The Student Room Group

Edexcel A2 Biology Unit 5 (6BIO5) - 22/06/2011- OFFICIAL THREAD !

Scroll to see replies

I'm in mixed minds about this test at the moment.. :dontknow:
Some of the questions seemed fair, and they were more or less exactly the same as in past papers, but there were others that I thought seemed a bit vague, and I wasn't too sure what it was asking for. Anybody else find this?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 3121
Original post by Kayak
I cannot believe it took me three days to properly learn aerobic respiration- glycolysis, link reaction, krebs, electron transfer chain- the whole shebang, and it didn't even turn up!?!

same. I was quite angry about that !
I'm not sure if I messed up the 'draw conclusions' question. I put that as we were not told the resting values at 50 and 100 we could not tell if the values were higher and lower than each other, just that they increased by less/more relative to their respective starting rates. No one else seems to have said that so it's probably wrong :frown:

Did anyone write that or something similar?
Original post by pts9
what did people write for their conclusion to the oxygen uptake/heartrate question?

and for the sensitivity pH table thingy did no one leave it as a negative sign to show a decrease? .. just me then :s-smilie:

I did the same thing
i had a negative sign and i continued the solution of the next questions using -1.1 and +0.6
Original post by raednassar
I did the same thing
i had a negative sign and i continued the solution of the next questions using -1.1 and +0.6

Is this for the table we were meant to fill in? I could've sworn they both increased, I even checked :s-smilie::frown:
what you guys think the grade boundaries will be?
Original post by Swagger_Buck
im pretty sure it was 0.8 to 1.4....

oh yeah.. I'm getting confused with my difference which was 0.6
Reply 3127
Original post by bertstare
obtw did anyone write venous return/ stroke volume for the other way in which blood can increase other than heart rate?

i wrote venous return...? not sure if it was write though...complete guess i hated that qs
Unfortunately I did the genetic diagram in pencil and forgot to draw it with a pen again. Do you think that by chance the examiner will see it? I think ive lost those marks because I was too stupid to draw it with a pen
Reply 3129
Original post by monkeyslut27
oh yeah.. I'm getting confused with my difference which was 0.6

yea same i got 0.6 and 1.0 ??
Reply 3130
Original post by prince_azn
what you guys think the grade boundaries will be?

im not sure i hope they're low but someone said 66 for an A* and 60 for an A
Original post by Assrarri
im not sure i hope they're low but someone said 66 for an A* and 60 for an A

Do people mean out of 90 (is that what it's out of?) or a percentage? :confused:
Reply 3132
Original post by sparkle*92
Relatively easy paper. Probably will be the same as usual or even higher...im thinking like 66 for an A* and 60 for A :smile:

if it was an easy paper why would the grade boundaries be so low for an A*...?????
Reply 3133
Original post by Smelly Ellie
Do people mean out of 90 (is that what it's out of?) or a percentage? :confused:

out of 90

so 73%

im not sure thats what others have said

i hope soo
Original post by prince_azn
Unfortunately I did the genetic diagram in pencil and forgot to draw it with a pen again. Do you think that by chance the examiner will see it? I think ive lost those marks because I was too stupid to draw it with a pen

lol i drew it in pencil too. Don't worry about it, they're probably being a bit pedantic asking us to only use black ink anyway
Original post by Naima100
woah didn't even consider that, there goes another 2 marks :/
you're probably right cause it was a very small sample as well, so maybe bigger sample size needed for reliability.
i just summarised the table SHOOT.

hmmm in all previous data questions like that the mark scheme has never had 'no valid conclusions' But that is a really clever answer! Should deffo get marks for it ... But I think from the results, and from the variables that WERE controlled you could draw a conclusion

I wrote that increased heart rate increases efficency of oxygen transport because o2 uptake increased by over 200% from 50 - 100 bpm but ventilation rate decreased with higher heart rate because oxygen was being delivered to respring tissues much faster so ventilation rate could decrease. I also said that heart rate has a greater affect on o2 uptake than ventillation rate and figured out the %age increase of veltillation rate and compared to 'over 200%' but I can't remember what it was now
Reply 3136
Original post by Smelly Ellie
Is this for the table we were meant to fill in? I could've sworn they both increased, I even checked :s-smilie::frown:

Original post by raednassar
I did the same thing

yeah for ages I thought that and kept it positive but then in the last moment I felt that as it was due to sensitivity, the sensitivity would decrease for a lower pH .. but now thinking back i probably should have left it as positive :s-smilie:

ahhh damn why do they have such ambiguous questions!! also they write such essays for the start of each question.. time flies just having to decipher what the hell they are talking about. Especially that freaking seaweed question and speices question for unit 4, if you rush read it then you can easily completely get the wrong end of the jist of the question!

also for that conclusion question, I had NO clue what on earth they were looking for cause they both increased and the data wasn't that clear, so I just summarised the table then said that sound conclusions cannot be made as more data is needed such as cardiac output etc aeek!
Original post by Assrarri
if it was an easy paper why would the grade boundaries be so low for an A*...?????

cause usually to get an A* it's around 64 i think and even though some found it easy, there will be others who didn't so grade boundaries won't jump dramatically..or at least i hope they dont :smile:
Reply 3138
Original post by sparkle*92
cause usually to get an A* it's around 64 i think and even though some found it easy, there will be others who didn't so grade boundaries won't jump dramatically..or at least i hope they dont :smile:

yea ok i see but isnt 64/90 like 70%

shouldnt it be like 90% for an A*

(btw im HAPPY that they are that low...i dont think i did too welll..made some really really stupid mistakes :/)
Original post by gildartz
lol i drew it in pencil too. Don't worry about it, they're probably being a bit pedantic asking us to only use black ink anyway

At the start of my exam the invidulator said use black inc except for diagrams for which you may use pencil :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending