The Student Room Group

Edexcel A2 Biology Unit 5 (6BIO5) - 22/06/2011- OFFICIAL THREAD !

Scroll to see replies

[QUOTE="VetApplicant2011;32398287"]
Original post by tophothari

retard

*lad.

haha aww!
Reply 2861
Original post by claire4095
There was 2 motor neurones :smile: i think B and C? or C and D forgotten now hehe.
For the blood vessel i put arterioles.

there were only 3 neurones though, one sensory, one relay and one motor? they wouldn't have one motor neurone synapsing with another neurone would they?! :s-smilie:
Original post by bertstare
ahhh fuks sake i totally forgot about transcription factors for that one. i def lose marks there and also for the final 4 marker i said

-caused by recessive allele
- drew the square thing and it was 1/4 chance the kid had double recessive
-talked about what a mutation was

could think what else to write though, what did everyone else put down?

and also for the comparison between plant hormones and animal hormones, wtf?? what points were there for that?

for the kid one i put about crossing over in the gamete cells :/
and hormones/plant chemicals i put both produces naturally by the organism. ermmm... both transported round the "body" in liquid eg blood or phloem and erm cant remember now lol :P you?
Original post by Meesta
The question that asks you to label a motor nuerone: there was only one motor nuerone that synapsed with the gill and the relay nuerone i thought!

what did people put for the 'small blood vessle in Q7?

what did people put for 1c? the structure of the membrane that allows conduction or something!

what did everyone get for the slow twitch in the ph 7 sensitivity Q? i put 0.95!

Hope i get atleast 70 UMS!

small blood vessel: I put arterioles (arteries have high BP but only arterioles are small)

1c) I think that was the question on the function of the myelin sheath? 4 marks?
- Provides electrical insulation, preventing impulse from escaping
- Speeds up conduction of impulse via saltatory conduction by setting up local currents between the nodes of ranvier, allowing the ions to 'jump' across
- Provides electrical insulation, preventing other impulses from escaping
- Can't remember the fourth mark (unless that's already enough)
I'm pretty sure I didn't pass this one. There were very few, if any answers where I was certain I knew the answer. I just ended up writing a whole bunch of waffle for the majority :\
Original post by Meesta
there were only 3 neurones though, one sensory, one relay and one motor? they wouldn't have one motor neurone synapsing with another neurone would they?! :s-smilie:

I think they wanted you to realise the cell body was in the dendrites for two of the neurones, making them both motor. There was one synapse and 1 sensory with the cell body in middle :smile:
Original post by Meesta

no they wouldnt, the middle one was a relay neurone.. I started this thing :L haha
Its just because I read (and reread) the question about ten times and came to the conclusion that it wanted you to tick a box for every letter (ABCD) I said that two of them were motor neurones, then drew a little note next to the relay one say I know this is relay but theres no option for it aha :smile:
Reply 2867
anyone know what the grade boundaries are...??

did you put mRNA splicing for one gene codes for several different proteins....
[QUOTE="VetApplicant2011;32398337"]
Original post by nadiaaraquel

i know right! bad times :frown: also, i know this sounds harsh but I know a lot of people who just didnt learn the whole respiration topic, they were just like meh cba il just lose a few marks its too much effort kinda thing.. and theyve pretty much got away with it :frown: Makes me angryyyyy :mad:

ahh I seee that is awful! I hate it when people do that, but then again they are the lucky few (or unlucky sometimes) I can't go into the exam without making sure that I have properly made sure I went over everything! even if irrelevant.
Especially with edexcel one can never be too safe.
ahhh fuks sake i totally forgot about transcription factors for that one. i def lose marks there and also for the final 4 marker i said

and also for the comparison between plant hormones and animal hormones, wtf?? what points were there for that?

i put:

- plants have auxin in them while animals does not
- animals use blood circultory system to carry chemical signal and hormone to target cell, while plants does not.
- plants are just weird, and if i have to study plants ever again in a biology course which i initially thought would be just about human and human physiology, i will most definitely strangle someone (or some plants)
Original post by Rothers
For 'compare animal hormones and plant hormones', was it alright to talk about the differences in the response time to hormones such as adrenaline in animals I.e it acts very quickly and plant hormones like iaa which acts much slower? Or were we supposed to talk about hormones that are slow like in plants e.g hormones that trigger puberty etc??

Just got this from my notes:

"Endocrine system in mammals chemical hormones from endocrine glands carried in the blood plasma around the circulatory system. Slower acting. Can control long term responses such as growth and sexual development. Some are involved in homeostasis such as control of blood sugar. Some can be relatively fast e.g. effects of adrenaline in response to stress. Response may be widespread or restricted to specific target cells

Tropisms in plants chemical growth substances e.g. auxins diffusing from cell to cell some may go in the plant transport system (the phloem). Slower acting. Controls long-term growth responses e.g. cell elongation. Response may be widespread, but normally restricted to cells within a short distance of the growth substance being released."

got this from my slug notes too, I really mucked this Q up:

"With repeated stimulation, Ca2+ channels become less responsive so less ca2+ crosses the presynaptic membrane
Less neurotransmitter is released
There is less depolarisation of the postsynaptic membrane so no action potential is triggered in the motor neurone"
looks like people are unsure about it. it was def better than unit 4 which was a mess, but do you reckon the boundaries will be higher than jan 11? in jan it was 64/90 for an A* in unit 5, was this harder or easier than that?
Reply 2872
Original post by VetApplicant2011
no they wouldnt, the middle one was a relay neurone.. I started this thing :L haha
Its just because I read (and reread) the question about ten times and came to the conclusion that it wanted you to tick a box for every letter (ABCD) I said that two of them were motor neurones, then drew a little note next to the relay one say I know this is relay but theres no option for it aha :smile:

yea same i did that :/

this paper was pointless i really hate edexcel's style of qs everything i wanted to come up DIDNT :frown: soo depressing
Original post by Assrarri

Yeah I said post trasnciptional changes such as mrna splicing where intorns are removed and exons are rejoined together ( the order that they join can be different at times or something like that )
Original post by Assrarri

I put differential exon arrangement after introns are removed ARGHHHH. the word splicing slipped out of my F'n mind in that exam! do you reckon i'll still get that mark?
Reply 2875
Original post by ecgbertpupils
small blood vessel: I put arterioles (arteries have high BP but only arterioles are small)

1c) I think that was the question on the function of the myelin sheath? 4 marks?
- Provides electrical insulation, preventing impulse from escaping
- Speeds up conduction of impulse via saltatory conduction by setting up local currents between the nodes of ranvier, allowing the ions to 'jump' across
- Provides electrical insulation, preventing other impulses from escaping
- Can't remember the fourth mark (unless that's already enough)

fair enough :biggrin: i lost a mark for the small blood vessel question then :P
i put:

- animals use blood circultory system to carry chemical signal and hormone to target cell, while plants does not.
- plants are just weird, and if i have to study plants ever again in a biology course which i initially thought would be just about human and human physiology, i will most definitely strangle someone (or some plants)

youd have thought they could just make ONE exam without any plants at all. but somehow they had to sneak in random ass topics about plants in a unit full of human biology
i put:

I think we should have all made that point, maybe then the examiners would have realised what an awful topic it is and given us loads of extra marks :smile:
Reply 2878

From what i can remember, both animal and plants hormonal systems are slow acting, both control long-term changes (e.g growth), travel in plants by osmosis through cells, travel in the blood with animals and some animal hormones are faster acting (e.g adrenaline).

For the runner A one i put that he became dehydrated, couldn't sweat to remove heat, thermoregulation failed. Not sure if it's correct though.

Blood vessels i put capillaries, i was sitting there for a fair while thinking about it, just for one mark aha.
Original post by Meesta
fair enough :biggrin: i lost a mark for the small blood vessel question then :P

sameee, recon we'l get a mark for capillaries? maybe if we have a nice examiner :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest