The Student Room Group

AQA - Unit 5 - Energetics, Redox and Inorganic Chemistry

Scroll to see replies

Original post by choc1234
theres barely any synoptic in unit 5 chem ! its not like bio lol
i dont think there was any in the jan11 paper
i probs wont revise any synoptic

Yeah, I think it's just AS periodicity and energetics that could come up. They usually have all the synoptic stuff in Chem 4.
Reply 421
anyone got the jan 11 paper please?
Reply 422
does anyone have answers to the NT book?
hey guys, good luck for the exam on friday
just have a little question to ask, if anyone could help, i would be grateful! :smile:

in redox reactions, when do you know when to flip one of the half equations around, when combining? because in some cases one is flipped, in other cases they are combined like a normal redox equation, and i'm confused as to how this comes about... thanks!
Reply 424
Original post by Rapidfire8
hey guys, good luck for the exam on friday
just have a little question to ask, if anyone could help, i would be grateful! :smile:

in redox reactions, when do you know when to flip one of the half equations around, when combining? because in some cases one is flipped, in other cases they are combined like a normal redox equation, and i'm confused as to how this comes about... thanks!

you only reverse the reactions when looking at spontaneous cell reactions , meaning , to see if they are feasible the question will usuallly specify by saying spontaneous or feeasible.
you dont flip them aroound when your looking for a overall reaction
Reply 425
Original post by Willyg11
6+ for Cr2O72-

3+ for 2Cr3+ but counts as +6 due to the '2'

don't understand your last question

sorry where does 6e- come from i knw its silly que. but this is the only bit :confused:
Reply 426
Original post by jimmy303
It's used when there isn't a solid involved.

E.g. Zn2+(aq) + 2e- ---> Zn(s)

doesn't need platinum as it has a solid (Zn) which acts as the electrode so it becomes:

Zn(s)|Zn2+(aq) ||

However,

Fe3+(aq) + e- ---> Fe2+(aq)

there is no solid involved here so a platinum electrode is needed to transfer electrons, and the cell becomes:

Pt | Fe2+(aq), Fe3+(aq) ||

So if you see a half cell equation with no solid involved, chuck in platinum :smile:

It can be left or right depending on if the half cell without the solid is more negative or more positive, and can appear on both if neither half cell involves a solid as it does with the hydrogen fuel cell:

Pt|H2(g)|OH-(aq), H2O(l) || H2O(l) | O2(g), OH-(aq)|Pt

Hope this helped :redface:

I thought this "Pt|H2(g)|OH-(aq), H2O(l) || H2O(l) | O2(g), OH-(aq)|Pt" should be.. Pt|H2(g)|OH-(aq), H2O(l) || O2(g) | H20(l), OH-(aq)|Pt
Because the O2 is in a different phase to the water and hydroxide...
Or maybe im wrong :biggrin:
Reply 427
Original post by ben10
does anyone have answers to the NT book?

there you go http://www.thomas-reddington.com/chemistry-answers.html
unit 4 n 5 enjoy
Original post by ben10
you only reverse the reactions when looking at spontaneous cell reactions , meaning , to see if they are feasible the question will usuallly specify by saying spontaneous or feeasible.
you dont flip them aroound when your looking for a overall reaction

thanks man :biggrin:
so just judging by the question, i should be able to know?
Reply 429
thanks man :biggrin:
so just judging by the question, i should be able to know?

yes . it wil say either
overall reaction ( where you dont flip)

or find the spontanoues cell reaction/ is this reaction feasible / wil a particular species oxidise/reduce somthing ( this is where u flip)
Is everyone just memorizing the tons of equations from chapter 15/16? Cos I don't know what else to do about them. :p:
Reply 431
Original post by al_habib
sorry where does 6e- come from i knw its silly que. but this is the only bit :confused:

Start with: Cr2O72- -> 2Cr3+ (Cr's balanced)

Balance oxygens by adding 7 H20 to right

Balance Hydrogens by adding 14 H+ to the left

The charge on the left is +12, the charge on the right is +6, so to make it +6 on both sides, add 6e- to the left, giving:

Cr2O72- + 14H+ + 6e- -> 2Cr3+ +7H2O

Hope this helps:smile:
Reply 432
can some one explain to me how to find the charge outside the bracket, {Cr(NH3)6}3+ ?

for {Cr(OH)6}3- i guess cr is 3+ and OH is -6 :. 3-6=-3 am i right?
Original post by Sparkly-Star
Is everyone just memorizing the tons of equations from chapter 15/16? Cos I don't know what else to do about them. :p:

I was thinking that, do we really have to remember every single one? :frown:
Reply 434
Original post by Willyg11
Start with: Cr2O72- -> 2Cr3+ (Cr's balanced)

Balance oxygens by adding 7 H20 to right

Balance Hydrogens by adding 14 H+ to the left

The charge on the left is +12, the charge on the right is +6, so to make it +6 on both sides, add 6e- to the left, giving:

Cr2O72- + 14H+ + 6e- -> 2Cr3+ +7H2O

Hope this helps:smile:

nice one
I was thinking that, do we really have to remember every single one? :frown:

I guess so. So many to remember. :cry2:
Reply 436
Any tips on how to achieve an a* in this unit!!
Reply 437
Original post by al_habib
can some one explain to me how to find the charge outside the bracket, {Cr(NH3)6}3+ ?

for {Cr(OH)6}3- i guess cr is 3+ and OH is -6 :. 3-6=-3 am i right?

Yes, each OH has a charge of -1......

NH3 doesn't have a charge, Cr has charge of 3+ on this occsion but can have 0, +2, +3 and +6.
Do we need to know specific details of the fuel cell? I just read over it. =/
Reply 439
Original post by Ebony_x
I thought this "Pt|H2(g)|OH-(aq), H2O(l) || H2O(l) | O2(g), OH-(aq)|Pt" should be.. Pt|H2(g)|OH-(aq), H2O(l) || O2(g) | H20(l), OH-(aq)|Pt
Because the O2 is in a different phase to the water and hydroxide...
Or maybe im wrong :biggrin:

I thought the same thing but let it slide since how I wrote it is how it was stated in the Jan 10 mark scheme.

I've looked into it and I can't find a single mention of the conventional representation of a hydrogen fuel cell anywhere in any text book or online source :confused: Don't know if it's an AQA mess up or we're missing something.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending