The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 4800
were all in this together, so here's a valuable site

http://www.ucl.ac.uk/lapt/laptlite/sys/run.htm?bmat1

^ for CZ
Reply 4801
another TIP

get out a pen, and paper and start writing down basic questions, make them more complex, and twist them.....
Original post by BMAT
Qu. 1: If all the salaries rise by 5% next year, what will the total salary bill be?

hmmm...so basically, if you have ten sets of numbers, and you also have a total, and are asked to work out the new fee, supposing you had a 5% increase to each number

Right, i'd think you needed to calculate each individual value. However, it seems that that is not the case, but calculating the total works...

BUT why?

Imagine all the salaries were of the same value. Take them as x. Total them, make that = y. Therefore, 10x= y.

x times 1.05 + x times 1.05 + x times 1.05.... (10 times) = y times 1.05

But y is just the same as x times 10, so both sides are equal, and that's why they are equivalent.

It can't be A, because we learnt that numbers 3 and 5 are incorrect. In A, number 5, orange, is still the same as before, therefore it's incorrect.

In the other two, grey is included, and grey can't be in because you can't have two that start with the same letter (and green in number 2 is already identified as being correct).

Hence by elimination, C.
haven't posted here in a while,
still in London, but my work experience was amazing :smile: no doubts about wanting to be a doctor anymore!
Reply 4805
Original post by manic_fuzz
haven't posted here in a while,
still in London, but my work experience was amazing :smile: no doubts about wanting to be a doctor anymore!

tell us more

what did you do, what kinds of things? how long for?:smile:
Reply 4806
just phoned for W/E got destroyed.
Original post by BMAT
just phoned for W/E got destroyed.

?!

I got a "NO YOU HAVE TO BE 18" response for asking to volunteer somewhere xD
Reply 4808
Original post by Joseppea
?!

the guy was nice, it said on an email not to phone until after a month you've applied

a friend of mine got a reply 2 days after, and i basically applied at the start of june...so just wanted to know what was going on

yes it said not to phone, but i need this w/e, and just needed to follow it up

did i do some kind of a crime here?
Reply 4809
?!

I hear you. I am sick of this ****. It's not cool seeing that you can't do much while you're not 18. I'm not even allowed to ****ing donate blood. People are dying out there and they won't get my blood cause I'm a few months under 18. I'm chill though, cause I got it all worked out for this summer with a hospice here, in Romania, and I hope I'll be able to convince a family friend-cardiologist to let me shadow her a week or two.
Reply 4810
The BMAT book arrived today, looks good but I don't have time to do any more than make on quick flick. It's a similar format to the 600Q book. Still 2 papers left
Original post by fodé
I hear you. I am sick of this ****. It's not cool seeing that you can't do much while you're not 18. I'm not even allowed to ****ing donate blood. People are dying out there and they won't get my blood cause I'm a few months under 18. I'm chill though, cause I got it all worked out for this summer with a hospice here, in Romania, and I hope I'll be able to convince a family friend-cardiologist to let me shadow her a week or two.

You have to be 17 to give blood. I have given blood twice and I was only 18 last month!
Original post by Got the tshirt
You have to be 17 to give blood. I have given blood twice and I was only 18 last month!

In the UK, I think the OP said they are currently in Romania :smile:
Reply 4813
Original post by Got the tshirt
You have to be 17 to give blood.

Tell this to the Romanians.
Reply 4814
Original post by cz100
The BMAT book arrived today, looks good but I don't have time to do any more than make on quick flick. It's a similar format to the 600Q book. Still 2 papers left

is it good
Reply 4815
?!

care home? I was 16 when I started at a care home...
Reply 4816
Original post by cz100

I thought it hasn't been published yet? Did you order it off amazon?
Original post by BMAT
tell us more

what did you do, what kinds of things? how long for?:smile:

well... if you want the whole story, i was shadowing a cardiologist who works among the Imperial hospitals,
Tuesday- cardiology ward round, catheter labs to watch key hole surgeries for testing the pressure of a lesion in the coronary artery, applying a stent to a lesion, and using a balloon to widen a valve, and standing in on some BRUCE tests
10am-5pm

Wednesday - cardiology ward round, echodepartment to watch ultrasound and Doppler usage for hearts and some random test that increases heart rate to look fro problems, then to the MRI research base to watch some scans and all
8am-5pm

Thursday - cardiology ward round, then to the cardiac centre to watch a pacemaker installation, pacemaker changing, cardioversion (a bit like defibrillation), a TOE, tests to see if tissue in the heart needs to be cauterized due to short circuiting, atrail flutter ismus? ablation, then to the intensive care unit, then to the renal unit
8am-5.15pm

Friday - the cardiology ward round again, watching 6 hours of open heart surgery for a mitral valve replacement as well as detaching the heart from the sternum, and then back to the catheter labs to watch the changing of the wires and installation of a new cardioverter-defibrillator,
8am-7pm

i may have missed out some but y'know :smile: all in all i thought it was really good, my consultant said i'm the second person he's ever taken on who he didn't personally know, and who he didn't interview (i couldn't do an interview being i live in Cornwall/Devon)
Pluses; being able to go right into the surgery and look at everything really close up, talking to the junior doctors on the ward round, being mistaken for a medical student was hilarious
Not so pluses; wearing 'leads' makes you ache, having to take off scrubs to go to lunch, that all the doctors dissuaded me from going to uni in london, the fact that i had to leave

:biggrin: was great though

tl;dr - heart stuff :tongue:
Reply 4818
Original post by manic_fuzz
well... if you want the whole story, i was shadowing a cardiologist who works among the Imperial hospitals,
Tuesday- cardiology ward round, catheter labs to watch key hole surgeries for testing the pressure of a lesion in the coronary artery, applying a stent to a lesion, and using a balloon to widen a valve, and standing in on some BRUCE tests
10am-5pm

Wednesday - cardiology ward round, echodepartment to watch ultrasound and Doppler usage for hearts and some random test that increases heart rate to look fro problems, then to the MRI research base to watch some scans and all
8am-5pm

Thursday - cardiology ward round, then to the cardiac centre to watch a pacemaker installation, pacemaker changing, cardioversion (a bit like defibrillation), a TOE, tests to see if tissue in the heart needs to be cauterized due to short circuiting, atrail flutter ismus? ablation, then to the intensive care unit, then to the renal unit
8am-5.15pm

Friday - the cardiology ward round again, watching 6 hours of open heart surgery for a mitral valve replacement as well as detaching the heart from the sternum, and then back to the catheter labs to watch the changing of the wires and installation of a new cardioverter-defibrillator,
8am-7pm

i may have missed out some but y'know :smile: all in all i thought it was really good, my consultant said i'm the second person he's ever taken on who he didn't personally know, and who he didn't interview (i couldn't do an interview being i live in Cornwall/Devon)
Pluses; being able to go right into the surgery and look at everything really close up, talking to the junior doctors on the ward round, being mistaken for a medical student was hilarious
Not so pluses; wearing 'leads' makes you ache, having to take off scrubs to go to lunch, that all the doctors dissuaded me from going to uni in london, the fact that i had to leave

:biggrin: was great though

tl;dr - heart stuff :tongue:

wow! i read all of that, amazing experience

how did you manage to get this?
Original post by BMAT
wow! i read all of that, amazing experience

how did you manage to get this?

i have no idea :L Imperial Hospitals has an application procedure and i applied in January just before the application procedure shut due to too many people applying :s-smilie: i didn't really expect a place being it said it give priority to people in London, but i guess... what i wrote in my 'personal statement' bit and a lot of luck :redface:

Latest

Trending

Trending