Scroll to see replies

Reply 3280
Original post by UCAS.LOVER
i talked about this too. SCORREE!

yeahhh boyyyyy!
i really want 120UMS+ on this!!
Reply 3281
Original post by danny1312
Couldn't agree more to be honest with you, thought i was good at biology before this. Probably goodbye Newcastle Dentistry for us then :frown:

i know :'( i thought chemistry would be the subject to make me miss my grades! i need bang on a B in this paper to get an A in biology but ahh im so worried i've massively ****ed up! how did you find it??
Reply 3282
Original post by -Iffy-
gah! I can't stop thinking about that pupa question and how i royally messed it up, damn you time restrictions. Btw people who did cycles for the 25 mark essay, what breadth of knowledge did you add in?

i did cardiac, mitosis, N cycle, C cycle, predator-prey, calvin, krebs, menstrual and synapses.. then ran out of time! aaah
I did the essay question for cycles, and it seems many people spoke about cycles but very few answered the question. Essentially it was 'discuss cycles in which a product from cycle A starts cycle B'.
Original post by MessyRoom
I did the essay question for cycles, and it seems many people spoke about cycles but very few answered the question. Essentially it was 'discuss cycles in which a product from cycle A starts cycle B'.

I think you're wrong there :P From what I remember it was something like this: "cycles are a series of processes in which the product A is also the reactant for the cycle. Discuss cycles in biology." It was obviously worded differently, but that's the general idea. Hence the question just said discuss cycles and the first sentence was just extra info...
Original post by platty1907
I think you're wrong there :P From what I remember it was something like this: "cycles are a series of processes in which the product A is also the reactant for the cycle. Discuss cycles in biology." It was obviously worded differently, but that's the general idea. Hence the question just said discuss cycles and the first sentence was just extra info...

Ah yesh. Well I went down the A to B, B to C route. Digestion, absorption, respiration, homeostasis.

Then I realised I had nothing on plants, so I jammed in chemical fertiliser->leeching.

So if we look at what people have put:
Respiration - the products are reused in later stages or at the start
Nitrogen Cycle - nitrogen is reused
Carbon Cycle - carbon is reused
Cell Cycle - products from replication are used for further replication.. Counts as a cycle :]
menstrual cycle - Corpus Leuteum from FSH release stimulates another release and then a degeneration stops the chemical...
I think that counts :smile:
And finally photosynthesis. Light dependent replaces electrons lost in initial, carries NADPH to the light independent as well as ATP.

So what out of them aren't cycles? :smile:
Reply 3287
Ah yesh. Well I went down the A to B, B to C route. Digestion, absorption, respiration, homeostasis.

Then I realised I had nothing on plants, so I jammed in chemical fertiliser->leeching.

I wouldn't call digestion a cycle :/
Reply 3288
Original post by SarahTM
So if we look at what people have put:
Respiration - the products are reused in later stages or at the start
Nitrogen Cycle - nitrogen is reused
Carbon Cycle - carbon is reused
Cell Cycle - products from replication are used for further replication.. Counts as a cycle :]
menstrual cycle - Corpus Leuteum from FSH release stimulates another release and then a degeneration stops the chemical...
I think that counts :smile:
And finally photosynthesis. Light dependent replaces electrons lost in initial, carries NADPH to the light independent as well as ATP.

So what out of them aren't cycles? :smile:

They are all cycles
Reply 3289

A cycle is just that. So any cycle you talked about would fit that criteria. The essay itself just said 'Write an essay about cycles in Biology.' With some definition of a cycle beforehand.
I guess so idiots didn't write about any process thinking it was a cycle.
Reply 3290

I hope by respiration you just mean kreb's. I guess you could link H20 made at the end to H20 in photolysis, but that's one damn big cycle.
Original post by l4ith
They are all cycles

And they're the kind of things people put? So most people did actually answer the question :')
Original post by Davey-h7
I hope by respiration you just mean kreb's. I guess you could link H20 made at the end to H20 in photolysis, but that's one damn big cycle.

yeah, i did glycolysis + krebs for the co2 into blood. i was kinda vague on glyco, just stated the move from 6 carbon glucose to 3 carbon pyruvate through redox reactions and oxidative phosphorylation.
Original post by Davey-h7

I linked all of respiration...
NADH to ETC,
ATP to glycolysis,
Pyruvate from glycolysis to link reaction etc... :colondollar:
i think people are clutching at straws with some of these cycles. didn't the question define a cycle as something where the product of the cycle is the start of it?? some people's cycles seem a bit more linear than cyclic
Original post by my_username_rocks
i think people are clutching at straws with some of these cycles. didn't the question define a cycle as something where the product of the cycle is the start of it?? some people's cycles seem a bit more linear than cyclic

It stated cycles are processes where the end product of one is the starting point of another.
Reply 3296
Original post by Yellowducks8

Original post by Yellowducks8
Hey i'm reli worried I messed up my essay and wanted to know what people think - btw you can be brutally honest. :biggrin:

I chose the DNA and its uses in science and technology and talked about;

1) Classification and using DNA hybridisation to find how similar or different organisms are
2) Then talked about DNA fingerprinting and using polymerase chain reaction
3) then i talked about meiosis and how understanding how variation is important is used for conservation (okay i know this is a stretch).

and thats about it :frown:

in vivo/in vitro cloning
genetic enggineering
restriction mapping
sequencing - sort of linked in protein synthesis, some genetic diseases etc talked quite a bit about diseases i think- sort of linked in siRNA too how that can be used to stop translation to cure diseases caused by dodgy genes
PCR
finger printing - paternity tests, forensics, selective breeding
GM crops - resistance, high yield
resistance- MRSA - mutations - CF - gene therapy
im not even sure how i linked some of the things to be honest but it made sense at the time
dunno why but...totipotency, switching on and off of genes - oncogenes
then said a bit about how some guys in america managed to take skin cells on mice, make it a stem cell then used it to cure the mice's sickle cell anemia
and also something about using algae as fuel

(the questions earlier on were horrible so i finished super early, hope i havent put too many irrelevant things )

i knew ther was something i was forgetting...the word hybridisation refused to come to my mind :s-smilie:

ps- sorry if that was too brutal
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by my_username_rocks

Which ones are you referring to?
Reply 3298
Original post by grace=D
in vivo/in vitro cloning
genetic enggineering
restriction mapping
sequencing - sort of linked in protein synthesis, some genetic diseases etc talked quite a bit about diseases i think- sort of linked in siRNA too how that can be used to stop translation to cure diseases caused by dodgy genes
PCR
finger printing - paternity tests, forensics, selective breeding
GM crops - resistance, high yield
resistance- MRSA - mutations - CF - gene therapy
im not even sure how i linked some of the things to be honest but it made sense at the time
dunno why but...totipotency, switching on and off of genes - oncogenes
then said a bit about how some guys in america managed to take skin cells on mice, make it a stem cell then used it to cure the mice's sickle cell anemia
and also something about using algae as fuel

(the questions earlier on were horrible so i finished super early, hope i havent put too many irrelevant things )

i knew ther was something i was forgetting...the word hybridisation refused to come to my mind :s-smilie:

ps- sorry if that was too brutal

How much did you write? It's generally better to focus on three to five different topics and go into them in detail, than it is to write a short amount on 10 different topics. Unless you did like over 6 pages, but that's a bit pointless as you can get full marks with 3 or 4 sides. Personally, I did PCR, genetic screening, genetic counselling, somatic gene therapy, and DNA fingerprinting. For the disease one last year which was practice, I wrote about the same amount as I did in this essay (3 sides) and wrote about four different causes, and got 22/25, so I'm expecting at least 15 this time.
Reply 3299
literally ****ed this paper up big time.
i think ive done good in my essay though, hopefully i'll get upto 20 marks for that.

Then about 20 marks scattered around the paper if im lucky. Haha. :/

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending