The Student Room Group

Edexcel A2 Biology Unit 5 (6BIO5) - 22/06/2011- OFFICIAL THREAD !

Scroll to see replies

Reply 2880
Original post by bertstare
looks like people are unsure about it. it was def better than unit 4 which was a mess, but do you reckon the boundaries will be higher than jan 11? in jan it was 64/90 for an A* in unit 5, was this harder or easier than that?

i would have thought that this one was easier than jan but more people 'waffled' in this one, the qs were harder except article qs and i made alot more silly mistakes in this one than i did in the mock (jan paper) i really hope grade boundaries are low :/
Reply 2881
any way :biggrin: anyone know when a mark scheme normally comes out? :biggrin:
Original post by microfatcat
Just got this from my notes:

"Endocrine system in mammals chemical hormones from endocrine glands carried in the blood plasma around the circulatory system. Slower acting. Can control long term responses such as growth and sexual development. Some are involved in homeostasis such as control of blood sugar. Some can be relatively fast e.g. effects of adrenaline in response to stress. Response may be widespread or restricted to specific target cells

Tropisms in plants chemical growth substances e.g. auxins diffusing from cell to cell some may go in the plant transport system (the phloem). Slower acting. Controls long-term growth responses e.g. cell elongation. Response may be widespread, but normally restricted to cells within a short distance of the growth substance being released."

got this from my slug notes too, I really mucked this Q up:

"With repeated stimulation, Ca2+ channels become less responsive so less ca2+ crosses the presynaptic membrane
Less neurotransmitter is released
There is less depolarisation of the postsynaptic membrane so no action potential is triggered in the motor neurone"

OMG!!! i totally guessed that. i put less neurotransmitter is released as repetition of stimuli continues. Depolarisation of post knob gradually decreases, hence eventually below the threshold - not enough to induce an action potential hence gill does not get withdrawn.
Reply 2883
Original post by VetApplicant2011
sameee, recon we'l get a mark for capillaries? maybe if we have a nice examiner :smile:

i don't know mate, i put that also but i doubt it :frown:
Reply 2884
Original post by microfatcat
Just got this from my notes:

"Endocrine system in mammals chemical hormones from endocrine glands carried in the blood plasma around the circulatory system. Slower acting. Can control long term responses such as growth and sexual development. Some are involved in homeostasis such as control of blood sugar. Some can be relatively fast e.g. effects of adrenaline in response to stress. Response may be widespread or restricted to specific target cells

Tropisms in plants chemical growth substances e.g. auxins diffusing from cell to cell some may go in the plant transport system (the phloem). Slower acting. Controls long-term growth responses e.g. cell elongation. Response may be widespread, but normally restricted to cells within a short distance of the growth substance being released."

got this from my slug notes too, I really mucked this Q up:

"With repeated stimulation, Ca2+ channels become less responsive so less ca2+ crosses the presynaptic membrane
Less neurotransmitter is released
There is less depolarisation of the postsynaptic membrane so no action potential is triggered in the motor neurone"

ah nice answer, yeah hopefully I got at least 1 or 2 for the hormones q, I was alright with the reason for why habituation happens, I learnt that quite well cus it wasn't in the past 2 papers for this unit so thought it was likely to come up, same with the spirometer practical, the other 2 core practicals have come up before so I figured it was spirometers turn! :biggrin:
Reply 2885
Original post by tophothari
I put differential exon arrangement after introns are removed ARGHHHH. the word splicing slipped out of my F'n mind in that exam! do you reckon i'll still get that mark?

yea i guess soo ....alot of people in my year wrote the same thing as you....
Anyway guys I'm off, got a long day tomorrow revising for chemistry :smile:. Good luck to you all with the rest of the exams!
Original post by VetApplicant2011
sameee, recon we'l get a mark for capillaries? maybe if we have a nice examiner :smile:

Capillaries are the points where the blood spreads out and bathes the surrounding cells, so the BP at these points are presumably very low and the blood simply trickles through, but arterioles are only a short while before that, so you might if you're lucky (and I'm wrong!)

Anyone know if an unofficial mark scheme is likely to come out anytime soon?
Reply 2888
FML im gonna go sleep so i can revise for chemistry tomorrow :frown:
Original post by Assrarri

goood! luck. I have that one too! 7th and last exam wohoo :smile:

im still learning most of unit 5 for the first time, caffeine pills on hand
Reply 2891
I would have thought i'd be arterioles, capillaries and venules... If i don't get a mark for capillaries when i crossed out arterioles i won't be happy xD
Original post by Rothers
ah nice answer, yeah hopefully I got at least 1 or 2 for the hormones q, I was alright with the reason for why habituation happens, I learnt that quite well cus it wasn't in the past 2 papers for this unit so thought it was likely to come up, same with the spirometer practical, the other 2 core practicals have come up before so I figured it was spirometers turn! :biggrin:

Nice one! I thought the hormone thing was doable to bluff - rambling and stating the obvious usually gets you somewhere.

And it wasn't my answer, something I copied from my notes just now - I totally failed:biggrin:
obtw did anyone write venous return/ stroke volume for the other way in which blood can increase other than heart rate?
Original post by tophothari
OMG!!! i totally guessed that. i put less neurotransmitter is released as repetition of stimuli continues. Depolarisation of post knob gradually decreases, hence eventually below the threshold - not enough to induce an action potential hence gill does not get withdrawn.

Nice one, I'm happy for you :smile: I wrote something vaguely similar:frown:
Reply 2895
Original post by nadiaaraquel
goood! luck. I have that one too! 7th and last exam wohoo :smile:

thanks you too

lol yea same finally !
Reply 2896
Original post by bertstare
im still learning most of unit 5 for the first time, caffeine pills on hand

how come...?
how come...?

just dont know any of it, have to learn it from scratch, done some of organic today and the rest tomorrow

i would have thought that this one was easier than jan but more people 'waffled' in this one, the qs were harder except article qs and i made alot more silly mistakes in this one than i did in the mock (jan paper) i really hope grade boundaries are low :/

It was much better than unit 4. I think I got a U in unit 4, while I think I got the exact opposite of a U in this unit lol.
Original post by jam277
It was much better than unit 4. I think I got a U in unit 4, while I think I got the exact opposite of a U in this unit lol.

i think he means compared to unit 5 jan

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending