The Student Room Group

Question spotting for F585 Economics The Global Economy OCR A level June 2011

Scroll to see replies

Reply 740
Original post by nik2111
yh at least 1 10 mark will be on fiscal stimulus cos its mentioned a lot in the extract
and
yh competivness but will be linked like discuss the extent to which the loose monetary setting lead to a fall in competiviness.

lol i just made that up but would the answer be inflation causing unit labour costs to go up?

and on the other hand it was borrowing that PIIGS were doing which leads to a negative mulipler when the money stops i.e spain and construction unemployment was high which meant productivity was low and unit costs went up?

what is a negative multiplier effect?
Reply 741
Original post by sarahharris
Go for it!

I agree it is not that important BUT it shows stellar evaluation if you can say why you do not trust the figures in the table!

Example:

Explain possible policies that country X may have followed to come out of the recession in ....'

Answer:

The policies they may have followed were....but the data shown by (name of source) shows that they did NOT come out of the recession and thus the policies must have taken time to work

any luck so far??
Can someone quickly tell me how to answer each question.. how the structures meant to be like
Reply 743
anybody know how and where j-curve comes into this??

andd the effect of inflation can't depreciate euro because it's fxed rightttt...???

confused.com!
Reply 744
Original post by deuces
what is a negative multiplier effect?

its when a fall in investment for example leads to a fall in AD and then a fall in unemployment which can lead to a fall in competiveness

so that one fall in investment lead to the effect being multiplied across the economy through to job loss's and competiveness i think something along these lines
Reply 745
Original post by nik2111
yh at least 1 10 mark will be on fiscal stimulus cos its mentioned a lot in the extract
and
yh competivness but will be linked like discuss the extent to which the loose monetary setting lead to a fall in competiviness.

lol i just made that up but would the answer be inflation causing unit labour costs to go up?

and on the other hand it was borrowing that PIIGS were doing which leads to a negative mulipler when the money stops i.e spain and construction unemployment was high which meant productivity was low and unit costs went up?

you would talk about interest rates and how they are too low, this caused the economy to grow for the PIIGS more than average, increased FDI from abroad, over heating of the economy and then this led to inflation. according to the PPP theory, inflation can be corrected by a devaluation in the exhnage rate, but ofc these countries do not have that option so instead the strain is taken on the real economy as jobs are lost. less workers means increased unit cost of labour and less output and then this would be a cause of the fall in competitvness. However, another reason would be the huge gov't debts, although not directly linked to the loose monetary policy, it is in that gov't has no other chpice but to borrown because they cannot exercise their monetary policy. increase debt would maybe lead to lack of consumer confidence thus decrease in AD?

lol is that right? and what else would you put?
Reply 746
Original post by Iram0105

andd the effect of inflation can't depreciate euro because it's fxed rightttt...???

confused.com!

im not sure its not the specification and the 20 mark question aint related to that and if its not in spec it wont be in the small questions and its got nothing to do with trade liberlisation so i dont think its vital to know cos im not 100 percent on it i might just leave it.
Reply 747
Original post by Iram0105

confused.com!

euro isnt fixed, its floating
Reply 748
fanx!
i'm sooo not with it..
must sleeeeep
Reply 749
Original post by rs91
you would talk about interest rates and how they are too low, this caused the economy to grow for the PIIGS more than average, increased FDI from abroad, over heating of the economy and then this led to inflation. according to the PPP theory, inflation can be corrected by a devaluation in the exhnage rate, but ofc these countries do not have that option so instead the strain is taken on the real economy as jobs are lost. less workers means increased unit cost of labour and less output and then this would be a cause of the fall in competitvness. However, another reason would be the huge gov't debts, although not directly linked to the loose monetary policy, it is in that gov't has no other chpice but to borrown because they cannot exercise their monetary policy. increase debt would maybe lead to lack of consumer confidence thus decrease in AD?

lol is that right? and what else would you put?

i think you could argue that increase in taxes will lead to competitivness to go down as compared to loose monetary policy setting

also wid the goverment debt i rekon firms will lose business confidence as they feel banks wont lend to this economy due to high debts and if banks are not confident in lending then competivnes in that economy will go down?
Reply 750
Original post by rs91
euro isnt fixed, its floating

is the euro fixed against other countries who use the euro/

and floating for other countries e.g. Austrailia
Reply 751
Original post by nik2111
i think you could argue that increase in taxes will lead to competitivness to go down as compared to loose monetary policy setting

also wid the goverment debt i rekon firms will lose business confidence as they feel banks wont lend to this economy due to high debts and if banks are not confident in lending then competivnes in that economy will go down?

increase in what taxes?
Reply 752
Original post by rs91
increase in what taxes?

corporation
Reply 753
Original post by deuces
is the euro fixed against other countries who use the euro/

and floating for other countries e.g. Austrailia

the euro isnt fixed at all its floating against other currencies, but it is 'fixed' in the sense that countries that are part of the euro cannot change/ devalue it. it is floating in the global market just that euro countries have no control over is devaluation, make sense?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 754
Original post by nik2111
corporation

i thought you asked about loose monetary policy, taxation is fiscal stimulus
For judgments, would you guys recommend just going, "[X] will cause [Y] because of [supporting evidence that doesn't just regurgitate what you've already written]" or something more like "I believe that [X] will occur because of [supporting evidence]"?

Also, what time is everybody planning on sleeping?
Reply 756
Original post by rs91
i thought you asked about loose monetary policy, taxation is fiscal stimulus

but a reason to suggest its not the loose monetary policy
Reply 757
Original post by rs91
the euro isnt fixed at all its floating against other currencies, but it is 'fixed' in the sense that countries that are part of the euro cannot change/ devalue it. it is floating in the global market just that euro countries have no control over is devaluation, make sense?

ahhh, that makes sense. i left positive rep, thanks for the clear explanation :smile:
Reply 758
Original post by Doughnuts!!
For judgments, would you guys recommend just going, "[X] will cause [Y] because of [supporting evidence that doesn't just regurgitate what you've already written]" or something more like "I believe that [X] will occur because of [supporting evidence]"?

Also, what time is everybody planning on sleeping?

i was planning to sleep very late, ie 4/5 then i can wake up about 11, i hate revising before the exam like on the actual day
Reply 759
Original post by nik2111
but a reason to suggest its not the loose monetary policy

oh yes then definitely

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending