The Student Room Group

AQA - Unit 5 - Energetics, Redox and Inorganic Chemistry

Scroll to see replies

Reply 780
Original post by InItToWinItGetIt?
But then why don't you divide by 50 to get moles in 5cm3 and then do c = n/v, instead of going straight to c = n/v?

Because that mole calculation is for the 25cm3 diluted sample which is taken from the whole 250cm3 sample. In the 250cm3 sample there will be 10x as many moles of the H2O2 than in the 25cm3 sample. These moles will represented the amount of moles that were originally dilluted. As the question asks you to calculate the original conc of the H2O2, you need to get the moles in the 250cm3, not just the25cm3 sample
Im starting to make some very silly errors!!
Here goes another question:

What is the Ar of Fe2+?

:frown:

anyone??

nevermind it was my periodic tables fault, it has Mr's to 1 dp so ive been getting my answers wrong!!
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 782
Could someone explain the colorimetry section in 15.3? This and redox titrations are the only things I have left to do wooooo.
Reply 783
Original post by Sparkly-Star
I see you've posted this loads of times and I wish I knew the answer but I don't. :colondollar: Can anyone else PLEASE answer this thanks? :smile:

Haha!!

Yeah, I thought I was being ignored :tongue:
Thanks
In the NT book, transition metal table. The very last chromium one is Cr(OH)3 which is written different to the rest but is this the same as Cr(H2O)3(OH)3.
Reply 785
HEEEELP! Right, the melting point of al2o3 is lower than MgO because Al3+ is more polarizing so there is a degree of covalent character... but why is it not higher then?! In lattice enthalpies a degree of cov character increases the lattice dissociation because the bonding becomes stronger?

Am i missing something here :s-smilie:
Reply 786
In the NT book, transition metal table. The very last chromium one is Cr(OH)3 which is written different to the rest but is this the same as Cr(H2O)3(OH)3.

Yes, sometimes the H2O isn't shown for some reason ( I think I read that somewhere)
Original post by rrelish
When writing the conventional cell rep. e.g in JAN 10 question 3C
http://store.aqa.org.uk/qual/gce/pdf...W-QP-JAN10.PDF

How do you know if to write the OH- before the H2O or H2O before the OH- ? or does it not matter

Thank you

I thought the OH- was part of the reactants, so you have to put it before H2O which is the product
I see you've posted this loads of times and I wish I knew the answer but I don't. :colondollar: Can anyone else PLEASE answer this thanks? :smile:

think of it this way:

| reduced form| oxidised form ||oxidised form|reduced form|

Putting H2O is never essential, so i never put it to make the answer easier to comprehend :tongue:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 789
can someone please explain what this means from the spec?

"be able to explain why values from mean bond enthalpy
calculations differ from those determined from enthalpy
cycles"

is it simply because it is only a MEAN value averaged over various compounds?

thanks
we don't have to memorise the fuel cells half equations right? if we do thats ridiculous lol

It doesn't matter. They're just 2 different ligands datively bonded to the metal ion. So long as you say which ligands are present, in what proportion and remember your [...] with charge (if any), you'll be fine!
Original post by dents

cycles"

is it simply because it is only a MEAN value averaged over various compounds

thanks

hole in one.
Original post by dents

cycles"

is it simply because it is only a MEAN value averaged over various compounds?

thanks

Exactly that! Say you have a tertiary carbocation and a primary carbocation, the C-H bond will need less energy.

Also, remember molecules which have a covalent character. Theoretical enthalpy is very different to actual enthalpy.

Hope this helps.
Reply 794
Original post by jimmy303
Meh. I typed it out from one tab to another. I got H2O and O2 mixed up. At least we got it sorted...

Good thing I spotted that out! Would of cost you a mark :tongue:
Reply 795
Original post by englishman129
we don't have to memorise the fuel cells half equations right? if we do thats ridiculous lol

No we don't, just need to UNDERSTAND them.
Original post by ceeebs
HEEEELP! Right, the melting point of al2o3 is lower than MgO because Al3+ is more polarizing so there is a degree of covalent character... but why is it not higher then?! In lattice enthalpies a degree of cov character increases the lattice dissociation because the bonding becomes stronger?

Am i missing something here :s-smilie:

The covalent character decreases the affect of the strong attraction between negatively charged ions in the ionic lattice - so the electrostatic forces are weaker.

Hope that helps
Whats the equation for Cr being oxidised by h2O2? cant seem to find it in the book :/
I really don't know what we're supposed to know from the 'cells' part of the spec. How much detail do we need?

As in fuel cells.
Okay last chapter, bring it on. :mad2:

Quick Reply

Latest