugh, travel insurance. What if I just try really hard not to die?
My friends will be teaching me how to drive there, will be epic.

Yeah I think Australia, America those kinda places need passport with a long time on in case you end up staying cos "oops, my passport ran out" :angel:

Ha ha it'll be odd for you learning to drive in states then coming back here and driving, car will be wrong way round!
Yeah I think Australia, America those kinda places need passport with a long time on in case you end up staying cos "oops, my passport ran out" :angel:

Ha ha it'll be odd for you learning to drive in states then coming back here and driving, car will be wrong way round!

Haha, yeah, but so much easier (not to mention cheaper!) than getting lessons here!

I don't think it should matter about the passport as long as my 90 days visa tourist thing expires before my passport does. I can't find anything about it on the directgov website, I don't want to spend £80 extending mine if I can help it!
Haha, yeah, but so much easier (not to mention cheaper!) than getting lessons here!

I don't think it should matter about the passport as long as my 90 days visa tourist thing expires before my passport does. I can't find anything about it on the directgov website, I don't want to spend £80 extending mine if I can help it!

Best thing to do is probably talk to someone and ask...websites have a way of hiding the important information, and you don't want to have booked flights etc and then not be able to fly!
Best thing to do is probably talk to someone and ask...websites have a way of hiding the important information, and you don't want to have booked flights etc and then not be able to fly!

http://www.fco.gov.uk/en/travel-and-living-abroad/travel-advice-by-country/north-central-america/united-states;jsessionid=ABBE1900EEE7D96678D56E6DF0C6967F.tomcat1

So I won't need a new passport. Praise the Lord! :smile:
I might just pop into the embassy when I'm in London anyway. For the lolz.
http://www.fco.gov.uk/en/travel-and-living-abroad/travel-advice-by-country/north-central-america/united-states;jsessionid=ABBE1900EEE7D96678D56E6DF0C6967F.tomcat1

So I won't need a new passport. Praise the Lord! :smile:
I might just pop into the embassy when I'm in London anyway. For the lolz.

:woo: that's good news!

Do it! I've never been in an embassy
:woo: that's good news!

Do it! I've never been in an embassy

I'm afraid too much Borne will overcome me.

Latest

Trending

Trending