The Student Room Group

AQA BIOL5 Biology Unit 5 Exam - 22nd June 2011

Scroll to see replies

Reply 3240
Original post by choc1234
is everything else wrong then?

for the sexual reproduction question,
i think meiosis was key
so i think you were a bit too basic but its AQA so you could still get the marks
don't know if its right but i talked about independent segregation and crossing over of chromatids producing diffrent combinations of alleles so different characteristics so more variability

don't stress yourself out though - all the people on here don't represent all people who took the exam
Reply 3241
you thought this was hard - OCR unit 5 chemistry was nothing like this
Reply 3242
hey could someone reply to my previous post
would be really appreciated
thanks
Reply 3243
con someone run through all the answers for the IAA / NAA question
and the pupa question thanks
i think i got zero marks in these 2 lol and restriction mapping.

i did too! i think. actually ended up guessing 75% of the paper!
Reply 3244
for the cylces i wrote
cardiac
krebs
calvin
predprey
nitrogen]
carbon
oestrous
cell cyle
muscle cont
homeostasis
in detail
9pages
but nothing outside the syllabus
can i still get 25 marks
ireally need toas i completely failed the questions
only the essay can save me now as i need an a overall :frown:
Reply 3245
Original post by lou12
i did too! i think. actually ended up guessing 75% of the paper!

what mark did u need to get an A overall
Original post by lou12
will anyone be doing an unofficial ms?

we could really use this! I would do it if I had a copy of the paper! If anyone can get hold of the paper it'd be appreciated :biggrin:
Reply 3247
anyone :frown:
Reply 3248
what did people put for the electrophoresis question, i put that they can predict the number of bases by electrophoresis as the dna fragments move according to size, and they can compare these with known size fragments alongside, did eni1 else write something like that
Original post by cws121
what did people put for the electrophoresis question, i put that they can predict the number of bases by electrophoresis as the dna fragments move according to size, and they can compare these with known size fragments alongside, did eni1 else write something like that

Yeah I wrote along those lines and that you compare the distance moved with know distances of DNA fragments of known sizes. I hope it's right! :smile:
Reply 3250
I didn't think the exam was that bad. The questions themselves were rubbish, and I hated how they generally gave you all the knowledge you were meant to learn then it was all suggest (like siRNA). But the exam itself wasn't hard, I don't think (we'll see on results day!). I did the DNA essay. Wrote about DNA replication, PCR, gene probes, recombinant DNA, gene therapy, genetically modified plants, genetic fingerprinting for both in crime and to see how closely related people were, gel electrophoresis (but very briefly, thought it didn't really do much in science and tech and it's used in genetic fingerprinting anyway), treatment of cancer and for extra knowledge mitochondrial DNA.
Original post by HollyGx
I didn't think the exam was that bad. The questions themselves were rubbish, and I hated how they generally gave you all the knowledge you were meant to learn then it was all suggest (like siRNA). But the exam itself wasn't hard, I don't think (we'll see on results day!). I did the DNA essay. Wrote about DNA replication, PCR, gene probes, recombinant DNA, gene therapy, genetically modified plants, genetic fingerprinting for both in crime and to see how closely related people were, gel electrophoresis (but very briefly, thought it didn't really do much in science and tech and it's used in genetic fingerprinting anyway), treatment of cancer and for extra knowledge mitochondrial DNA.

You are not alone!

I did DNA too, seeing it as the easier option...

I started off by talking about how PCR is so important as it allows us to clone a lot of strands of DNA from a single one and it can be computer automated.

Then I talked about genetic fingerprinting and discovering the amino acid and thus protein structure of stuff, mentioning the human genome project.

Then I talked about the two types of treatment for cystic fibrosis and within that vectors.

I finished up with 3 paragraphs about genetic modification and its uses - livestock, crops and micro-organisms.
anyone :frown:

I'm sorry that people have been ignoring you :/

Some of these questions have been adressed earlier on in the thread.

If you tell me what you would like to know, I will tell you :smile:
for the cylces i wrote
cardiac
krebs
calvin
predprey
nitrogen]
carbon
oestrous
cell cyle
muscle cont
homeostasis
in detail
9pages
but nothing outside the syllabus
can i still get 25 marks
ireally need toas i completely failed the questions
only the essay can save me now as i need an a overall :frown:

There is almost a 0% chance that you will get >22 marks.
The examiners are told to make it so that roughly 15% of the candidates get above 12 marks for scientific content, if you made no more than one mistake; then you could maybe get 14. 3 for breadth, usually they give 2 for both relevance and QWC and as you have so much I'd expect that. So probably at the most 20-22, hope that helped :smile:
Hi, to get an A overall for biology, I would need to get 53/100 raw marks or 92/140 UMS. This is based on the grade boundaries from the June 2010 paper. However, are the UMS marks always the same? For example, will 53 raw marks always be 92 UMS or can the amount of UMS marks for each raw mark increase? :/
Original post by gorillaz121
There is almost a 0% chance that you will get >22 marks.
The examiners are told to make it so that roughly 15% of the candidates get above 12 marks for scientific content, if you made no more than one mistake; then you could maybe get 14. 3 for breadth, usually they give 2 for both relevance and QWC and as you have so much I'd expect that. So probably at the most 20-22, hope that helped :smile:

Yes :smile: That was helpful :smile:

I completed the seemingly less popular Cycles question. I wrote about 5 and a half pages and discussed the following in great detail

- Oestrogen cycle

- Cardiac Cycle - (including Blood V adaptations, names of valves, tissue fliud etc...)

- Recycling of tRNA through Translation

- Muscle contraction - also the cyclling of Atp within this

- The transmission on a cholinergenic synapse (linked with muscles) focussing on the recycling of acetyl choline

- The Nitrogen cycle

- A brief outline of the neurone reflex (i.e. - receptor, sesnory neurone etc...)

I was just wonder what your thoughts were on the breadth and scientific content? I produced a detailed and lengthy account incorporating various aspects from all reached of the syllabus - even those less obvious, but all the more crucial ones :P

Original post by amysoolz
you know the question about the behaviour of the lupas or whatever they were,
was it just asking about kineses and how that results in them having a greater chance of returning to an environ (in this case, lower temp) with more favourable characteristics??

Which question do you mean? Do you mean the question about the iguanas? I don't remember the pupa being linked to kineses and the environment.
Original post by Benevolence
Yes :smile: That was helpful :smile:

I completed the seemingly less popular Cycles question. I wrote about 5 and a half pages and discussed the following in great detail

- Oestrogen cycle

- Cardiac Cycle - (including Blood V adaptations, names of valves, tissue fliud etc...)

- Recycling of tRNA through Translation

- Muscle contraction - also the cyclling of Atp within this

- The transmission on a cholinergenic synapse (linked with muscles) focussing on the recycling of acetyl choline

- The Nitrogen cycle

- A brief outline of the neurone reflex (i.e. - receptor, sesnory neurone etc...)

I was just wonder what your thoughts were on the breadth and scientific content? I produced a detailed and lengthy account incorporating various aspects from all reached of the syllabus - even those less obvious, but all the more crucial ones :P

Hey, I did the cycles question too and I wrote about:

Respiration
Photosynthesis
Nitrogen Cycle
Carbon Cycle
Cell Cycle (mitosis and meiosis)
Oestrous cycle.

I forgot to write about the cardiac cycle and breathing, do you think this will matter? I put loads of detail into the rest and did 5 pages.
Original post by ragnarok9
Hi, to get an A overall for biology, I would need to get 53/100 raw marks or 92/140 UMS. This is based on the grade boundaries from the June 2010 paper. However, are the UMS marks always the same? For example, will 53 raw marks always be 92 UMS or can the amount of UMS marks for each raw mark increase? :/

Yes, the mark that equates to different UMS. It is all dependent on the national average. For example, because students generally found this paper difficult, it is quite possible that you shall need 6 marks less to get an A - potentially more/less - it's difficult to tell :smile:

You can be certain, if the majority of people on here are anything to go by, the grade boundires will be lower. I believe I got 140 UMS - I decided I was going to get that before I even went in there.

Anyway, I hope you've done reallly well :smile:
Original post by Flux_Pav
for the sexual reproduction question,
i think meiosis was key
so i think you were a bit too basic but its AQA so you could still get the marks
don't know if its right but i talked about independent segregation and crossing over of chromatids producing diffrent combinations of alleles so different characteristics so more variability

don't stress yourself out though - all the people on here don't represent all people who took the exam

i talked about this too. SCORREE!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending